help needed please - wanting to start going to the gym

Options
Hi everyone, I lost about 30kg over 5 years ago but have recently put about 6kg back on. I'm trying to eat less and have just joined up with the gym, planning to do some cardio and some weights (machines/free weights/crossfit type stuff). I mostly just want to lose a few kg and replace it with muscle so I'm smaller overall. MFP has me set at 1200 cals but another calculator worked out to be 1,311 cals so that's what it's set at at the moment. I'm just a bit unsure if this is enough that I'm eating, also do I need to eat more on the days I go to the gym? I have a desk job and am sitting for 95% of the day.
Thanks in advance for any help/advice :)

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    You'll probably want to eat more on the days you're active, emphasizing lean protein. FYI tart cherry juice (or whole fruit fresh or frozen) can ease the pain of DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). Be sure and read the label to get 100% tart cherry juice.

You want to make sure you're getting enough calories to get you through your workout and through recovery, plus the nutrients you need. 1311 probably isn't enough for someone lifting weights with the goal of toning up, let alone packing on muscle. But it depends on your height, current weight, age and goals.

At 5'3 and 136, I eat 1500-1600 a day when I'm active. I do HIIT training, weight training and power yoga.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    The best way to figure out what calorie level is best for you is by trial and error. Give 1300 cal/day a try for a week. Hit all your workouts and log ALL of your food. Hit that calorie mark everyday, and after a week see how your body reacts. If you lose 0.5-1 kg, you're good. If you lose more, you may want to add in some calories. If you don't lose enough, try 1200 cal/day for a week. Follow this method, and you'll figure out what is best for you.

Allan