tips to help with post workout muscle pain?

Options
ct320
ct320 Posts: 89 Member
Hi All

I did my first body pump sesh yesterday - loved it :) ... but my thighs are so sore today, don't get me wrong I'm all for no pain no gain :laugh: but its so hard to bend and even stand up/sit down which is hard when keeping up with a 1 year old whos into everything lol

Is there anything I can do to ease the pain?

Replies

• elroberto78
    Options
    The first time's always the worst. But I've found taking an icebath soon after helps. Also a friend recommended to me I take some BCAA's. Most vital though is rest. Make sure you get some quality sleep. That's your body's cue to repair. But if you're working it hard there'll always be at least a little ache the next day. It's a sign that you succesfully managed to introduce micro-tears to the muscle fibres. They'll grow stronger to cope with the next time.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I try to enjoy it. :bigsmile:
    As long as it's not too severe it's a sign I've done something productive.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Feel your pain :flowerforyou:

It will get much easier and shorter recovery if you are going to be doing it regularly but for the time being I would just rest and don't try and do anything intense which you are feeling so sore. It will pass.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Eat all the protein!
  • ct320
    Options
    Thans guys :smile:

I will try all your advice, I have aquafit tommorow so hoping the gentle exercises will sort me out as I booked in for body pump again (I'm thinking rather ambitiously now lol) on friday and sunday!

x
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    Protein, Compression, ice bath, moving around to work blood through the muscle.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    it wont be as bad in the future. it kind of sucks during the day, but usually isn't as noticable after you get into a workout.
  • LanceKarcher
    LanceKarcher Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Something that absolutely works is stretching after the exercise.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Eat all the protein!

yesss
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Make sure you do a cool down with plenty of stretching, eat lots of protein and I find some gentle exercise when I feel sore helps ease it.
  • ct320
    Options
    thanks :) ... still quite achey today but slightly better, noticed yesterday its really hard to get protein (with the foods I have been eating anyway) so I could do with working on that!

Going to an aquafit class later so hopefully the gentle exercise there will help x
  • alizamanuk
    Options
    Just get someone with good hands to give you a massage - load your protien with chciken etc -
    Or visit the sauna this normally helps -

but get back in the gym - the more you move around the better :)
  • noni1989
    noni1989 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I take a calcium and magnesium tablet daily and i find these have helped! it is more of a long term solution than a quick fix though