How do you record marinades?

Options
I'm just curious how you would claim marinades, like in beef jerky for example. I get that the meat is going to soak up the flavors (sort of the point), but then afterwords you only take out the meat, and throw away the rest of the marinade. I feel like you shouldn't claim the whole thing, because its not like your making a soup or drinking it (gag...gross lol)

What is the best way to enter that into your food?

Replies

• NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Or like if you fry a food in canola/vegetable oil etc? I usually have oil left over that I pour on my dogs food (lucky them).

Would you just measure the difference it what you started with and whats left?
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Nice ticker.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i struggle with this too, but because i am watching sodium for my hubby and I (he has the bad heart history in his family) i record the full amount. it may cheat me but it inspires both of us to eat our salad's and veggies plain and enjoy the flavor on the meat. similarly if you cook with wine technically you concentrate the sugars and burn off the alcohol but still there is no exact conversion so i get the worst case guess of the wine before i added it to the pot. if you weren't watching sodium or sugars you may chose to do something differently.
  • Can you measure the amount of marinade you start with, and then measure the amount that you throw away? Then divide the remaining amount based on how many pieces of jerky you have. SO ... If you start with 2 cups .... And let's just say for the sake of argument ('cause I sure don't know) that you pour into a measuring cup the marinade you have left after removing the jerky .... Again for the sake of the example ... You have 1 cup of marinade in your measuring cup, and you dump this out ..... This means that your jerky has soaked up 1 cup of marinade .... And (yeah ... the example thing again) you have 10 pcs of jerky .... So on your calculator you take the 10 pcs x the 8ozs of marinade = .8ozs marinade/piece of jerky.

:wink: Math isn't my strong quality .... All feel free to laugh if I'm wrong! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Or like if you fry a food in canola/vegetable oil etc? I usually have oil left over that I pour on my dogs food (lucky them).

Would you just measure the difference it what you started with and whats left?

Unless I have a lot of oil left in the pan I usually count whatever I started with (but then the most canola or olive oil I ever use is 1 tblsp) .... But, as in with the marinade, you could measure the oil you pour off. In most of these cases it will still be, somewhat of a guesstimate .... But though I want to count whatever I consume ... I really prefer not to count what I haven't consumed.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    But though I want to count whatever I consume ... I really prefer not to count what I haven't consumed.
    [/quote]

Ya, thats me. I have bad enough days sometimes, adding extras in would not help me in the slightest lol.