Thinking of adding deadlifts to my routine

Options
Hi all! I've been wanting to incorporate some proper heavy deadlifts (proper, as in actual ones, not Bodypump ones!) and I'm wondering if I'm thinking about this correctly.

This is my current schedule (I've done Bodypump at this schedule for the past 2.5 months. The spinning is a new addition, previously I was running).
M/W/F - bodypump
T/Th - spinning
Sat - usually a cardio class because I don't care for the saturday spinning instructor :)

I was thinking I could just do the dead lifting after Bodypump? I don't want to muck with my basic schedule too much at this point, because I've been really good about sticking with it and I love it. Just looking for where to add it in :)

Thoughts and experience would help, thanks!

Replies

• sjbtiger
    sjbtiger Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are incredibly exhausting for me and it is difficult for me to keep proper form so I always do them at the very beginning of my workout while all my muscles are fresh.

I just found these tips and have been working on these exercises to help my deadlift form: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/how-to-hip-hinge-for-ultimate-performance.html
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts should always be the first thing that you do, as they require a huge amount of muscular exertion.

ETA, I would do them one day a week before spinning and just go lighter on the spinning. View it as a recovery spin.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    After doing squats, rows, overhead press, and the bench press for a while, one thing was missing: the deadlift.

All I can say is that I wish I had started sooner.

Above all else, do it with proper form!

Good luck.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Be sure to do deadlifts right after warm-up when you are most rested. They require a lot of effort and good form is essential for protecting your back.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    depending on the weight you can do DL's last...

I currently (today actually) will be doing workout B in Stronglifts...

Squats 5x5 @ 140
    OHP 5x5 @ 85
    DL 1x5 @ 180..

Note my DL's are last...for a reason...

there is only one set of 5 reps and because If I do them first my other lifts may fail due to exhaustion.

Sometimes I do them once a week, sometimes 2x...depends on what my schedule is but I do them at least 6x a month.

If you are going to be doing heavy DL's keep it to low reps with 1 set and watch "So you think you can Deadlift" on youtube.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think you should add a real lifting program to your schedule instead of just one lift.

Body pump isn't a lifting program- it's cardio with weights.

and yes- all the dead lifts... and all the squats.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing squats and deadlifts on the same day, I do squats first. My torso is toast after the DLs.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I think you should add a real lifting program to your schedule instead of just one lift.

^This...absolutely this. Body pump is only helping on the cardio side, realistically it's doing practically nothing for your muscles. Incorporate an actual lifting routine into your schedule.
  • fivethreeone
    Options

Squats 5x5 @ 140
    OHP 5x5 @ 85
    DL 1x5 @ 180..

there is only one set of 5 reps and because If I do them first my other lifts may fail due to exhaustion.

Sometimes I do them once a week, sometimes 2x...depends on what my schedule is but I do them at least 6x a month.

If you are going to be doing heavy DL's keep it to low reps with 1 set and watch "So you think you can Deadlift" on youtube.

There's no reason to keep to one set, though lower reps (5 or fewer) is best for maximizing strength gains. There are many different ways to add deadlifts to a routine. For my goals, I do 8 sets of heavy deadlifts at the top of my DL/ front squat/ OHP/ good morning/ lat pull workout and I look forward to it every time.

However, the greatest exertion should happen first. In your routine, 5x5@140 is more intensive than 1x5@180, which is why your squats are first, as you pointed out.

Whether OP is going from DL to bodypump or spinning, either way, DL will require more muscular exertion than the cardio classes.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    A lot of good programs include only one set of deadlifts, because you only have so much fuel in the tank and deadlifts are probably the fastest way to drain that fuel. They're incredibly taxing on your body and if you're planning to do squats and other movements in the same day, 1x5 deadlifts (with some warm up) may be plenty. Nothing wrong with programming more than 1 set of course, but just saying there are reasons why you might do 1x5.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

This. Definitely.

