wheat and dairy???

Options
Anyone ever had wheat and/or dairy stall their weight loss?I've tried EVERY type of diet out there over the last 20 months and nothing is working. I have two boys that have wheat/dairy allergies, so I thought maybe I could have issues with those too????

I've done low carb (south beach), counting calories/carbs, counting calories with MFP, weight watchers, and CAD. NOTHING is working. The constant on each diet has been dairy, and on some, wheat,

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Replies

• Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Okay I have some questions for you. First: Can you tell me what you are eating on a typical day? Second: How long have you been trying to "diet" (consistantly), and third: Are you exercising?
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    More than 50% of Americans are lactose intolerant but only a fraction of them actually realize it. It's definitely something worth considering.

I developed a severe allergy/intolerance to all milk products (not just things with lactose in them), so I completely eliminated it almost a year ago. I feel a zillion times better!

I am a huge fan of almond milk - it is creamy, smooth, and mild-flavored. I use it in smoothies, in recipes, and in cereal as well as drink it on its own. Check the ingredients to EVERYTHING - did you know that even non-dairy creamer has milk in it????

As far as wheat, fewer people are sensitive to it but wheat allergies (or Celiac disease) can be dangerous and hard to manage.
    Quinoa is a great gluten free alternative and a lot of pastas and breads are made with quinoa, rice flour, tapioca flour, etc.

Hopefully this helps!
  • IrishBarbie
    IrishBarbie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bread is a biggie for me. If I eat bread one week and not the next (keeping everything else the same), the first week I won't lose any weight. Bread sticks to me!! In August I did three weeks with no wheat (gluetn), dairy or soy and I lost a good 6 pounds just changing that. So I think it does make a difference. Instead of eating a sandwich for lunch, I will eat an "un" sandwich, which is turkey, a slice of cheese, and two pickles on four Glutino (wheat, gluten-free) crackers.
    I also use Almond Milk in my homemade espresso so the only dairy I get is from one slice of cheddar and my greek yogurt. It does seem to help. Its super hard to cut out soy, its amazing how much stuff its in. Also a biggie for me is not eating processed food. I used to think if I stayed under my calories I could still eat a McDonalds cheeseburger, but I didn't lose any weight this way. Once I cut out fast food and processed food, that really helped!!
    Good luck and don't get discouraged, you can do it!!
    ~Karina
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Okay I have some questions for you. First: Can you tell me what you are eating on a typical day? Second: How long have you been trying to "diet" (consistantly), and third: Are you exercising?

Depends on which diet i'm on. typically, though, i stay between 1100 and 1300 cals. TRY to eat mostly fruits/veggies, lean proteins and I was eating quite a bit of dairy. (Shredded mozz. on my eggbeaters and salads. Greek yogurt.) I def. have days that i eat something processed or not as nutritious (like choc. chips or regular chips) but I ALWAYS count them in my calories.

I'm trying to increase my exercise. My average has been twice a week, which i know needs to be better. Its difficult right now as i have 5 kiddos. The youngest are twins that are 21 months and still not sleeping well.

So, i've worked out twice so far this week and aiming for at least 2 more times.

I also haven't always tried the healthy way. For a few weeks i reduced my cals to 800 or 900. I lost 5 lbs the first week, gained a pound the 2nd and stayed the same the 3rd.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Yes, I believe you could be on to something..............

I have wheat and dairy intolerances also.

I subscribe to Paleo eating (which is similar to south beach), but no grains, no dairy, no beans or legumes.

Focus on eating protein and fats, lots of veggies and some fruit, nuts, seeds. No calorie counting is needed eating this way either because nothing is processed, all natural eating.............

I have a cook book in .pdf format if your interested in exploring.

Also, do some reading on Mark's Daily Apple site. Very informative!!!
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    1100 cals? That is not enough. What is your height?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

I don't count calories, so I have no thoughts on this.

I eat natural, unprocessed foods, so no need to calorie count.
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options

5'9". I've tried doing higher cals, but i just gain weight :/
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Okay so based on your answers....I have to tell you that if you are intaking less than 1000 calories, your body goes into "starve mode" where its going to store anything you do eat because you are not getting enough nutrients. So try and stay around 1200 calories a day. I totally commend on working on your self while being a mother to your children. I don't know what that's like having kids. So if you can...really try and bump up your working out. If you are able to, work out at least three times a week for at least 40 minutes. I swear by Tae-bo (I know it's SOO 1999) but it works. Work out DVD's allow you to be home still with your children and pause if necessary. Have any healthy carbs in the ONLY in the morning. Oatmeal (NOT instant), or whole grain high fiber cereal. For lunch and dinner have and protein and veggies. Take a multi-vitamin and really try and workout HARD at least 3 days a week. You may not see any results until you keep at this for at least four weeks. I look at it this way: The weight didn't come on over night; and its not going to take overnight to lose it. If you need fruit, have half a grapefruit in the morning. Fruit is great for you, but if your body naturally loses weight on a low carb-type diet, stay away from it for awhile (that's why I stress a multi-vitamin). Try for at least six weeks to not consume chips or chocolate. I am trying with this as well. I could give ANYTHING right now for some pizza. BUT I keep saying to myself, "nothing tastes as good as how SKINNY feels!!!!"
    You can totally do this :) Please keep me posted on your success!