Protein Shakes & Smoothies Recipes

Options
Hey all! Since I have never done this before anyone have any recipes to share? Such as, do you use milk vs. soy milk or flavored? vanilla? almond? Do you use ice or not to use ice? I am thinking of picking up a vanilla and a chocolate flavor and doing these two recipes:

A. Milk, yogurt, frozen fruit & vanilla protein powder
B. Milk, peanut butter & chocolate protein powder

Thoughts???

Replies

• Sharonbed4d
    Options
    I think it's mostly a matter of preference. I use skim milk and when I use yogurt, I use Greek strained since it's higher protein. I use frozen fruit so I don't use ice. Calories can add up quickly in smoothies so I normally use them as my breakfast after I workout.
    Here's a few I have for meal replacement for breakfast:

Very berry smoothie
    8 oz skim milk
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1/2 cup mixed berries ( I use get them from Costco)

Power Breakfast smoothie
    1/2 cup low sugar grapefruit juice
    1/3 cup Trop 50 Orange Juice
    1/2 cup Greek strained yogurt
    1 scoop vanilla protein
    1/2 frozen banana

Chocolate Peanut butter
    8 oz skim milk
    1 scoop chocolate protein
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    1/2 frozen banana
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    i use a light vanilla soy milk or rice milk but thats because i'm lactose intolerant and that much milk upsets my stomach. both of those sound delicious though (and i'm speaking from experience here) a natural peanut butter like the kind that seperates ends up becoming grainy and gross in a smoothie. you're gonna want to get the kind thats super smooth like Jif. if you dont want a sugary peanut butter like that they do make some natural peanut butters that dont seperate and are smooth LIKE Jif.

if you use frozen fruit there is no need for ice because the fruit IS the ice. and a shake with peanut butter in it will be thick enough.

as a tip, you can also freeze your regular yogurt to make it "frozen yogurt" helps thicken it as well :)

enjoy your shakes! :D
  • 2blueeyes
    Options
    I have a protein shake every morning (Herbalife). I use Vanilla but there are so many flavors. I use 1 Cup 1% milk, 2 oz of greek yogurt (any flavor), I cup fresh fruit whenever possible, or frozen if not, a splash of vanilla extract and 6 ice cubes. It's delicious and you can change it up with the flavors of yogurt or fruit you use. If you use frozen fruit with no ice it comes out nice and thick.
  • PuppyBandit
    Options
    I use a coupld of ice cubes, or if I have time, I'll put drink in freezer for 20 min to turn into a shake

I have quite a few I've been experimenting with, here are my favs:

1 cup cold coffee
    1 cup skim milk
    1 pkg chocolate protein powder
    2-4 splenda packets (optional)

1 coconut or pina colada yogurt
    1 yogurt container skim milk
    1/2 yogurt container pineapple juice
    1 pkg vanilla protein powder

1 strawberry yogurt
    1 pkg vanilla or strawberry protein powder

1 orange yogurt
    1 pkg vanilla protein powder
    (creamsickle smoothie)

and here is one I am going to try closer to thanksgiving, I will probably have to 'tweak" it to make it taste like pumpkin pie

1 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup canned pumpkin (not the pumpkin pie filling)
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1 pkg unflavored protein powder