Work Out While Sick?

Options
Do you work out when you're sick? I have a friend who has worked out (he's body building) every day for the last year and a half, through sickness, health and travel. I know a few people who do this.

I have been working out daily, but have been sick. Friday it was just a cough. I worked out anyways, but didn't completely finish. Yesterday I woke with a cough that never ends (that's what i've had for a few days now), burning/painful chest, and the new symptom of vertigo, which of course floored me and kept me hugging the toilet all day yesterday. So of course, I missed a day, I couldn't move. Today the vertigo (and thus the nausea) is gone, but the burning chest/cough etc is still there.

So my question is, should I work out today?

I feel guilty when I don't, and with the LARGE amount of weight I need to lose, it feels like it will then take me another day longer to accomplish my goals. This is also been the first time IN LIFE, where I have actually stuck to diet/working out for longer than a few days or a week max. It's been almost a month now. I don't want to fall out of routine/habit. And I know there is a fine line between taking a break, and sucking it up and doing it anyways.

Replies

• Pr1ncessWarrior
    Pr1ncessWarrior Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree I work out still unless its the flu cause you might get dehydated. Working out for me actually makes me feel that little bit better when I have a cold. Just dont overdue it make it light but keep moving..
  • dolcemaria81
    dolcemaria81 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think you should make a doctors appointment. Vertigo is no joke. You may need antibiotics. Hope you feel better.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've worked out through colds with no issues. Only things that have knocked me on my back have been stomach viruses and stress hives that are exacerbated by exercise. Everyone is different. It's best to listen to your body! Rest is always important.
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Funning that you should post this..I was coming down with a sore throat, etc. on Friday, but forced myself to work-out on Saturday and Sunday. You on the other hand have some other things going on and I don't think you should be doing anything major other than MAYBE a walk or something!
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Do something light... walk, jog?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    If you have the sniffles or something, that's one thing, but this is something else. I don't know what kind of workout you do, but I would do nothing strenuous at all, and definitely NO heavy weightlifting if you recently had serious vertigo. If you feel you really must do something, I'd go take a walk.

Agree to not do anything too strenuous, I have been sick since last Friday, I did manage 3 workouts in those 4 days but didn't do my regular 45 minute walk which I usually try to do at least 5 days a week. With your cough as bad as it is maybe even just some stretching and yoga type exercise to keep you limber for when you do feel better.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Well, I personally feel that rest is the best medicine. If I have a cold, I will usually take a couple of days off so my body can rest up and heal itself. If I push through it my workouts suffer (so what is the point in doing it anyway). PLUS, I try to be courteous to others at the gym. Dont want to be coughing and sneezing over all the equipment. If you are running, well then by all means, cough away :)
  • heavenridge
    heavenridge Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Don't go to the gym sick...unless you plan on wiping down everything you touch
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I took my 2 rest days, and hit the steam rooms, and ate lots of honey. When I went back to workung out. I hit the steam room for a few minutes then dressed out and did my workout. It's okvif it's just a head cold, but if your chest is heavy, or your equilibrium is off. I'd say rest more, and eat closer to maintenance.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I agree with Amy. Having suffered Vertigo on several occasions last year due to inner ear infections, it isn't worth it. Gravity is a real ***** and if you move your head at the wrong time while lifting your odds of injury just simply aren't worth it. Running is the same way, if your head starts to spin a good wipe-out could easily be in your future. I wouldn't risk a week or more of injury for a day or 2 of workout. Walks are are just fine for keeping your schedule on track. You were strong enough to decide to start working out, don't sell yourself so short as to believe 2 days will ruin you.

Over the last 2 years I have missed many a workout. At times I have had to take extended periods off. I've kept coming back, and I've kept losing. There will be plenty of pain and discomfort during the journey, take the rest when you need it.

My standard choices are:

If it is physically located in the head (not to include dizzyness) like just a head cold, work out. If it has spread to the body like achy joints, cramps, shakes...take a break. If it has a light cough I will work out, but heavy flegm (spelled right?) shows that my body is already fighting something. So I take a break there as well.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    If I'm flat-out sick as in ILL, I do not go to work, I do not work out and I nurse myself back to health with the help of my DH. It gets the sickness over with a lot faster and doesn't expose me to the possibility of becoming worse.

If I have allergies, PMS, a slight head cold I will take it easy but not stop my routines.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No, I rest when I'm sick so that my body can use that energy to making me well again. I also take a rest day 1-2 days per week and a de-load week every 4th week.

It is unnecessary to train 7x weekly...rest is a good thing and your body will thank you for it. I always tell people that the two most important days to my fitness are Wednesdays and Sundays...because they are rest days and they allow my body to recover and repair.
  • absinthexiii
    absinthexiii Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses guys! I'm going to try and answer you all in one post ;)

I work out at home, so no plague sharing from me hahaha....I do moderate cardio (33mins) and mild strength training. The vertigo is gone, only lasted the day, but it was ONLY yesterday. Don't think flu, more thinking lung infection of the sorts (due to phlegm and sore chest). My head and nose are fine.

I think my biggest worry is coughing fit>light headed > pass out/break blood vessles/break a rib etc etc since the cardio gets me heated up. I considered doing it until I just plain can't, and then stop.

I think for me it's the hardest getting over the GUILT of missing a day, and from knowing SO MANY people who will work out no matter what the hell is going on in life and are firm believers in no pain no gain. :/
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    If you don't rest occassionally, your body will not see the benefits of your hard work. Working out breaks things down so that they can rebuild stronger... You have to give the body a change to go through the rebuild or you are just constantly tearing down...

That is in general, but when you are genuinely ill, your body needs the strength to heal. The more you wear it down the longer the healing will take. If as you said you have a lot to lose, you have got to start looking at this as a long term thing. There are going to be days where you can't or shouldn't exercise. Accept that, even plan for it. Adding 1-2 rest days a week will benefit you far more than forcing your tired body through a workout for the 25th day in a row... It will leave you rejuvenated and let you see the gains...

Good luck!

Oh, I have always been a go hard or go home type of gal. I've also been in physical therapy for just about every overuse injury known to man. I'm learning moderation and rest. Since I have started letting myself have rest days, light day, & hard days, I've started losing again, my lifts & times have improved, I feel great, I have energy to kill my planned workouts and I sleep better... Just saying, I hear where you are coming from, but you need to start looking at rest as a planned thing, not a missed opportunity.
  • ninja8tofu
    ninja8tofu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Rest! It's good for you. You sound like you might be sick. I get forced off days (aside from my planned ones) a couple times a month due to migraines. Honestly, you sound ill and in need of some time off. Don't feel guilty!
  • absinthexiii
    absinthexiii Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys! I guess i'll take the day off ;)

Now...to get over that guilt and worry that I wont pick it back up again! :P :/