heart skips a beat

Options
does anyone else experience their heart skipping a beat during and after exercise? I dont always feel it but sometimes i do. I am not sure if I should be worried or not...

Replies

• therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    You should see your doctor about this, just in case.
  • groucherella
    Options
    My heart does this alot, but I have a regular cardiologist that I see for other problems. Everyone is different so I'm not sure what is normal for you and your heart. For me, I'm told the skipping and fluttering is normal and actually should decrease the more I work out.
  • groucherella
    Options
    also, do you drink any energy drinks? take any energy pills? Or diet pills? You don't have to answer out loud, but they could contribute to the skipping.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely see a doc as well. You could have a heart murmur or arrhythmia you're not aware of.

I do have a skip or flutter every once in awhile, but it started in my teens when I was in the Air Force. Ironically they only happened when I was doing PT and they diagnosed them as panic attacks. I thought, why would I be panicking when I'm exercising, but that's really the only time I notice it.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,300 Member
    Options
    I have this too. It was picked up when I went for a routine BP check while I was on the BC pill, it frightened the nurse to daeth and I ended up having an ECG done there and then. But my Dr said not only was it nothing to worry about but that its actually quite common.
    I'd get it checked out just incase, but I wouldn't worry too much.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    also, do you drink any energy drinks? take any energy pills? Or diet pills? You don't have to answer out loud, but they could contribute to the skipping.

No i never do energy drinks. I tried diet pills forever ago and my doc freaked out lol. the closest i come to anything like that is two cups of coffee in the morning and sometimes a diet dr. pepper in the afternoon and I only drink about 1/4 of it. I am a smoker too. not sure if thats important lol
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    i have only experienced something similar to this one other time. dr said it was anxiety and as soon as my brother moved out it went away. but why would i feel that during exercise? seems weird. but they dont always happen during exercise. this was the first time today in forever and they were gone within a few min
  • groucherella
    Options
    Oh, That reminds me...my cardiologist told me to lay off the caffeine too! Also, I had a golf ball sized lump removed from my breast last year and the culprit was determined to be caffeine. My love affair with Caffeine is a one way street apparently. I love it, but it doesn't reciprocate.
  • NoahVail
    Options
    azlady-
    There are two basic types of irregular beats. You are most likely feeling what are called PAC's,or premature atrial contractions. The big culprits for causing these: caffeine,nicotine,alcohol,electrolyte imbalances. Probably no big deal,but it should be worked up.