How did you find an exercise that you love?

Options
I really need to learn to practise consistency. All my life I've had a tendency to jump from one type of exercise to the next, and never really commit to any one type. Most of the time I end up getting bored of what I'm going and move on to something else...

So far I've tried basketball, volleyball, hockey, multiple gyms and classes such as body attack, hiking, walking, running, pilates, yoga, cycling, swimming, TABATA, HIIT, 30 Day Shred and Ripped In 30. I've found the only activities I really enjoy are yoga (only in a class), cycling, hiking, swimming (in summer only) and walking. My trouble is that these alone are not enough. I need something that I can do to build muscle as well as endurance... and I have no idea where to start as I ended up hating every other exercise I've tried!

How did you find an exercise that you love? Can anyone suggest a program that I could follow (I like structure)?

Replies

• hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Have you tried working with a trainer?
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's all trial and error with me. That's the best way for me to discover a work out that I love.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    For some things you just have to make it a habit, do something you like most of the time and then just get the strength work done one or two days a week no matter what. You can make deals with yourself like if you don't miss a strength day all month you get to buy something you've been wanting or whatever. My other suggestion wold be a trainer that is going to mix up the workouts so you aren't doing the same thing all the time.
  • castael
    castael Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I was really out of shape, I joined a gym and on the second day I decided to try Bodyattack, it was the 78th release, which was a good one anyway plus I have an amazing instructor and I think that helps a lot. But I liked bodyattack mostly because it's this sports-inspired workout and I used to do track and field and play volleyball and basketball and football and that's pretty much how I found my favourite class on the second day of going to the gym. But I take it you don't really like Bodyattack.

Have you tried Bodyjam or Bodypump? Bodyjam is really really fun and also a pretty great workout, and I'm sure you know about pump.

I suggest you try going to the same class for at least a couple of times, you might start to like them.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I personally love strength training more then most workouts. I enjoy doing push up's so I do more of them then most other workouts. I learned to love them after I realized how good I felt after I did them, not sure why but even jogging bleachers don't bring the amazing feeling I get with push up's, I love my bleacher runs and miss them so much, can't wait to hit them again but there is something about push up's that I really just love.
  • Reichelt152
    Options
    I don't like exercise BUT as an Aussie Rules lover here's what I do..... twice a week I get down on the oval for an hour and have shots at goal. I sometimes sprint 40-50m to retrieve the ball, sometimes run, sometimes jog. Occasionally throw in some push ups and squats. By working with the footy and concentrating on the goals and my kicking, it distracts me perfectly. I've found its a great workout for me. The other thing is doing my twice weekly weights session in front of the telly. More distraction.
  • KeshiaBeard
    Options
    So jealous of you all that have found something you love! Unfortunately I'm not in a position to be able to afford a personal trainer, all the trainers in my area charge upwards of $30 an hour...
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I've realised I need to follow a program otherwise I don't push myself enough. I never thought I'd enjoy lifting weights I used to find all the "lift heavy" posts annoying lol but I gave it a go and surprise surprise I love it.

My husband used to talk to me about karate for years n my eyes used to glaze over. ..then my boys started training and I used to watch them and found it really interesting. Guess what, I started karate over a year ago and am very paasionate about it!

Even if it might not originally appeal to you may well be worth giving it a go!
  • TheFitHooker
    Options
    So jealous of you all that have found something you love! Unfortunately I'm not in a position to be able to afford a personal trainer, all the trainers in my area charge upwards of $30 an hour...

No one "LOVES" exercising, they lie if they say they do. But out of all them that's what I prefer. Thing is, it's called a workout for a reason, it's not suppose to be fun, going to work every day isn't fun, neither is working out, it's work. When someone say's they love to workout, what they really mean is, they love how they feel after it's over, they love results they get from it, they love that they don't feel like killing someone cus they took it all out on the workout lol.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I just kind of try all the things, and then go back to what I like. My biggest problem is there isn't enough time to do everything I love. A couple of activities (Krav Maga in a studio and weight lifting in a structured program) are scheduled and make up the core of my fitness activity. Other things, I fit in when and where I can... mixing it up like that keeps it fun and always gives me things to look forward to.

In your case, you're looking for something to build strength and it looks like most of the things you enjoy doing are outdoors. Perhaps you would enjoy rock climbing or rowing/kayaking?
  • frozentrace
    frozentrace Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't exactly love exercising, but I love watching youtube.

So I just have a iPad infront of me, with my favourite show on, and I start the treadmill. with the incline up and just keep walking till the show is over.. which is like probably 7km later lol. I don't force myself to run but I do push the speed up sometimes to 8kph, any faster and my iPad falls down cause the treadmill is shaking too much. But at the end, I exercise an average of 1 hour a day 6-7km brisk walked.
  • TattooedNici
    Options

No one "LOVES" exercising, they lie if they say they do. But out of all them that's what I prefer. Thing is, it's called a workout for a reason, it's not suppose to be fun, going to work every day isn't fun, neither is working out, it's work. When someone say's they love to workout, what they really mean is, they love how they feel after it's over, they love results they get from it, they love that they don't feel like killing someone cus they took it all out on the workout lol.