As well as this:
    There's no reason to keep to one set, though lower reps (5 or fewer) is best for maximizing strength gains. There are many different ways to add deadlifts to a routine. For my goals, I do 8 sets of heavy deadlifts at the top of my DL/ front squat/ OHP/ good morning/ lat pull workout and I look forward to it every time.

However, the greatest exertion should happen first. In your routine, 5x5@140 is more intensive than 1x5@180, which is why your squats are first, as you pointed out.

Whether OP is going from DL to bodypump or spinning, either way, DL will require more muscular exertion than the cardio classes.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Squats 5x5 @ 140
    OHP 5x5 @ 85
    DL 1x5 @ 180..

meh...in your case one set is sufficient, but i do not squat right now so i like doing more sets of deads.

just one would make me so very sad.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Doing 1 set of DL's refers to performing 1 'working' set to exhaustion. This is preceded by 3 or more sets of warm-ups at say 50%, 75%, 90% weight. I doubt anyone would try to pull their max 1x5 weight without several sets prior to work up to it. If I do one set of 1x5 DL's where I fail the lift on #6, I'm done.... as in crouching down, light-headed, blurry eyed, regaining my composure done.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    A lot of good programs include only one set of deadlifts, because you only have so much fuel in the tank and deadlifts are probably the fastest way to drain that fuel. They're incredibly taxing on your body and if you're planning to do squats and other movements in the same day, 1x5 deadlifts (with some warm up) may be plenty. Nothing wrong with programming more than 1 set of course, but just saying there are reasons why you might do 1x5.

You should never be doing squats and deadlifts on the same day. They both are extremely taxing on your CNS and are very draining. I know people are going to say: "But stronglifts has squats and deadlifts on the same day" which is one of the reasons I don't think stronglifts is a very well designed program. Stronglifts also has you doing squats every single workout which is asinine...
  • sjohnny
    Options

You should never be doing squats and deadlifts on the same day. They both are extremely taxing on your CNS and are very draining. I know people are going to say: "But stronglifts has squats and deadlifts on the same day" which is one of the reasons I don't think stronglifts is a very well designed program. Stronglifts also has you doing squats every single workout which is asinine...

If you're brand new and starting out well below your limits it's probably fine. When you get to where you're closer to each workout being sets of 5 at or near your 5RM then it's a good idea to do all that stuff on separate days. Or lighter squats on the day you deadlift if you just have to do them both. But if you're not squatting and deadlifting on the same day it's fine to do more than one set of deadlifts. Depends on where you are and where you're going.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    ...Why are we only doing 1 set of deads?

I do 3 warm up sets+5 work sets. Am I gunna die?
  • fivethreeone
    Options

Doing 1 set of DL's refers to performing 1 'working' set to exhaustion. This is preceded by 3 or more sets of warm-ups at say 50%, 75%, 90% weight. I doubt anyone would try to pull their max 1x5 weight without several sets prior to work up to it. If I do one set of 1x5 DL's where I fail the lift on #6, I'm done.... as in crouching down, light-headed, blurry eyed, regaining my composure done.

Um.

Not sure why this required clarification, but ok.
  • sjohnny
    Options

You may already be dead.

I've done programs where I've done one working set and I've done programs where I've done three working sets. There is no universal one way to reach all goals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Smolov has you doing squats out the wazzoooo
    Sheiko- I see squats almost ever day
    20 rep squat program
    Squat variation program

all have you squatting HIGH HIGH volume frequently.

it's a matter of what you are used to- and train for- there is nothing wrong with it as long as you are getting adequate rest.

I do not MIND doing squats and deads on the same day- but I have found to truly train them the way I like to train- I do not have 4 hours to dedicate to squats deads and accessories in one day.
    So squats on one day and deads on another day. both of them take 45 minutes or so to complete plus the rest of my lift. I just can't do it times wise. otherwise I might.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

You may already be dead.

I've done programs where I've done one working set and I've done programs where I've done three working sets. There is no universal one way to reach all goals.

This I can agree with. I used to do one set, I've done 3, and now I do five. When I do single legs with a dumbbell I do 5x10.

But goals are individual.