Calories burned from daily activity

How accurate do you reckon the calories burned estimation is under My Home --> Goals --> Your Diet Profile --> Calories Burned --> From Normal Daily Activity is? I've filled in things (like activity level) accurately, but the number seems high. Thoughts?

Replies

• skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    After getting a fitbit I had to adjust mine. It had me burning 2800 calories a day. Some days I burn that, but most days I don't burn that.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Everything is just an estimate, however, I found it worked just fine for me.
  • RyanTahiti
    RyanTahiti Posts: 51 Member
    How accurate do you reckon the calories burned estimation is ... the number seems high. Thoughts?

After 415 days of logging, I mapped my actual weight vs. actual net calories, and MFP's estimated "Calories Burned From Daily Activity" is about 400 calories (25%) too high. That's a lot. And I've had it set to "Sedentary" the whole time, even though I'm somewhat active during the day. In my case, if the "Projected Weight Loss" were true, I'd weigh less than my toddler by now!

Lesson learned? Everybody's metabolism, etc. is different, so don't take the one-size-fits-all calculation too seriously. Stick with my favorite rule: always overestimate your calories in, and underestimate your calories burned.