LIKE TO HEAR FROM THOSE WHO HAVE HAD SUCCESS

Options
WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT OTHERS HAVE CHANGED OR WHAT KIND OF DIET PLAN HAS HELPED THEM TO LOSE THEIR WEIGHT. I DRINK MOSTLY WATER AND EAT VEGGIES AND FRUIT. I DO EAT CARBS BUT I HAVE CUT BACK AND TRY TO EAT THE RIGHT AMOUT. I STILL HAVING PROBLEM WITH HUNGER. I ALSO EXERCISE ABOUT 3 TO 4 X A WEEK. JUST DONT KNOW HOW TO CONTROL MY HUNGER. I STAY BUSY WITH FAMILY AND WORK FULL TIME AND MAKE MYSELF EXERCISE. THANKS,TRICIA

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Caps_Lock.jpg
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    Firstly fruit and veg are carbs, so I guess you are referring to things like pasta, rice and bread.

Secondly you don't mention protein, which is essential for curbing hunger and fueling the body. Lean meat and fish, dairy, eggs, nuts, seeds, pulses, soya etc. Make sure you are getting your protein.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Yes, protein is important. I'm assuming you filled out the settings when you joined MFP? Then you can use the food log as a guideline, trying to hit the protein, carbs and fat as closely as possible. See how that works for you.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Hello Tricia, not sure where you are on your journey. If you are working on weight loss? What worked for me was a series of small steps. First, get into the mindset that you will be making lifestyle changes. A "diet" does not / will not work.
    Once I found MFP, I started logging everything I ate. After a few weeks this gave me a somewhat scary understanding of what I needed to change. From there I started by just cutting out small things, colas (carbonated, sugar loaded soft drinks, NO switching to diet versions does not work!), then I started brown bagging my work lunches (Mainly salads spinach, kale, arugula, with lots of mixed veggies). As I did this I started reading all labels at the grocery store. My kick in the butt to lose weight was a high blood pressure diagnosis. So, I needed to cut back on sodium. Pretty much all the canned, boxed, frozen prepared foods I had been eating were loaded with sodium. So, I started cooking more meals at home with base ingredients (re-hydrated beans, fresh fruit & veggies, brown long grain rice, etc). I started seeing the weight drop almost as soon as I started making changes. My goal was to lose the suggested 1-2lbs per week. I did this consistently over 6-7 months.
    If you are having problems? Pick on thing and make a change. Then go with this for 3-4 weeks. Once the change has become a habit, pick something else and make it a habit. As you add positive habits and drop poor habits the weight should take care of it's self.
    Best of luck on your journey.
  • nicnoahshaun
    nicnoahshaun Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THAT. I DON'T REALLY LIKE MEAT. I TRY TO EAT FISH. I CAN'T HAVE DARIY SO THAT CUTS OUT CHEESE ECT. I DRINK ALMOND OR SOY MILK BUT DON'T THINK THATS ENOUGH PROTEIN.....
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    There are lots of non-meat or dairy protein sources. There are fantastic grains and pulses that you can add to meals or have instead of a carbohydrate, like quinoa, lentils, beans, split peas etc. They are great in hot meals and salads. You could add beans or chick peas to stews and curries, or sprinkle seeds over your breakfast cereal.
  • nicnoahshaun
    nicnoahshaun Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    OK THANKS FOR THE INFO. I AM GOING TO TRY AND WORK ON MY PROTEIN THIS WEEK. TRICIA : )
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    Great stuff. Good luck with your journey x
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    For the first month I started by just cutting back portions, most in half. I estimate that previously I was eating about 3000-3500 calories per day. I also began exercising for about 45 minutes every day.

After that first month of success I started adjusting my diet to be something sustainable in the long term. I'm eating between 1200 and 1500 calories per day now and I'm not hungry. I also worked on upping my protein and I added in strength training to make sure I was loosing fat and not muscle.

As far as ways to get more protein in your diet if you don't like meat... I keep cans of tuna (in water) in my desk at work and crack one open for a snack. It's a good shot of protein for the calories (about 30 grams of protein per can and 120 calories). Hard boiled eggs are also an easy snack and have 6 grams of protein each for 70 calories.

My new indulgence is stir fry tofu and veggies. It's also loaded with protein and tastes great when cooked correctly with the right sauce. I usually make this at home because if you order it at a chinese restaurant they load it up with sauce and then combined with all the rice they give you it's way too much food.

Good luck!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    im down from 275 to 210 just from portion control and lifting weights. for hunger is a problem i suggest buying whey protein and mixing a shake when you feel you cannot hold out, it will fill you up for about 100 cals which are almost all from protein.

eventually your stomach will adjust to your new eating habits, just give it a couple of weeks, and remember, hunger is almost always mental
  • DallasSusan
    DallasSusan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of good advice already posted here. For me, if I don't get enough protein at a meal, I get very hungry and miserable. Since I don't want to be eating a whole cow every week, I've been eating quite a bit more fish and eggs. I keep hard boiled eggs in the fridge as "emergency protein." I have cut waaay back on refined carbohydrates: anything made with sugar, wheat flour or corn meal. Doing with only occasional servings of bread, pasta, tortillas, etc. may sound like torture, but once I got used to it, it doesn't really bother me. Plus I noticed that when I do eat refined carbs, my appetite goes crazy and I want to eat everything in sight. Not quite sure what that is about. I think it may be because refined carbs are "empty": lots of calories, not many nutrients. Going for foods that are close to their natural form (that is, not highly processed) and rich in nutrients helps me feel satisfied after eating. Also, the body needs some fats. I only use olive oil and butter. And for me, avocados really satiate the hunger cravings. Avocados are a good source of MUFAs (monounsaturated fatty acids), which have health benefits. Other sources of MUFAs are nuts and seeds, olives, and chocolate (dark, semisweet). These are wonderful foods but you have to measure your portions, because they are high in calories. Best of luck to you. You will succeed. Lots of people have gotten good results using myfitnesspal (MFP).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!