Swimming pool problems

Options
I've been using my local (council run) swimming pool on and off for nearly 10 years now. It's a 30m pool and has ONE lane for 'distance swimmers'. I'm not a competitive/amazing swimmer, I'm sure my technique could use some work but I tend to do an hour (non-stop) three times a week and I hold my own. I've done a couple of charity 22mile swims so I'm not a novice and I'm not just there to splash about - I'm there to burn calories, tone up, get out of breath and (if possible) beat my PBs.

I recently invested in a lap timer watch thingy so I've got a more accurate way to record my speed (rather than squinting at the, often broken, wall clock) and, OMG, the way people use the lane swim is driving me crazy because it's impacting on my ability to go as fast as I can. There is a sign up that clearly states it is for distance swimmers only but for as long as I can remember it is used by octogenarians who take 5 minutes to swim one length (not an exaggeration, she's a lovely lady and does great for her age but WOW, she's slow LOL!) and people sculling (not backstroke, sculling) SO slowly I could lap them twice and still have time for a water break. There are, of course, people who get in the lane swim who are faster than me and if I realise that my own pace impedes theirs I will pause at the end and allow them to kick off before me. Sometimes if there is someone really going for it, I will duck under the rope and swim in the normal section as I know how annoying it is to be held up. Mind you, that creates a whole new problem as you then have to negotiate the chatting ladies who swim three abreast and give you dirty looks if you swim through them. Oh, and then there are the people who just hog the shallow end and chat for 20 minutes so you can't even touch the wall to turn. Arrrgggh. Some people even do it in the lane swim. And what do the lifeguards say/do? Absolutely nothing. I have no problem at all with leisure swimmers going at their own pace but WHY do they have to use the only lane? My understanding of 'distance swimming' is keeping up a reasonable pace and not stopping. Yes? No?

Anyone else have this or is it specific to my pool? Sorry for ranting but I really wanted to push myself today and just couldn't get going so I only did 30 minutes. I use swimming to relax but when I get stuck behind 'Grandad Backstroke' I get crazy frustrated!

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I've been using my local (council run) swimming pool on and off for nearly 10 years now. It's a 30m pool and has ONE lane for 'distance swimmers'. I'm not a competitive/amazing swimmer, I'm sure my technique could use some work but I tend to do an hour (non-stop) three times a week and I hold my own. I've done a couple of charity 22mile swims so I'm not a novice and I'm not just there to splash about - I'm there to burn calories, tone up, get out of breath and (if possible) beat my PBs.

I recently invested in a lap timer watch thingy so I've got a more accurate way to record my speed (rather than squinting at the, often broken, wall clock) and, OMG, the way people use the lane swim is driving me crazy because it's impacting on my ability to go as fast as I can. There is a sign up that clearly states it is for distance swimmers only but for as long as I can remember it is used by octogenarians who take 5 minutes to swim one length (not an exaggeration, she's a lovely lady and does great for her age but WOW, she's slow LOL!) and people sculling (not backstroke, sculling) SO slowly I could lap them twice and still have time for a water break. There are, of course, people who get in the lane swim who are faster than me and if I realise that my own pace impedes theirs I will pause at the end and allow them to kick off before me. Sometimes if there is someone really going for it, I will duck under the rope and swim in the normal section as I know how annoying it is to be held up. Mind you, that creates a whole new problem as you then have to negotiate the chatting ladies who swim three abreast and give you dirty looks if you swim through them. Oh, and then there are the people who just hog the shallow end and chat for 20 minutes so you can't even touch the wall to turn. Arrrgggh. Some people even do it in the lane swim. And what do the lifeguards say/do? Absolutely nothing. I have no problem at all with leisure swimmers going at their own pace but WHY do they have to use the only lane? My understanding of 'distance swimming' is keeping up a reasonable pace and not stopping. Yes? No?

Anyone else have this or is it specific to my pool? Sorry for ranting but I really wanted to push myself today and just couldn't get going so I only did 30 minutes. I use swimming to relax but when I get stuck behind 'Grandad Backstroke' I get crazy frustrated!

wow you sound like quite an accomplished swimmer actually. I used to swim competetively in highschool and was a lifeguard for like 10 years. i've never swam 22 miles (22miles !!! did that take like all day? 24hrs ish? lol), nor would i think of attempting it lol.

typical rules are that you have to swim to the right of the lane line. this should allow you to pass the slower swimmers on the left.

i'd ask the LG to stress the stay to the right rule
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, people are kind of *kitten* with little consideration for others around them. Such is life.

I'd say maybe make a complaint or two to management. If that doesn't work, it might be worth switching the time of day you go (straight after work if you have a 9-5, I've found that to be full of "actual swimmers", not the ones who are there for a social) or first thing in the morning.

