Running Shoe Brands

Options
Howdy! Anyone have a particular brand of running shoe they are partial to? I have always been an ASICS gal but I'm going shopping tonight and I'm curious if I'm missing out on something better...

Replies

• Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I am on my second pair of Brooks in the model Launch. I love these because they fix my pronation and support my arch.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Get fitted. Everyone's feet and stride are different, so what one person swears by could be nothing but pain and blisters on someone else.

My friend loves Brooks. I passionatetly hate them. I prefer Nike and Newtons for road running.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Go get fitted at a store that specializes in athletic shoes/athletic wear. Be sure to wear athletic socks. They'll have you walk, jog, and stand around the store to get a sense of how your feet move and where you need support. Within 5 seconds the store person told me that I had rolling ankles and that I'd need shoes that could help support me. It makes a world of a difference to workout in the correct shoes. He essentially narrowed it down to two shoes based on how I moved in a series of shoes (one over-corrected my ankles, another caused my stride to be short because the toe box was too small, etc). In the end, I got a pair of brooks that fit me like a glove.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Go get fitted at a store that specializes in athletic shoes/athletic wear. Be sure to wear athletic socks. They'll have you walk, jog, and stand around the store to get a sense of how your feet move and where you need support. Within 5 seconds the store person told me that I had rolling ankles and that I'd need shoes that could help support me. It makes a world of a difference to workout in the correct shoes. He essentially narrowed it down to two shoes based on how I moved in a series of shoes (one over-corrected my ankles, another caused my stride to be short because the toe box was too small, etc). In the end, I got a pair of brooks that fit me like a glove.

I have heard to get fitted before, but I'm curious if that costs more? Or if they're just going to recommend the super expensive shoes? I'm super suspicious of salespeople sometimes, and I'm willing to splurge on nice shoes but I don't want to end up over paying just to get a pair that have unicorn dust sprinkled on the shoelaces, lol!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options

I have heard to get fitted before, but I'm curious if that costs more? Or if they're just going to recommend the super expensive shoes? I'm super suspicious of salespeople sometimes, and I'm willing to splurge on nice shoes but I don't want to end up over paying just to get a pair that have unicorn dust sprinkled on the shoelaces, lol!

Make sure the store has a decent return policy: 30 or 90 days where you can try out the shoes and make sure they work for you. If they don't then return them. If they are a decent store they should have this type of policy. It is worth it to get the correct shoes for you.

Try them out in the store, run in them, run outside in them, make sure they fit and feel good. Then try them out at home to be certain.

After I purchased my first pair from the running store, I got the same model, but one year older, for about 50 dollars less. Very satisfied.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options

Make sure the store has a decent return policy: 30 or 90 days where you can try out the shoes and make sure they work for you. If they don't then return them. If they are a decent store they should have this type of policy. It is worth it to get the correct shoes for you.

Try them out in the store, run in them, run outside in them, make sure they fit and feel good. Then try them out at home to be certain.

After I purchased my first pair from the running store, I got the same model, but one year older, for about 50 dollars less. Very satisfied.

Awesome!! Thanks!
  • jaysull21
    jaysull21 Posts: 58
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoes-like-mine

put your current model in there, and this can recommend similar type shoes if you are happy with the feel of your current shoes.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Get fitted. Everyone's feet and stride are different, so what one person swears by could be nothing but pain and blisters on someone else.

My friend loves Brooks. I passionatetly hate them. I prefer Nike and Newtons for road running.

yes I agree. my shoe store saved my info from the shoes I bought two weeks ago so i'm sure nothing has changed, i'm just going to to in there and have them pull up my info so I can buy a second pair of shoes this week.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

My shoes cost $89. Yeah, that's expensive for sneakers. They told me they would last me 1 year. I've worn them for 3 now and they're only now getting to where I need to replace them. I did not have a budget when I went in because I wanted the perfect sneaker. I had rolled my ankles too many times and received too many skinned knees. My shoes were $15 more on the Brooks website. The price of the shoes was not artificially high because I was getting fitted; they're just expensive shoes.

