Help! My *kitten* hates bike seats

Options
2»

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I do not want to spend a lot on a bike seat...since well, the last time I was on a bike I was haven't even graduated highschool yet.

And me in bike shorts.....we will just leave it that will never happen :) At least not until I drop a bunch more weight.

Padded shorts (Chamois) is the only way to go. Invest in a good quality pair as you get what you pay for when it comes to cycling shorts.

The longer you ride, the more tolerance your backside gets (usually takes a couple of weeks). If you really ride a lot, your A$X will care less about the situation. I'm about 10-12 hours a week and can sit on anything without any repercussions at this point I'm so used to it. The less padding the better for me when it comes to a bike saddle.

But the padded tractor seats on the gym bikes are an entirely different issue. Ouch! Good luck with those and keep alternating between the recumbent and the upright to rest things back there.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options

And me in bike shorts.....we will just leave it that will never happen :) At least not until I drop a bunch more weight.

Ouch - you are ruling out the single most effective thing you can do to address your problem.

Don't let self-consciousness about low fitness level be a barrier to improving your fitness. This is a vicious self defeating cycle. I had a similar issue when I was starting in a swim group - feeling like the most overweight person in the group (which I was) and wanting to hide myself in huge, tent-like swimwear that was a serious impediment to actual swimming. I just bit the bullet and got some jammers you can acutally swim in. It was a bit self conscious the first time I went to swim in them, but I quickly got over it. Subsequently swimming has become one of the major positive keys in my fitness journey. So the best advice: just bite the bullet and get over this.

Barring that, there are some "coverage options" such as skorts - bike pants with a built in skirt. There are also capri-length bike pants if that is less challenging to you. Also it is possible to wear bike pants as "underwear" underneath workout pants / sweat pants.

Also not sure why someone else advised using chamois cream AFTER riding. You're supposed to goo up the "problem areas" inside your shorts and put them on BEFORE you ride. But it does help A LOT.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I do not want to spend a lot on a bike seat...since well, the last time I was on a bike I was haven't even graduated highschool yet.

Yeah, well you're going to have to suck it up and get bike shorts. Or deal with being really uncomfortable without any padding. I have shorts that have a lot of padding in them and when I started my duathalon training back in March it was the first time I had been on a bike in quite a few years and even with the padding my naughty bits were sore for quite a few weeks until I "toughened the taint" and now I have zero pain even when I wear my minimally padded tri-shorts. Last Friday I did my first ride out side -- 15 miles -- and had NO pain during the ride or after. So yeah. You need to buy shorts and spend time in the seat.

Sorry.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You can also go with mountain bike baggy shorts, which will have the typically "bike shorts" as a liner (usually made with thin material so don't wear these alone), and an outer layer of baggy shorts.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Never occurred to me to get measured for a bike seat. I used to love biking in HS and college. I'll have to consider getting a proper saddle.