BMR/ TDEE - MFP daily calories burnt

Options
I know this has been posted loads of times, but I am still confussed.

Ok So I started MFP in August 2013 and so far lost 5 stone 7lbs. But now that weight loss has slowed down or not losing at all, I understand that there is less of me so therefore I will lose less weight weekly, But I am unsure how many calories I should be eating,

I have a desk job and I work out in exercise classes 3 x per week for 60 minutes each. I have not included these exercises in my goal but I do add them after each class.

I am wanting to know what to do, MFP says calories from daily activity is 2010, which seems very high compared to ones that I have researched on line, My BMR is 1500 and my TDEE is 2000. So according to MFP I need to eat 1260 cals per day, I would really struggle with this, in fact it would be impossible for me, I would be so unhappy and cranky all day.

Can some clever person please work this out for me,

I am female, 5foot 8 inches and 81kg.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you have been logging your food accurately since last August there is absolutely no need or benefit in going back to calculator sites. Your actual TDEE (as opposed to estimated TDEE) is revealed by your calorie intake over the last few weeks and the current rate at which you are losing weight.

Always bear in mind that MFP calorie goals are heavily dependant on the rate of loss you choose and they are calories plus exercise calories so cannot be directly compared to TDEE calculations.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    It is recommended that you recalculate your BMR and TDEE (TDEE includes your activity) after every 10lb loss since it does change based on your weight. If you use the MFP goal, most people have found success eating 50-75% of their exercise calories back.

I couldn't see how much left you want to lose. Its important to know that as you need to lose less weight, weight loss becomes slower. Along with this you should change your weight loss goal to 0.5 to 1 lbs loss per week.

BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate and is what you need to survive if you were in a coma. If you use the TDEE method then using your number posted you should aim to eat TDEE-(5-10%) = so in the range of 1800-1900 calories per day. Even at 20% that would be 1600 calories. The big thing to remember is MFP does not include activity level while TDEE does, in TDEE you do not eat your exercise calories back.

Also since this calculations are just that, they may not be exact to you and it may take weeks or months to figure out what your calorie goal should be, especially if you do not have much more to lose.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you have been logging your food accurately since last August there is absolutely no need or benefit in going back to calculator sites. Your actual TDEE (as opposed to estimated TDEE) is revealed by your calorie intake over the last few weeks and the current rate at which you are losing weight.

Always bear in mind that MFP calorie goals are heavily dependant on the rate of loss you choose and they are calories plus exercise calories so cannot be directly compared to TDEE calculations.

1577119_o.gif
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I know this has been posted loads of times, but I am still confussed.

Ok So I started MFP in August 2013 and so far lost 5 stone 7lbs. But now that weight loss has slowed down or not losing at all, I understand that there is less of me so therefore I will lose less weight weekly, But I am unsure how many calories I should be eating,

I have a desk job and I work out in exercise classes 3 x per week for 60 minutes each. I have not included these exercises in my goal but I do add them after each class.

I am wanting to know what to do, MFP says calories from daily activity is 2010, which seems very high compared to ones that I have researched on line, My BMR is 1500 and my TDEE is 2000. So according to MFP I need to eat 1260 cals per day, I would really struggle with this, in fact it would be impossible for me, I would be so unhappy and cranky all day.

Can some clever person please work this out for me,

I am female, 5foot 8 inches and 81kg.

From your ticker you are very close to goal weight. What did you choose for a weight loss goal on MFP? What did you choose for an activity level on MFP - keep in mind this level does not include exercise?

You are likely choosing too high of a weight loss goal (I'm guessing 1 lb a week) which is giving you the lower 1260 calories. .5 lbs a week is a realistic goal if yu are less than 20lbs from goal weight. Plus, you also need to consider that MFP expects you to log exercise and eat those calories back.

Keep in mind both are estimations.

This is a great thread
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • terridyment
    terridyment Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this question, I am in the same vote. 5'7, 175 pounds and want to lose another 10 pounds. I was also confused with TDee and MFP. I have now recalculated my daily goal and eating 1600 calories. Fingers crossed.

Best of luck on your journey!!!

Terry:smile: