Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

The weight is coming off *too* fast, and I'm concerned.

I was over 220 lbs last August, the heaviest I've ever been.

In September, I started a second job, as a walking tour guide. Often, I work 14 hour days now, so there's a lot of dining out since I am so seldom at home, but all that walking helped me lose 15 lbs anyway over the course of 6 months without really trying hard, even with an actual increase in calories consumed. My big problem was sugar and artificial sweeteners- I've had a huge sweet tooth my entire life.

A week ago, I weighed 206. On Tuesday, I started using the myfitnesspal app again on my phone to strictly monitor my food intake. I had done so off any on in the past, but this time, things were different. I logged my workouts- the Nordic walking I'd picked up from another tour guide, remembering my squats and lunges from that one time I trained to run/ walked a half marathon. I've begun every day in the last week with a glass of lemon water. I remember to take my vitamins, particularly magnesium.

I don't feel like I'm doing anything extreme. I'm not hungry, and I'm eating pretty normally- the big difference is, this time I've cut out soda, sugary coffee drinks, candy, donuts, etc. And I have been working out- 45 minutes every other day. It's what I can squeeze in to my schedule, you know? It doesn't feel forced or restrictive. I'm consuming anywhere from 1,450-1,990 calories a day (average is about 1,700), and in just one week of working out more and cutting my sugar intake, I've lost 14 lbs.

I was 192 when I stepped on the scale this morning.

Is such a loss that unusual for someone my starting weight and height (I'm 5'9" tall)? I'm figuring that essentially most of it is bloat and water weight; I certainly look and feel less bloated.

I feel like I haven't done anything extreme; I'm by no means starving myself; it simply is the case that a huge percentage of my daily caloric intake previously was sugar.

At the same kind, I'm concerned, because I know 1-2 lbs a week is the benchmark for long-term, maintainable weight loss, and these kind of results absolutely exceed reasonable expectations.

I know that for my height and weight and activity level I ought to be consuming about 2200 calories a day for weight loss but I absolutely cannot fathom how to even consume that much food; I'm eating what is normal for me; it just so happens to be that, again, absent my obscene sugar intake my daily caloric intake from food and stuff (I mean, seriously, I had a breakfast sandwich from Wendy's the other day, and yesterday's breakfast was scrambled eggs with butter, ham, AND heavy cream... I plan to eat lunch at Subway today) is actually well... maybe the caloric intake of a much lighter person?

Should I try to eat more, or continue eating what feels filling and good for me?

And at what point should I expect to see my results peter off? Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    yes when I started last year in January I dropped weight very quickly at first...from 205 down to 185-190 within a couple of weeks...

it slowed down after that.

When I joined here it was at about 1/2lb a week...when I started being accurate with my logging by weighing I had a big jump and consistent 3/4lb weight loss.

I suspect over the next couple of weeks you will see less and less weight coming off and it will even out...could even AMG stop or go up a bit but don't panic...it is your body doing normal things.

It is best to watch week over week trends rather than a short period of time.
  • I don't know if this will be of any help or consolation to you, but when I'm restricting my refined sugar intake, I lose weight much more quickly as well, especially at the beginning.

Maybe don't be too concerned unless it continues at this pace?
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Is such a loss that unusual for someone my starting weight and height (I'm 5'9" tall)? I'm figuring that essentially most of it is bloat and water weight; I certainly look and feel less bloated.

This is probably the key part in your loss. I always have a big loss that first week after getting back to a better diet and exercise. You will probably start slowing down in the loss next week.
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Theres no such thing as losing weight too fast unless youre over exercising and/or undereating. Just enjoy the weightloss while it last! :)
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Don't panic. It's normal when you have a lot of weight to lose for the first few weeks to be fast - enjoy it! Especially if you aren't hungry, just keep doing what you;re doing and enjoy the boost - it will slow down eventually ;)

My first month I think I lost about 15-20 lbs (it was great!) I'd be happy to lose 1 lb a month now!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    water weight, poop ect.

dropping 14 lbs of fat in one week is a 7000 cal daily deficit, which is near impossible