Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hiding behind my clothes

I hate the feeling of waking up and not being excited to put on an outfit. I hate seeing photos of women wearing all the styles I would love to, but I feel too big to wear them. I hate going to clothing stores and nothing fits me the way I want it to. It's so frustrating and disappointing... All I wear lately are leggings, one pair of jeans, and blouses because that's ALL I feel comfortable in. I hate that feeling. I know the only thing I can do is keep working out and eating well and hope the weight starts to fall off. I just can't wait to enjoy putting outfits together, and stop hiding my body with my clothing. I saw a photo of me yesterday and it just made me feel so disappointed in myself for letting this happen, for constantly putting it off.

Replies

• ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    You will get there. Each day is a new beginning.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    I remember the first time my jean size slipped under a 30 (I am 6'2 and very muscular/athletic but even so the constraining element was my waist/tummy). It was an absolute revelation.

Now I am lean & muscular enough to wear crop tops and look pretty great in a bikini. The funny thing is that I still have days where I feel bad about my body.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself to get thin ... think instead about getting healthy (in mind and body) because having a form that fits certain clothing is unlikely to make a real difference in your mindset without some serious psychological work. Mental health is first.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    It honestly sounds to me that you need to work on the mental aspects as a priority and learn to love yourself.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    I've been there OP. I would second the suggestion to work on loving yourself now and finding confidence within, as broad and difficult as that may seem. I didn't and even now I gravitate towards what I would have worn 80 lbs ago, just in a much smaller size.

Just so I'm slightly more helpful... you are super pretty, have really great eyebrows, and the top in your 2nd and 3rd photos looks really great on you. Those are just a few positive affirmations you can use. :flowerforyou:
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    You will get there, just don't give up! Be confident in yourself, it will happen, it will!
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    I've been there OP. I would second the suggestion to work on loving yourself now and finding confidence within, as broad and difficult as that may seem. I didn't and even now I gravitate towards what I would have worn 80 lbs ago, just in a much smaller size.

Just so I'm slightly more helpful... you are super pretty, have really great eyebrows, and the top in your 2nd and 3rd photos looks really great on you. Those are just a few positive affirmations you can use. :flowerforyou:

THIS WAS A GREAT POST!
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    I hate the feeling of waking up and not being excited to put on an outfit. I hate seeing photos of women wearing all the styles I would love to, but I feel too big to wear them. I hate going to clothing stores and nothing fits me the way I want it to. It's so frustrating and disappointing... All I wear lately are leggings, one pair of jeans, and blouses because that's ALL I feel comfortable in. I hate that feeling. I know the only thing I can do is keep working out and eating well and hope the weight starts to fall off. I just can't wait to enjoy putting outfits together, and stop hiding my body with my clothing. I saw a photo of me yesterday and it just made me feel so disappointed in myself for letting this happen, for constantly putting it off.

I so could have written this post. Hub constantly is astounded because I have so many clothes laying around but I keep telling him I "have nothing to wear." I can't fit into most of it, or it's seasonally inappropriate even it does fit. I live in two or three baggy pairs of elastic waist pants (same pants, couple of colors), and a couple oversize t shirts that I bought to work out in yet somehow they became my everyday wardrobe instead. I have one or two technically "nicer" tops (meaning, not t shirts) for when I have to dress up.

I look through catalogs at the stuff I want to wear and get so sad. I see the mannequins in the stores dressed so smart and stylish, and sigh. But for the first time, I am seeing success in my efforts and even though those outfits are still a long way off, at least I am much more confident that they are waiting for me instead of lurking out there with me hopeless of ever getting into them.

And TheSlorax is right!!! You are so pretty right now! One thing i will say for "Plus size" fashion, it has come a LONG way from the old-lady polyester crap I was limited to as a teenager (yeah, THAT really made me fit in.) Treat yourself to some cute things that fit your body properly for where you are now, and don't stress out about the number on the label. I know, easier than it sounds. I am still struggling with that last part.

It's time to start weaning you off of your usual leggings and blouses and snazz things up a bit while you are getting fitter every day :glasses: