Diet Soda

Options
Is diet soda really that bad for you if you are still consuming 8 glasses of water per day? I usually have a diet soda to curb my sweet tooth instead of reaching (and binging on chocolate). I know it has some sodium in it but I still make sure that I get my 8 glasses of water per day and stay within my alloted sodium. Could this be holding my weight loss progress back or is it probably not making much of difference?

Thanks for the help:drinker:

Replies

• Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cans a day more or less.. But I stretch them out w/ ice...
  • spambubbles
    spambubbles Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. But usually when I drink a diet soda it makes me crave sweets more. LOL. Try chewing gum, if you're concerned about the soda, to curb your sweet tooth ... works for me.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    soda is that bad for you :( google the artificial sweetener side effects. It's garbage. I've become a big advocate of local raw honey. Wonderful!!! Stick w/tea & water ;) If you want to be healthy! I eat 1 piece of dark chocolate everyday :)
  • KaylaBlu2019
    KaylaBlu2019 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You know, I do the same thing. I make sure I get my water but I will have a 12oz glass of diet soda and I wonder the same thing. I think the artificial sweeteners are whats so bad. I'm trying to ween off completely.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Are we talking 1 12oz can? Probably not, but there are a ton of people who will disagree with me.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    soda is that bad for you :( google the artificial sweetener side effects. It's garbage. I've become a big advocate of local raw honey. Wonderful!!! Stick w/tea & water ;) If you want to be healthy! I eat 1 piece of dark chocolate everyday :)

Very much agree with this statement!!

And not just any old dark chocolate. It majorly helps to be at least 70% or more Cacao, Organic and Free Trade Certified.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    also google stevia and see if that'll work for you. I won't give it to my boys though. Actually, I don't use it but it's better than sugar and calorie free. Still is a processed food item. I wonder if it's sweet as a plant. I'd grow some if I could get the seeds in my area.
  • Grokette
    Options
    also google stevia and see if that'll work for you. I won't give it to my boys though. Actually, I don't use it but it's better than sugar and calorie free. Still is a processed food item. I wonder if it's sweet as a plant. I'd grow some if I could get the seeds in my area.

Do you have ethnic stores in your area??? I was able to get a Stevia plant and dry it and grind it with a pestule myself..............
  • KaylaBlu2019
    KaylaBlu2019 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have a box of stevia and I always wonder, is it actually natural like they claim?
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda all day long and I've lost 18lbs sooo? It's the one thing I won't deprive myself of.
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    As far as your progress being hindered....I don't think so. I drink (1) diet coke or diet dr. pepper every morning and have still lost 20 lbs.

I make sure I drink 10-12 cups of water a day as well....True lemon or orange water.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet soda daily anymore (only a diet Coke once in awhile) because it makes my acid reflux worse. However, when I did, no more than 1 or 2 cans a day, I did not get any cravings for sweets like some people do. Actually, the soda makes me feel full and I eat less.
    We are all different on how we can be affected by foods or drinks. Try to wean out and see how you feel and stick with the water.
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think the jury is still out on artificial sweeteners - it depends upon which opinion you are reading (same thing as the whole high fructose corn syrup thing - is it okay or not?). I have a friend who worked at Jenny Craig years ago and back then they didn't want you to drink diet soda (I assume that's still the same). The reason behind it is because artificial sweeteners are much sweeter than regular sugar. Both regular sugar and sweetners mess with your blood sugar and make you hungrier and crave more sweets. So in general, they want you to not eat or drink a lot of sweets. I personally think it's probably okay in moderation, but everyone is different in how they react. If your weight loss stalls (if that's what you are trying to do), then I'd cut it out and see what happens.
  • nikki91950
    Options
    I drink diet soda all day long and I've lost 18lbs sooo? It's the one thing I won't deprive myself of.

glad i'm not the only one here. i've been drinking diet soda like mad all my life and i'm down close to 60 pounds. diet coke is my last life line these days. don't get me wrong, i drink tons of water as well, but i use diet coke as a reward to keep me on track :) oh, and i gave up diet coke for lent one year...so i went six weeks without it, made no other changes in my diet and exercise, and saw no difference what so ever in my weight loss. i know some say that the artificial sweeteners can lead to cancer, but dammit, if i'm gonna get cancer from DIET COKE, then so be it.
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Options
    Some people are able to metabolize the ingredients in diet drinks… some are not.

Go one week without a diet soda, that will tell you if you should consider quitting all together.

Personally, I am not able to drink sodas and lose weight. EVERY TIME I have a soda, it takes me a week to flush it out.

But, like I said… some people are able to metabolize the ingredients in diet drinks and it doesn’t effect their weight loss. Everyone is different
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the flavored sparkling water you can get at most Walmart's and Kroger's. Tastes exactly like pop, with zero calories. Also enjoy a Vitamin Water Zero, because it doesn't taste like watered down juice. Jones Soda (*squeal!*) came out with a zero calorie version of their black cherry soda, but it's not *quite* there yet. I have faith, though.

I personally don't fret over the artificial sweeteners, myself. Yes, I realize that they're not that great for you, but in moderation as part of an overall healthy lifestyle, if they keep me from stabbing my co-workers then they're probably a good thing. Because who doesn't love a hero?
  • Grokette
    Options
    I have a box of stevia and I always wonder, is it actually natural like they claim?

Depends...............

If you are using Purvia or Truvia then NO it is not all natural as it claims to be.

I use either Trader Joe's store brand or Sweet Leaf Stevia - Both all natural...........

And I have a plant that I grind and use too.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I have noticed if i drink a diet soda, my water consumption is lower for the rest of the day.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Rarely drink any soda at all, because I am not a big fan of carbonated drinks. BUT...when I do, I grab the regular kind. It just tastes SOOOOO much better. I HATE HATE HATE the flavor of diet sodas.

My mom drinks a lot of Diet Coke, and she complains of bloating and ocassional "heartburn". I think it is because of the carbonation. I may be wrong though.

If it is chocolate you are craving, you can always have one of those "No Sugar Added" Hot Cocoa mixes with water. Sometimes I add some fat free half and half, when I want it a little creamier.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Rarely drink any soda at all, because I am not a big fan of carbonated drinks. BUT...when I do, I grab the regular kind. It just tastes SOOOOO much better. I HATE HATE HATE the flavor of diet sodas.

My mom drinks a lot of Diet Coke, and she complains of bloating and ocassional "heartburn". I think it is because of the carbonation. I may be wrong though.

If it is chocolate you are craving, you can always have one of those "No Sugar Added" Hot Cocoa mixes with water. Sometimes I add some fat free half and half, when I want it a little creamier.

You are correct about the carbonation thing.............

If I want something fizzy, I drink an occasional Zevia. I like the Orange and Root Beer flavors. Add a bit of heavy cream to the Orange and you have the taste of a dreamsicle.............Add some heavy cream and vanilla to the Root Beer and you have yourself the taste of a root beer float!!