Residual pain after shoulder surgery

Had a sub-acromial decompression about 5 months ago. There were no rotator cuff tears, just bone spur removal.
I started to bench press again (doc gave me go-ahead about 2 months post op). Pre-surgery I was doing reps with 315 x5. I am now back up to doing 175 x 5. I am not doing overhead press until I am completely pain free.

How long should I have mild localized pain in the joint? I don't have any sharp pain, but I get dull pain at the joint on my last set and then I'll have mild pain for a couple of days after. When I say mild it does not inhibit me, its just a little sore.

I want to make sure I'm not doing any damage and if I should back off bench press for a while until I am completely pain free. Or is this pretty normal to have residual pain for a while.

Anyone out there who has experience with this procedure have any thoughts?

Replies

• I am about to undergo that same surgery. Seeing my ortho today to schedule. I can ask him ....
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Did you see a physical therapist after surgery? If not, maybe you should ask your doctor to refer you and they can help you get the last of that pain out of there.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    I went back and saw my orthopedic surgeon. He re-examined me and said I have a bit of tendinosis in my infraspinatus. He provided me with a protocol which is similar to the Starr rehab protocol. This seems to be slowly working.

He basically fixed the impingement I had with the surgery, but the tendinosis just takes time.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    I am three months into recovery from surgery to repair a major achilles tendon rupture. I started PT about three weeks out of surgery and am still in it. I recently stopped using a cane to walk, and recently got the go ahead to resume cycling at an easy pace for no more than 3-5 miles. Some pain is "recovery pain" -- tissue still knitting together, your body repairing itself, etc. Some is the result of using a joint/muscles/tendons and nerves that have not been used regularly since the injury. I think some residual pain is normal, but I would confirm what you are experiencing with your Dr. or physical therapist.
  • Had a sub-acromial decompression about 5 months ago.

I want to make sure I'm not doing any damage and if I should back off bench press for a while until I am completely pain free. Or is this pretty normal to have residual pain for a while.

I am having this exact surgery (Mumford Procedure) on 10/10. Doc said after you should feel immediate relief but be sore from surgery only. He said the biggest risk is not getting the arm moving quick enough and developing a 'frozen joint' He did say that not everyone gets 100% relief and said to follow up with your ortho if you're having actual pain in the same area

Edited to add: just saw you followed up with surgeon and it's just tendonitis. Good to know! Anti imflamatories and ice will help after workouts. Ice down the area after arm/shoulder day before it starts to hurt and try to cut it off before it occurs. Lots of stretching too
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Ask your surgeon for a lydacane pump. If you do this you will feel nothing all weekend. it will get your through major pain period. I did that and I didn't bother taking any pain pills at all.
    Had a sub-acromial decompression about 5 months ago.

I am having this exact surgery (Mumford Procedure) on 10/10. Doc said after you should feel immediate relief but be sore from surgery only. He said the biggest risk is not getting the arm moving quick enough and developing a 'frozen joint' He did say that not everyone gets 100% relief and said to follow up with your ortho if you're having actual pain in the same area

Edited to add: just saw you followed up with surgeon and it's just tendonitis. Good to know! Anti imflamatories and ice will help after workouts. Ice down the area after arm/shoulder day before it starts to hurt and try to cut it off before it occurs. Lots of stretching too