inches lost but the scale is not moving

Options
Really need some advice here..pleaseee

Background is I have been maintaining a 250lb lose to roughly 174lb over the last 4 years, it has been and still is one hell of a roller coaster. Most of this loss was due to a diet change with no exercise, anyway I have been trying to incorporate exercise one and off but decided that I really need to work out to hit my new goals.

Anyway since the second week of March I have been working out a minimum of 5 days a week, the last two weeks I have been doing a morning workout (insanity) and an evening workout but the scale is NOT budging. Something is clearly wrong but I do not know how to figure it out. I am however losing inches and I am taking pictures like crazy and I can see a small difference.

My food loggin is crap but I am happy to open if that will help with responses.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Don't get caught up in the scales...you are clearly losing fat if you are losing inches, does it really matter what the scales say?

The scales will catch up with the tape measure eventually but in the meantime your clothes are becoming too big, celebrate regardless of the scales are saying :)
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    You are the only one that sees the number on the scale, everybody else just sees you getting smaller. :smile:
    I'd rather lose inches over pounds any day.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You are the only one that sees the number on the scale, everybody else just sees you getting smaller. :smile:
    I'd rather lose inches over pounds any day.

I agree with this. It can be really frustrating when the scale doesn't move but if you are seeing visual progress and reduced measurements then I would view that as positive confirmation that you are on the right track.

However, if you know yourself and are saying that your food logging is not accurate then maybe try and work on that as although you are working out, and seeing some changes, you could be slowing your weight loss progress if you are not logging everything as you could easily be eating a lot more than you think.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Scales don't mean anything if you're losing inches...you could be gaining muscle and losing body fat %

Don't be discouraged. What I did as a goal was to buy a pair of matchstick jeans (skinny jeans) and then gauge how I was doing according to when I could fit into/be comfortable in the skinny jeans.
  • Changingmyfatitude
    Changingmyfatitude Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Ahh that sounds like a really good idea, I am going to try that.

Thank you
  • Changingmyfatitude
    Options
    Thank's for the feedback, I have started weighing myself less but it is mentally hard for me to not associate weight loss with scales as that was how it worked for me before.

I agree with you all though, the pictures are showing me a slight difference so I must be doing something right.

I was getting desperate and was going to try the LCHF eating plan to see if a change in eating would nudge the scales.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Scales don't mean anything if you're losing inches...you could be gaining muscle and losing body fat %

Don't be discouraged. What I did as a goal was to buy a pair of matchstick jeans (skinny jeans) and then gauge how I was doing according to when I could fit into/be comfortable in the skinny jeans.

No gaining muscle unless eating in a calorie surplus and lifting a progressive load lifting program.

New exercise causes water retention and glycogen stores that mask weight loss...it can take up to 6 weeks for that to go.
  • Changingmyfatitude
    Options
    I have just made my food diary open, can someone have a look please there are a few days entered here which is generally what i eat most days. Do you think I am doing something wrong here?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I have just made my food diary open, can someone have a look please there are a few days entered here which is generally what i eat most days. Do you think I am doing something wrong here?

without logging everyday you really wont know what you are eating for sure.

As well you need to weigh everything to be accurate and hit at least 1200 calories.

It's not what you eat it's how much you eat, and if you are truely not eating at least 1200 calories you are not fueling your body for your workouts...
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Great on losing the inches!!! The scale is a PIA sometimes and doesn't move...water weight and more muscle...maybe try more cardio and less lifting for a few weeks....1200 calories is great and you will hopefully see the scale go down soon!! I more go buy how my clothes fit....i have a skinny pair of shorts that dont fit if a gain a few pounds, however lately the scale has not moved and I am back in them...I can see my body is more hard though.....so stay motivated and step away from the scale for a bit (or kick it a few times and step on, if it still doesn't give you the weight you want, repeat!!!) :flowerforyou:
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

No gaining muscle unless eating in a calorie surplus and lifting a progressive load lifting program.

New exercise causes water retention and glycogen stores that mask weight loss...it can take up to 6 weeks for that to go.

Hence why I said "could be"...
    And I'd have to say you can build stronger muscles and bulk muscles without doing a progressive load lifting program (see profile pic)...I'm not talking about body building...
  • Changingmyfatitude
    Options
    Thanks Everyone xx
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    This is me too. Haven't lost a pound for over a week - actually the scales haven't even moved, but I'm into the size 10 jeans which I couldn't get into a week ago, and I got a ton of comments at the office that I look smaller from people that haven't seen me for a few weeks.

I started walking for at least 1 hr a day about a month ago when the ice and snow disappeared, so I kinda expected it.

I still weigh every day, but only because I'm a bit nerdy and like charting the datapoints and looking for trends.
  • Changingmyfatitude
    Options
    This is me too. Haven't lost a pound for over a week - actually the scales haven't even moved, but I'm into the size 10 jeans which I couldn't get into a week ago, and I got a ton of comments at the office that I look smaller from people that haven't seen me for a few weeks.

I started walking for at least 1 hr a day about a month ago when the ice and snow disappeared, so I kinda expected it.

I still weigh every day, but only because I'm a bit nerdy and like charting the datapoints and looking for trends.

I totally know how you feel and it doesn't completely deter me because I feel great but it just makes me worry that something is not quite right.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    a) Walk around in the new hawt body you worked so hard for

-or-

b) carry a set of scales so you can weigh to prove you've lost weight when you run into people

I'll choose 'a' all day, every day and 2x on Sunday. Way to go - your hard work is paying off. Now get out there and enjoy it!
  • SezxyStef
    Options

And I'd have to say you can build stronger muscles and bulk muscles without doing a progressive load lifting program (see profile pic)...I'm not talking about body building...

but she can't be...she is in a deficet and isn't doing a progressive load lifting program.

You can build stronger muscles doing resistence training yes, you can uncover existing muscle eating at a deficet making them "show more' but that doesn't mean you are building "bulk" esp as a woman. It is very hard to build muscle as a woman...not impossible but not easy.

I am not talking about body building either...I am not a body builder I am a weight lifter who is in a deficet therefore not building muscle...strength maybe but not muscle.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

but she can't be...she is in a deficet and isn't doing a progressive load lifting program.

You can build stronger muscles doing resistence training yes, you can uncover existing muscle eating at a deficet making them "show more' but that doesn't mean you are building "bulk" esp as a woman. It is very hard to build muscle as a woman...not impossible but not easy.

I am not talking about body building either...I am not a body builder I am a weight lifter who is in a deficet therefore not building muscle...strength maybe but not muscle.
    ^^This...