Heart Rate too high? Max 214 during 6 mile run.

Options
I'm training for a marathon & am trying to increase my running speed.

I'm pushing it pretty far, but today my HRM (I have a Polar F-6) read a max HR of 214! I'm confused as to if this is even possible and if there are any health risks involved.

Any input is appreciated.

Candace @ http://infitation.wordpress.com/

Replies

• taylorgirl
    Options
    I have a Polar F4 and have often experienced the same thing. According to my trainer this will sometimes happen during intense training or cardio that involves running for a long period of time at a high energy level. Your heart rate isn't actually beating at that rate. After hitting your max it will sometimes show a high reading or go to 00! It's the instrument. As long as dizziness or some other symptoms of fainting does not occur just allow time for your HRM readjust to its normal pattern. Keep running and good luck with the marathon!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I agree with Taylor. but keep your eye on your HRM. Mine started doing that, then it just stopped completely. So it might just be your HRM going bad (if it's old).
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I've been running with my Polar for 8 months and haven't ever seen mine that high. I'm fairly certain your HR wasn't that high as you appear to be in pretty decent shape already. I hit 190 during my 10K race on Monday but that's the highest mine's ever gone. I bet it was just a glitch, check to make sure that strap is tight and all that...the battery could also be on it's way out.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    If you hit and stay around that number for a good period of time then that's a problem. I have once trained at 180 bpm for a hr and I felt like I was dying afterwards. I would worry a little bit.

As 200's is not normal for anyone unless you are running full sprints!!!!
  • minus15go
    Options
    Thanks guys!