You're on point, except for not being able to 'love' a work out. I love Insanity and love doing it. The benefits are something I love, too.

Years ago, I quit drinking and went straight into detox. To keep the shakes and the urge to drink at bay (yes, I went to see a doctor beforehand), I started running. I feel in love with it and would put it above everything else. It eventually led me to start running twice per day and a minimum of 30 minutes at each session. It helped me physically and emotionally. I don't regret making that decision to start running.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Tried a couple. Found out what I like and what I didn't. Did the one I liked.

The one I liked has changed over time but I always find something active that I enjoy. That is mainly for the cardio side of things. Lifting heavy things is sort of just engrained in me now.
  • TheFitHooker
    Options

You're on point, except for not being able to 'love' a work out. I love Insanity and love doing it. The benefits are something I love, too.

Years ago, I quit drinking and went straight into detox. To keep the shakes and the urge to drink at bay (yes, I went to see a doctor beforehand), I started running. I feel in love with it and would put it above everything else. It eventually led me to start running twice per day and a minimum of 30 minutes at each session. It helped me physically and emotionally. I don't regret making that decision to start running.

I'm on point, you love how you feel from it, but do you ever just hate doing it? It's the after affect you love. No one ever regrets a workout. I have done insanity and honestly hate doing it, but love LOVE how I feel afterwards.
  • TattooedNici
    Options

I'm on point, you love how you feel from it, but do you ever just hate doing it? It's the after affect you love. No one ever regrets a workout. I have done insanity and honestly hate doing it, but love LOVE how I feel afterwards.

Oh, yeah, there are times I hate a work out. Not going to lie. But, there are times I love it! Maybe, I'm just a weird person. Meh.
  • TheFitHooker
    Options

Oh, yeah, there are times I hate a work out. Not going to lie. But, there are times I love it! Maybe, I'm just a weird person. Meh.

I think I know what you mean, there are more day's when I'm craving a workout, which would be an indicator of loving a workout, which I do because I know the feeling after it and know that I'll never regret it.
  • TattooedNici
    Options

I think I know what you mean, there are more day's when I'm craving a workout, which would be an indicator of loving a workout, which I do because I know the feeling after it and know that I'll never regret it.

See, that's what I try to explain to some people as to why I like the treadmill, Beachbody workouts and other intense stuff. Heck, I like pilates and yoga (not always, but still) and I still get the 'you're an idiot' or some other negative remark. It's a good thing I'm living for me and not for them.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I usually get bored of one type as well. At the gym I was always a combo of running, climbing, cycling, spin class, yoga, aerobics, weights, couple of PT sessions.

Mostly on a weekly basis now I ride my bike, because gym was too expensive and I thought back to what I enjoyed when I was a kid that kept me fit- I used to just ride my bike up and down hills all day for the rush at the bottom. So that's what I do now, three or four times a week.

I keep it interesting by seeking out new routes on Google maps and setting challenges for myself like going at a better speed or longer distance than I have before, a new hill to make it up, or I also like looking at my HRM and trying to get my heart rate up more often. Music also helps keep it interesting and motivating. I sometimes ride where theres heaps of cute guys, or I can see wildlife and take pics. (Of the latter, not the former :P)

Or I ride for a purpose-such as every month I get up early and ride to and from a farmers market that is on. I have my 'go to' routes which are just around my house and about 300-500 calories there and back, thats for when I don't have heaps of time, but on weekends I explore and challenge myself.
  • Rachifloon
    Rachifloon Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm in a situation where money is slightly sparse so a £40 gym membership a month is out of the question, and being exceedingly self-conscious and living in an area with so many rude youths has halted me from going out and running (tried it once, insulted not even 10 minutes in, never again), so I turned to YouTube and found Blogilates. Tried a few videos and luckily I kind of fell in love with it immediately. The monthly workout calenders really take to stress out of building your own workout (at the beginning, anyway) and encourage you to do each day and not miss one. The instructor, Cassey Ho, is an absolute bubbly delight that keeps me smiling and motivated to push through, without being annoyingly so.

I can only suggest when looking for a frequent form of workout, don't just do a new thing once. Do it a few times, give it a chance, and then you can decide if it's something you want to do in the long run. c:
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options

I actually do love running and martial arts...even in the middle of it. Hill climbs and intervals, I like after the fact but not as much during. Really though, when I am out on a long run, that is my "me time" where nobody is bothering me or needing anything. My mind can wander where it will. I'm tired at the end and my legs may feel rubbery but I will still have a smile on my face and love doing it right then. Oh, and I just ran13.1 yesterday without walking. :)