It sucks and is really frustrating, but you might need to adapt around the situation if it's not working for you right now.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    even if they are swimming right in the middle of the lane and they you're both 500 lbs, if its a standard size lane, you have room to pass them.

pass them enough times and they'll likely get the idea, or not, doesn't really matter because they are slower then you, and have as much right to the lane as you do.

therefore you will have to pass them
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

wow you sound like quite an accomplished swimmer actually. I used to swim competetively in highschool and was a lifeguard for like 10 years. i've never swam 22 miles (22miles !!! did that take like all day? 24hrs ish? lol), nor would i think of attempting it lol.

typical rules are that you have to swim to the right of the lane line. this should allow you to pass the slower swimmers on the left.

i'd ask the LG to stress the stay to the right rule
    [/quote]

Agree with all of this! 22 miles, that would take me forever.
    Should be cirlce swimming in the lane, up one side, down the other...which would allow for passing. The pool I go to is supposed to be this way, but usually there are just 2 people per lane and we each take a side. Not sure the lifeguards would do anything to change this if more people showed up. People seem to wait until someone leaves, although I willing circle swim.
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Ah, I should explain, the 22 mile swims were completed over the course of a month or so, in 1 and 2 mile chunks, I'm not sure I could do 22 mile in one go. Maybe 10, if there was a cash reward at the end of it :-) .

I do overtake the slower swimmers when the opportunity presents, got no problem with that at all, that's like a best case scenario day. However, because there are often 5 or 6 people swimming the same lane, it just isn't possible to do so because you'd swim straight into someone coming the other way - there is NOT enough room to overtake if someone is swimming back the other way. I've never measured the lane but it can't be more than 10 feet across, certainly not wide enough for 3 people swimming breaststroke in parallel. I often have to tread water or just use my arms while I wait for the person swimming towards me to pass so I can then overtake.

I know everyone has got as much right to use the pool as anyone else but a bit of consideration goes a long way and it's the same people who keep causing the traffic jams. I just don't understand why they get in the only 'distance swim' lane when they will do one length (some even hold on to the side!!) and then have a rest at the end - surely the main body of the pool is more appropriate. I think a lot of people see it as the 'backstroke lane' to be honest.

Tried varying the times I go, doesn't make much difference. I think the only course of action is to flag it up with the management - they already love me because I complained that only about 25% of the lockers were working. Their solution was just to remove the keys.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    the way you describe it makes it sound like that is the only lap swim lane in the pool and the other lanes are "do whatever" like you don't have to even be swiming.

i'm picturing only one lane line in the pool.

idk, we made it work, wasn't rare that there would be three abreast in one line while one swimmer was passing another.

also, i the breastroke scenario you mentioned, usually someone would switch to freestyle/front crawl to quickly/safely pass.

really the only stroke that there's a good chance you might injure another swimmer is butterfly, i once gave a little girl a black eye by accident (OMG it was awful). she was a little trooper though, back at practice the next day with her googles on.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    althought thats when everyone knows the rules and is there to break a sweat.

i could imagine it being somewhat different in a different atmosphere

idk, if i was me, i'd just assert myself and they'd get the idea that they were better off getting out of my way.

as douchie as that sounds its a more direct way of solving your problem and probably much more effective then going to managment
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I am not a lap swimmer. I tried a lane, (when no one was there), to swim a lap and did poorly, and got back into the regular side of the pool as soon as someone came in with a stopwatch.
    If non lap swimmers are taking up the lane, speak to management about it. If there is someone in there swimming laps, even slowly, just be encouraging. Strike up a conversation with them and talk about how serious you are trying to be, and I'll bet, they will let you do your laps the next time you go.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I think this will happen to vary extents at any pool & you just have to live with it. I have the same issue, even in lane swim sessions where half the pool is open for general swimming & half the pool is divided into 3 lanes labelled "slow" "medium" & "fast"

I forever find myself in the fast lane behind people who are barely moving forward. If the pool is quiet and a lane is empty, I will just switch but when its busier I just have to resign myself to the fact that my swim will be interrupted a bit by having to stop/start.

I find the only solution is to just put up with it or choose not to swim as the lifeguards where I am don't enforce any rules about using lanes properly/being in the right lanes for your speed.:mad:

Alternatively, if you are really into your swimming and have a local club, there is always the option of joining and attending club training sessions where you will be in a lane with people swimming at the same pace and following the exact same session plan therefore removing the problem. :smile: I have thought about doing this myself but unfortunately my local club doesn't have a masters (over 18) group so I can't join :(