Need to lose weight! Please help

Options
Hi I'm 217 pound 5"10 and I'm 18 year old girl. I'm an apple shape so I have a flat butt and nice legs but big stomach...I really need some advice to lose weight!! Id like to start off losin two pounds a week! I already excersice but my problem is eating unhealthy and over eating. Should I be counting calories and carbs? Is it okay to eat pasta? What will stall and help me lose weight? And what about red meat? I just want to be healthy and lose weight! Looking good is a bonus. Oh and 4 days a week I run on the treadmill for a half hour,olyptical 10 mins and I do the 30 min station at planet fitness.

Replies

• Jesslane93
    Jesslane93 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think counting calories is the best way to do it. I still eat everything I use to, including pasta and red meat. Just lowered the amount I consume to fit into my calorie goal.
  • staceylynn08
    staceylynn08 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started off by reading all food labels and making substitutions. For instance, I would eat whole wheat pasta then I would eventually substitute spaghetti squash for the pasta. I substitute agave nectar for sugar. I also cut out all soft drinks and fruit juice...just water and low/no fat milk. I increased my lean protein and ate lots of steamed vegetables and few fruits. Cut out all the "white" stuff ie. sugar, flour, rice...and no processed foods! It's not too hard, just a different way of eating. I believe a proper diet is 80% of the battle.

Cardio is good, but I have found strength training to be even more beneficial. With strength training you're building/repairing/maintaining muscle which uses up the calories and tones at the same time. I got results in 3-5 months of weight training and proper dieting while it has taken a friend of mine 3-5 years of cardio and poor dieting to drop only a few pounds.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You don't need to cut out anything from your diet or eat only "healthy" foods. Aim for a balanced and varied diet to make sure you're getting the nutrition you need, but eat foods you like. I haven't eliminated anything from my diet, and I eat some sort of treat every day. If you want to have long-term success, you need to have a sustainable plan. My food diary is open if you want to have a look.

To lose weight, you just need to eat at a calorie deficit.

Plug your information and weight loss goals into this website and use it as it's designed (losing 2lbs a week is probably too aggressive for you). Hit your calorie goal, and log everything you eat accurately and consistently. Exercise for overall fitness and eat at least some of your burned calories back.

Oh, and read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Great job on the exercise!!!!

I agree with above... count those calories and figure out where you should be and go from there.
    You CAN do it!!!

Decide later what you want to totally cut, what you keep at moderation, etc.

Will you hit a plateau? YES, most likely. Almost everyone does. Don't worry about it until you do and its not the end of the world. You'll change things up and it will move again.

Drink Plenty of WATER !

Welcome!!!!!
    Glad you're ready to change your lifestyle!