exercise with herniated disk and surgial wound?

Options
hi, I'm Jennifer.. I'm not new to mfp its just been a while, and lost the password, and the password to the email address it was under. so starting a new profile. I lost over 100 pounds already, but put back on about 20. I had a gall bladder surgery that led to MRSA. I spent weeks in the hospital with a central line through my neck into my heart pumping 6 bags of the worlds strongest anti biotic into it a day once the MRSA reached my bloodstream. i was down for a while unable to do much. not bed rest, but no real activity. The incision is having a very difficult time healing. it will get ALMOST totally closed, like tiny dots of skin open, the size of a pencil lead, and suddenly rip back open and i have another 1 1/2 inch deep, 2 inch long, 1/2 inch wide open wound in my stomach again. 4 times so far.. right now its open. Surgeon won't do anything to help it close, says it has to pull together naturally and might take up to 6 months.
Then.. about 6 weeks ago I had a damaged disk in my back herniate. movement became very limited. on some pain and nerve pain medication now (not much, a very small dose 4 times a day).. it helps with my being able to get up and move around and care for my daughter the way i need to (she is almost 5 and waiting till her 5th birthday when they can legally diagnose with adhd. but drs already said she has it.. i have add, daddy has severe adhd, she is like him.. starts behavioral therapy when she turns 5, but my point is, she is very much a handful and keeps me up and on my feet most of the day). but just became the pain is reduced does not mean I'm not going to damage myself more by doing certain things. I'm not allowed to lift more than 5 pounds.. until MRI is done and seen the back surgeon may 9th.. anyway here's my note about it that i wanted to share and see if anyone could recommend anything.
in case anyone ever looks at this stuff.. I have an open incision in my stomach from a gall bladder surgery turned MRSA. I also have a herniated disk in my back. actual exercise is not truly an option.. I tried the at home floor exercise type stuff.. been miserable for 2 days since.. chased my daughter around our house, not a tiny house, not GIANT either.. 13 times yesterday. yes I counted so she would know how many minutes she had to sit on her bed with no tv, no toys, anything.. it ripped open my incison and made it bleed. having hepatitis, bleeding near my child is an incredibly bad thing. I WISH I could do REAL exercise. I know that I don't really consider my normal daily activity, cooking dinner, cleaning the house, her bedroom, sweeping floors exercise.. although maybe running at almost full speed for 10 minutes should go on this.... okay. added it. and WOW- seriously??!?! chasing my daughter to the point my stomach ripped and bled only burned the exact same amount of calories that cooking my family a full dinner and making some no bake cookies burned?! maybe being a full time mom IS exercise!

in case anyone ever looks at this stuff.. I have an open incision in my stomach from a gall bladder surgery turned MRSA. I also have a herniated disk in my back. actual exercise is not truly an option.. I tried the at home floor exercise type stuff.. been miserable for 2 days since.. chased my daughter around our house, not a tiny house, not GIANT either.. 13 times yesterday. yes I counted so she would know how many minutes she had to sit on her bed with no tv, no toys, anything (knowing it would be half that at best).. it ripped open my incison and made it bleed. having hepatitis, bleeding near my child is an incredibly bad thing. I WISH I could do REAL exercise. I know that I don't really consider my normal daily activity, cooking dinner, cleaning the house, her bedroom, sweeping floors.. exercise.. although maybe running at almost full speed for 10 minutes should go on this.... okay. added it. and WOW- seriously??!?! chasing my daughter to the point my stomach ripped and bled only burned the exact same amount of calories that cooking my family a full dinner and making some no bake cookies burned?! maybe being a full time mom IS exercise!

I want to lose 80 pounds but right now im setting a goal for 25 pounds. well, now 22 i guess. and that dropped off in 3 days, not starving myself.. i don't know how it jump started but great motivation! anyway- i made this note on yesterdays log, and then thought.. I should share that and see if anyone

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to wait until you heal. MRSA is nothing to mess with. You could, you know, die from it.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to wait until you heal. MRSA is nothing to mess with. You could, you know, die from it.

This! Heal up, and feel better op!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    One day at a time - focus on recovery first and foremost and be sure to get clearance from your Dr before exercise.

Good luck to you!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Holy....

There are worse things than gaining weight back.

Like dying.

Please, please allow your body to heal.

You can count calories to keep your weight in control, but given all you've been through, I wouldn't over think it too much.
  • jadedpixee
    Options
    thanks guys.. the mrsa is cleared up.. no infection left. im just dealing with the open wound left from it.. new dr gave me a belly band today to wear to keep the muscles and skin in place , wear it other than bathing and sleeping.. and his suggestion was 20-30 minute walks every other day until I heal up.