Help…Sugar intake advice needed

Options
abeare
abeare Posts: 510 Member
I like to play around with my settings now and again to track not just my calories but to make sure I’m getting enough protein & fiber, and staying within limits for carbs, fat, sodium, etc… Today I decided to add the sugar to my options so that I can track that too. But I’m way over and the day’s only halfway done!
I find it hard to believe that my daily sugar goal should be 24g maybe refined sugar only, but it’s calculating natural sugar too. Just the cup of grapes I had is half my sugar for the day!?!?
I need help understanding this, what should my sugar intake be?

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    That is the tricky thing about sugar, There are different types and MFP doesn't seperate them.

Also, it surprised me just how much sugar are in things that you think are healthy. It is important for me to keep my blood sugar low and even simple thing like Fat Free milk has like 12G of sugar in it.

The rule of thumb is, never eat anything that has over 5 g of sugar per serving. But if blood sugar is not a problem then go with what good for you.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. I am always over with sugar even though it all comes from healthy food and fruit. Nothing processed or sugar added. I finally gave up trying to stay within the guidelines. I need my fruit!
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Thats what was getting me so confused! How am i to get in my daily fruit requirements if i go over in sugar everytime!
    I was really trying to balance things out and make sure i dont over indulge in anything, but i guess i shouldnt worry if my sugar intake is mostly from healthy calories.