Yoga worth it?

Options
There is not much of a calorie burn and sometimes traditional stretching is still needed. I am not sure if I should do it. What are the benefits?

Replies

• roxanethree
    roxanethree Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've just started it the last few weeks and the stretching is so helpful. I find it boring, but love the feeling of getting my body stretched out, so I'll keep it up.
  • kellyj0729
    kellyj0729 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I also find yoga kind of boring, but I can totally see how many people benefit from it. I am currently doing Pilates, which I love, but not as a workout. I have 10 min DVD I put on after Insanity or Jillian Micheals. It's a great cooldown.
  • Jess732008
    Jess732008 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've just started it the last few weeks and the stretching is so helpful. I find it boring, but love the feeling of getting my body stretched out, so I'll keep it up.

Ok, thanks for the reply.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Yoga is good but I would only recommend it if you don't have any time restrictions. If you work or have kids, etc. you could spend your training time more productively than in a yoga class.
  • edyarn
    edyarn Posts: 12
    Options
    I am addicted to yoga. I may not have lost any weight yet, but I definitely feel stronger and more toned. I recommend it for everyone. If you're looking for faster results, do cardio along with it.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    The only yoga I've done is the P90X and it was great for a calorie burn (not cardio numbers but still good), building flexibility and strength. At least that's what I like about it. It's a once a week workout for me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it depends on your goal. yoga is great, but if you are looking for higher calorie burn and to lose body fat, you're not going to find it only doing yoga.
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I love yoga but it is my warm up for doing a proper work out or to relax. It has helped my flexibility to a point i never thought I could achieve and a nice hatha flow on a stressful day followed by a few minutes of meditation just helps me achieve calmness. ( especially on days im like a hair close to punching the wall or just wanting to cry )
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I do it for relaxation and stretching - I find the breathing calming and I need the extra stretching helps with tight muscles from weight lifting and spinning. Aside from that, you are technically lifting your own body weight, so you do get a strength training workout.

If you're looking for a calorie burner, try cardio. But I do think yoga has its benefits. Keep in mind too that there are different kinds of yoga - perhaps the class you attended wasn't right for you.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You either like it or you don't. It will make you stronger and in better control of your body but it's not the type of activity you do strictly for calorie burns
  • tgsoe
    tgsoe Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do 2 x 1 hour sessions a week, and I am reaping the benefits. It is great incorporated with your cardio and resistence sessions, and will improve your mental and physical wellbeing - muscles look longer and toned ..... all that stuff they spruke about yoga is all true - it's not a gimmick.

As others have said, I wouldn't do it for a calorie burn (I only burn between 80 - 100 cals per session), but it is great for all over body conditioning, and I believe whole-heartedly that it is a massive factor in reducing injuries.

Just try it - give it a month or so, and if you don't feel any benefits, ditch it. It definitely won't hurt you.

Also, depending on your classes, you may find it boring after a while. Just ask your instructor if they do intermediate classes if you get to a point where the basics become boring.
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy it. To me it's incredibly relaxing. I just do it at home though, not in a class.
  • ovi212
    ovi212 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has some pretty ugh yoga videos if you want more of a workout
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I think yoga is worth it. I don't do it because it would take away time from my running but if the day was 48 hours instead of 24 hours, i would run then do yoga or vice versa. I'm obsessed with running so I won't stop for anything. but I do know yoga is great for runners. but i run 6 days a week the 7thday I have a weight management class so no work outs except for my 4 mile walk during work.

in short yes I think yoga is worth it. do yoga 3 times a week and run 3 times a week.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I think yoga is worth it. I don't do it because it would take away time from my running but if the day was 48 hours instead of 24 hours, i would run then do yoga or vice versa. I'm obsessed with running so I won't stop for anything. but I do know yoga is great for runners. but i run 6 days a week the 7thday I have a weight management class so no work outs except for my 4 mile walk during work.

in short yes I think yoga is worth it. do yoga 3 times a week and run 3 times a week.

obviously you don't think yoga is worth it because you don't make time for it.
  • Jess732008
    Options
    I do 2 x 1 hour sessions a week, and I am reaping the benefits. It is great incorporated with your cardio and resistence sessions, and will improve your mental and physical wellbeing - muscles look longer and toned ..... all that stuff they spruke about yoga is all true - it's not a gimmick.

As others have said, I wouldn't do it for a calorie burn (I only burn between 80 - 100 cals per session), but it is great for all over body conditioning, and I believe whole-heartedly that it is a massive factor in reducing injuries.

Just try it - give it a month or so, and if you don't feel any benefits, ditch it. It definitely won't hurt you.

Also, depending on your classes, you may find it boring after a while. Just ask your instructor if they do intermediate classes if you get to a point where the basics become boring.

No, I always felt benefits like a calmer feeling in my body and back in the past, but found it a bit boring, and was not sure if it was really good for you. At my current size, I really need a video or book that will help me do it. It is hard for me to sit on the ground with my legs crossed. My back is extremely tight and legs and arms, too, okay everything!!

I tried the faster yoga in the past and I was still unable to do it. I think it was power yoga. I was about 24 lbs overweight at the time. Still found it hard to do.
  • Jess732008
    Options
    You either like it or you don't. It will make you stronger and in better control of your body but it's not the type of activity you do strictly for calorie burns

No, i like it pretty well, but it seems so simple to really be doing anything. The time flies by for me.
  • frozentrace
    frozentrace Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ive done Hot yoga a few times, and I feel like it helps me to breathe better.

The first time I went in, I felt like I needed to puke, my muscles ached so much and it was very satisfying to realize that as time went by i could do more and more positions, that I previously had to sit out of.

But I haven't done it in over a year lol. but I'm going back to do it in May, since I have 9 more lessons left for my yearly lesson card that expires end of May lol. :D so i'm hoping to stretch all the muscles out in 9 lessons in 1 month :) and i'll be able to reply better if Yoga is really worth it!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Benefits:
    1. I'm a nicer person after I do yoga. I have a long way to go to be a nice person, but it's still an improvement.
    2. If you're tight, then an increase in flexibility is a great thing.
    3. My posture when I'm not doing yoga is pretty good and fantastic when I'm in class
    4. I let things go more often. I hold fewer grudges. I'm more content with "what is".
    5. I can do all sorts of fun poses - I stand on my head, hands, arms; I touch my feet to my head. It makes kids laugh.
    6. I have an entire group of friends I didn't have before.
    7. I enjoy it. If you find something you enjoy, you'll stick with it. If you enjoy kickboxing, then by all means do that. If you like yoga, than do that too. You'll be much healthier and happier of you find things you enjoy.
    8. I'm all around stronger than I used to be.
    9. If I'm stressed out, I can go stand on my head for a bit, and I feel better.
    10. Yoga helps me be more aware of the effect food has on my body. I notice if I have too much caffeine, my palms sweat. If I eat junk, I feel like junk.

So, yeah, I think it's worth it. Try a bunch of different styles. And if at all possible, go to class!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    it depends on your goal. yoga is great, but if you are looking for higher calorie burn and to lose body fat, you're not going to find it only doing yoga.

- much depends on what style of yoga and how much effort and intensity you put into it.

edit to add: calorie burn is over-rated vs calorie deficit if trying to lose weight steadily. You get far more from yoga than a few more calories to eat a day if you apply yourself to it.