Is is normal to gain 2-3lbs in less than 24 hours??

Options
2»

Replies

• jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    How are your clothes fitting? How do you feel? Are you noticing a difference when you look in the mirror? Use all these methods to determine if you're losing weight. Scale weight fluctuates, and the best time to weigh is first thing in the morning after you've done all your business.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Normal.

Also, if you ARE going to weigh yourself every day, weigh yourself at the same time of day (easiest is first thing in the morning). Your weight can fluctuate 2 pounds or more throughout the course of a single day, so pick a time and only weigh yourself then (even if you weigh yourself weekly, it still should be at the same time of day).
  • millermichellelea
    Options
    I weigh myself about every morning, first thing when I get up. I can go a week, but then I like to see that I am maintaing an average. I know that it would probably be better to do it once a week, but.....I am one of those people that have to give you your present the moment I buy it...no waiting for the birthday sort of thing. With that said, if you are going to weigh so often, then chart it over the week and get your averages, learn how your body flucuates and why it does. Mark down what you ate, how much you exercised, etc., so that next time it does this you understand your body patterns. After you learn what makes you gain or lose weight, [things like salt, heavy foods, work outs, body waste, etc.] you will not worry as much next time it happens.
  • iAlly
    iAlly Posts: 66
    Options
    Yes it's normal.

Read my blog 'How your body is like a car.... and how can I gain 4 lbs weight from eating a 1 lbs pizza.' to get the long answer.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/iAlly
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself every day and that was making me nuts. I can't imagine weighing yourself multiple times a day. I'm guessing that the extra weight is water that hasn't rid itself from your body. Plus, you may be weighing before food has been digested and is just sitting there. My suggestion would be to weigh yourself once a week, preferably in the morning, and preferably the same day around teh same time. I think this is a better indication of overall weight loss. Don't despair!
  • jo4anne
    jo4anne Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It happens to me all the time. I jump on the scales all the time ( I know I shouldn't but I do. It depends if you have been to the loo for either function, how much you have drank and also how much you have eaten as that also weighs! Also you lose water through sweat so you might think you haven't lost any water etc when you weighed yourself when you have indeed so you got a lighter reading on your weigh in and then regained it when you drank.

I always make sure I weigh myself in the morning after I have been to the loo as I find this gives me the best reading. I also take measurements as I find that shows better results of my progress.
  • fsuxo2003
    Options
    So the article that was more "convincing" said once a day...but you're weighing yourself at breakfast and lunch? You do realize you're consuming calories during the day and that's why you weigh more at lunch, right?

Honestly, do yourself a favour and put the scale away. Weigh yourself once a week.

Common sense goes a long way with weight loss.

Um ok so I've never done a blogging post before but the above comment seems to be a bit harsh. I'll err on the side of caution and assume this wasn't meant to be as condescending as it appears at first read. Ever heard that 'common sense isn't common?' Well I think that particularly applies with weight loss! Another thing that applies to dieting is crankiness, and I'd suggest that snacking can go a long way with weight loss AND crankiness. Just a thought.

While I realize intellectually that after eating there may be a weight fluctuation, in 3 weeks I'd never noticed that much of a gain and I didn't change my eating/water drinking habits. Therefore, I had a momentary freakout, hence my posting.

The posts about water retention for muscle repair seem the most likely solution and that's something I wouldn't have thought of, which is what I was looking for. Also need to measure my waistline and keep up with that so that I don't freak out over the numbers on the scale anymore.

Thanks for all the helpful comments!!!