About to throw out my scale!!! UGH!

Options
I am a little discouraged...I weighed yesterday and have gained 1 lb in a week!!! I have been doing some sort of circuit training with weights incorporated pretty much everyday for 4 weeks and I was just wondering if it could possibly be me gaining muscle? I do notice some firmness where flab used to reside...just didn't know if in only 4 weeks I could have enough muscle gain that my weight would go up... I know you can have normal daily fluctuations in weight, but come on...I am working my butt off and I think I'm eating pretty decent. Actually, in the last 2 1/2 weeks the only movement in my weight is I have gained a pound!

I am SOOO aggravated at the scale and am tempted to throw it out!!! It seems everytime I weigh I get down...either I didn't lose enough or like yesterday...I GAINED!!! Anyone else just flat out not weigh themselves and focus only on inches and the way you feel or your clothes feel?

Replies

• udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    It definitely can be muscle! Don't be discouraged. At times like this, sometimes the fat coming off and your pants fitting better is the best measurement!
  • Moonlitdove
    Options
    I was going through the same thing and have banned my scale for the month. I took one last weigh in the first week and now I'm just not worrying about it. Instead I just focus on tracking and getting in activity every day. I think stress has a very big effect on how you lose and gain and I know the scale always stresses me out beyond belief.

As for the muscle gain I don't really have an answer. But I do know that you can go up a pound overnight if you had something salty the night before for dinner. Water will hold on for awhile and that always drives your weight up.

Just keep going that stupid scale will reward you in the end!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    My weight can fluctuate up to 4 lbs in 1 day. I agree lay off the scale for a while and concentrate on going through the steps- the calories and hydrating and working out. You and the scale need time apart to grow ;-)
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Best thing you can do is throw it out and stop weighing in. Use the tape mesure instead.
  • rosef17
    rosef17 Posts: 89
    Options
    Are you taking your measurements also? you should take them every other week or so, sometimes you see improvement in that and not the scale
  • jENNiP125
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, that is the time when we are the most vulnerable to start slipping up. It sounds like you are doing all the right things-- and you have already lost 10! Gaining muscle is essential in losing weight because muscle burns fat! Your body is going to react differently at different times; I would advise you to keep doing the circuit training. Maybe add a walk to your daily routine for 30 minutes if you are concerned. I know that the scale is not always our friend. I'm trying to lose the last 10, and haven't seen the scale move in a few weeks. Keep your head up!
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Also if you are working out extremely hard you will retain water in the natural process of muscle repair. Good luck on your journey.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    If you're getting this upset over a number, I agree, toss the scale.
    Or at least hide if and only weigh once a month.
    Go by measurements or how your cloths fit.
    Some people stress more on the number and then get all disapointed.
    Toss the scale if you have to.
    Just stick with the working out and heating healthy!
  • lydiaanne1977
    lydiaanne1977 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've done the weight loss thing before. I find that it's pretty easy to lose the first 10-15 lbs, then it takes a little longer to register more weight loss. In general, if you have less then 30lbs to lose, it does take more work. But remember, it's not all in vain. Longer doesn't mean impossible
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I agree don't look at the scale and take measurements. If your weigh in is that stressful then do so less. Instead of doing a weekly weigh in, do it monthly or do it only when you see your doctor since they weigh you in anyway. I have to go in and face it every 3 months for birth control shots etc, (in which i am still losing weight..its a miracle) Good luck and do not give up! You can do this!!
  • Shash27
    Shash27 Posts: 172
    Options
    Agree about the measurements. I measure once a month and I see a difference :-) Really boosts my confidence when the scale isn't moving as much as I would like it to :smile:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    The real question is how often do you step on the scale? It is easy to become obsessed with the numbers and many things can affect that number, including a salty meal the night before or being dehydrated. The closer you get to your goal weight the harder it is too. I'm not one for using the "it's gained muscle" theory, I have heard too many times from doctors and other professionals that is not typically the reasoning behind a gain because a pound is a pound is a pound.

My advice is to first measure your body and then measure once a month to see what changes your body is making physically that you may not otherwise notice.

Make a weigh day, I put a sticky note on my scale that says if it isn't Monday step away. I weigh once per week ONLY and if it's anywhere near TOM I don't step on the scale at all because I know that I can and have gained anywhere from a single pound and as mush as 8lbs in the week or so before TOM.

Keep in mind that you may have also hit a plateau and you may need to increase the intensity of your workouts in order to keep losing or you may need to recalculate your caloric needs. I have to do this about every 10lbs. I increase my cardio by 20% and up my weights.

Don't let one lb get in the way of you continuing on and letting your scale rule your mood is something you need to get past because you are more than that number on the scale and there are always road blocks, it's getting past them that helps us learn and create positive and permanent change in our lives.
  • amkingrn
    amkingrn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the quick responses and advice everyone!

I took my measurements for the first time day before yesterday when I started the 30 day shred. I am going to remeasure after the 30 days...if I can hold off that long..lol. I do think I have an obsession with the numbers and I have pretty much decided the scale is the devil!!!

I am going to stop weighing weekly and may only weigh monthly...if that often. I have always felt like the numbers going down is my motivation, but since I have gotten a little closer to 30 and after having 2 kids I have found the numbers don't go down quite as easily...sooo I need to find a different motivation. I am going to try to use the fact that I am now taking better care of myself than I ever have as my driving force!!!

I am going to make this about doing this for me, my health and my future with my husband and kids and not about the scale!!! I can not lose my motivation as I have done so many time before...I WILL do this!!!
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    It can definitely be muscle. Try weighing yourself once a month for now on and MEASURE YOURSELF. Get a tape measure if you don't have one.
  • DayAtATime
    Options
    I am an advocate of weighing more frequently than less frequently. I know that my weight will flucuate a few pounds with water weight, etc. and I realize this every time I get on the scale. I had a big drop (for me) on Monday and I am up about 1 lb today. I ate under my calories yesterday so I will eventually see the lower weight again and know that I am not gaining weight. When I don't weigh frequently, it gives me a bigger reason to slip that day...I will say to myself, Oh, I'll make that up tomorrow. If I don't weigh the next day, I can procrastinate until I am not weighing at all and making up all sorts of reasons why my clothes are tight. So, in my opinion, it all depends on the individual and what works best. Whatever way you go, if you are eating below your caloric intake, you will lose weight...myabe not as fast as you would like..but lose.