My husband got fitted at the same store. He told them, from the start, that he wasn't paying more than $XX (I don't remember how much?) for a pair of sneakers and to find him the best shoes in that range. He was limited by that, but he loves the shoes they helped him find. Just give them your budget and, if you have a pushy sales person, don't let them try you in a sneaker that's too expensive.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm a Mizuno convert. I've worn Asics and Brooks in the past, but I really think Mizunos are "my" shoe brand. I was fitted for Wave Riders and am currently rotating two pairs. And the prices are decent as well.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

This. Except for the brands. :laugh:

Most brands are fairly equal when it comes to quality. What is "best" comes down to fit, and that is very individual.

I prefer Saucony and hated Asics. I tend to find that people love one and hate the other of these two brands for some reason. There is nothing "wrong" with either.

I also get that feeling like I wonder if I am missing out. I did try Mizunos for my second last shoe. I liked them but went back to the Saucony.
    I've had some issues before and Saucony keep me injury free. At this point I have decided if it ain't broke I'm not going to fix it.

If you do decide to try another brand, like others have said, check the return policy.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I used to wear Asics but when I couldn't find them locally in a wide width I took the plunge and tried Brooks and I love them!

I agree to be sure to wear athletic socks and do your shoe shopping in the afternoon/evening when you feet are swollen the most. I never buy shoes in the morning.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

This. Get fitted.

I loooove Brooks Adrenaline. And Nike give me feet a panic attack :P
  • JohnIVC
    JohnIVC Posts: 26 Member
    Options

This is bang on! I use to buy Nike all the time more for the label then anything. 3 years ago I had excruciating foot pain in the mornings (Could barely put any weight in it) and was referred to a podiatrist who diagnosed me with plantar fasciitis and over pronation. I had inserts made which have been nothing shy of a miracle but also was directed to Asics running shoes that support the over pronation. They felt so weird in the beginning but now I can exercise pain free. It also reduced the shin splint issues I was dealing with. Nothing worse then trying to exercise and having to give up due to this pain.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    New Balance and Saucony are my go-to running shoe brands. I definitely recommend getting properly fitted, but I'm naughty and haven't done so quite yet. That being the case, I'm still running in a pair of New Balance that I've had for over a year with absolutely no issues. They're super comfortable and I haven't experienced any injuries!
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I run in my Vibrams, so sadly very little to add. I have seen a lot of comments on multiple threads talking about the benefit of having your gait analyzed, so that might be something to keep in mind. Not sure how shoes affect you in the long run, but make sure that you are running in good form; back straight, head up, avoid your heel, that kind of stuff. Have fun Maz.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

As others said......go to a running specialty store. They will look at your gait and recommend some different models for you. I would stay away from the box stores. They wont charge you more for the shoes as most are priced from the manufacture. The ones that I have been to will recommend a number of pairs based on your feet and such and you can select from there. Some have treadmills to run on and such. When you start narrowing it down put one on the left, and a diff shoe on the right froot. This way you get a step by step comparision.

Right now I prefer the lunar platform from nike, but have used asics and new balance in the past.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

As others said......go to a running specialty store. They will look at your gait and recommend some different models for you.
    Though remember they are only likely to recommend models that they sell because all in all they are salesmen
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of asics gel kayano 20's and Saucony hurricane 16's. Love them both.
  • 140point6
    140point6 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes yes get fitted, but they are still going to give you options ....... I am a big fan of Mizuno - I was wearing the Wave Inspire 9's loved them for a long time but I did just get my first pair of Newtons, they are a little pricey but I have been assured that they will also last longer because of the "luggs" in the sole. The Newtons took a little getting used to but they are a solid shoe. Personally I hope that Mizuno goes back to some of the fit from the Wave Inspire 8 & 9 the 10's didn't feel as comfortable to me