Good food for on the road?

Options
I am taking my little dog to be cremated on Tuesday and it will be pretty much an all-day affair. I'll have to have lunch on the road and perhaps a snack, too. I was thinking of taking peanut butter and banana to tide me over, but I'm not sure if that will be enough. Does anyone know if I can figure Race Trac hot dogs/sausages the same way I can those from home? Or does anyone have a suggestion for decent food not loaded with carbs and sodium? I'd thought of a Subway veggie delight sub, but I'm not sure if that's substantial enough for the calories I'd take in.

I'm an emotional eater. Last year, when I had her sire cremated, I stopped at the Ryan's and pretty much ate all I wanted. This year, I'd like to avoid that. I know I can eat about four slices at CiCi's for a "reasonable" calorie cost, but if I remember correctly the sodium of their pizzas is through the roof.

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    First of all, I am sorry for your loss... I would go ahead like you said and use Subway, but I would take different kinds of fruit and also do you like string cheese??? Low in calories but nice to have something extra. Do you like multi grain crackers???? Be sure to take extra water. I wish you the best and again sorry..
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    First of all, I am sorry for your loss... I would go ahead like you said and use Subway, but I would take different kinds of fruit and also do you like string cheese??? Low in calories but nice to have something extra. Do you like multi grain crackers???? Be sure to take extra water. I wish you the best and again sorry..

Oh my gosh, I love string cheese! What a great idea . . . it just goes to show where my brain is. :( Thank you for your condolences. Holly has been sick for almost two years, but her brave and tremendous heart couldn't fight any longer. I miss her more than words can say.
  • doodlecakes_07
    doodlecakes_07 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry about your loss.

I think fruit, nuts, and veggies are always great travel food. (fruit and nut bars, nut butters, etc...)
    If you have a lunchbag, you could put a few icepacks in it, and it would definitely last until lunch and probably to snack time. So bring some yogurt, a cheesestick, baby carrots, basically anything easy to grab).

If you want Subway, you could also go with that (but if you get a veggie sub, it's mostly carbs and you might be hungry after).

Best of luck finding something :)
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry for your loss. I know how stressful it is when my cat gets sick, so I understand how immensely stressful losing your dog must have been. Good job trying to avoid emotional eating in such a tough time!

In terms of foods that travel well, veggies, fruit, and bars (Kind and Larabar are my favorites). I'm not sure if you eat meat, but if you do, beef and turkey jerky are great low carb sources of protein (about 80 calories and 13 or 14 g of protein per serving). Just watch out for the sodium in jerky.

Panera, Subway, and Chipotle have good salad options (I'm sure other places do, too, but those are the ones I know best). If you pass a grocery store, you could also stop to see if it has a salad bar. It also seems like travel plazas and convenience stores are doing better with offering healthy options, too. I see things like hardboiled eggs, yogurt, and protein bars pretty regularly when I travel now.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    String cheese, sliced apples, beef jerky, raw almonds, and some dark chocolate.

So sorry for your loss.
  • chelseasans
    chelseasans Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I never leave the house without an apple and one of those 100 calorie raw almond packs that Emerald makes. Simple and nutritious!
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the lost of your dog! They are true companions that are missed. For the road, I have packed Greek yogurt, and turkey breast sandwiches, along with fruit and some tortilla chips. Or if its easier, you could go to Chiptole's, which is a good for the choices they have, fresh ingredients, and you can get a chicken bowl along with your choice of brown or white rice, beans, salsa, and other fairly healthy ingredients.

Edit: I just realized I misspelled Chipotle..sorry.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Sadly, we don't have a Chipotle within 100 miles of my destination, I think. However, I appreciate all the excellent suggestions. I picked up some nuts and will hard-boil a couple of eggs. I'll also buy some carrots, an apple, and some string cheese tomorrow--I always have bottled water in the car, so that's not an issue. Thanks so much, everyone, for making the trip easier. It will be a long wait with nowhere to go and no one to visit and I really didn't want the time to be filled with snacking. If all goes well, her photo should show up as my avatar in a few minutes.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    She is BEAUTIFUL.. she was so lucky to have been loved all those years by you. Take care..