Replies

• mlishigaki
    mlishigaki Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So it's all on discipline? Gosh a 500-600 calorie is hard. :/
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I understand why threads promoting dangerous diets aren't allowed by why aren't threads asking for advice on them are?

I mean the point is to have people avoid and not consider these diets right? Isn't a thread of someone asking about a diet and providing information on why its a bad idea useful to the community?

Not sure why this is reportable in otherwords. Making something so taboo that it cannot even be discussed causes more problems than it solves.

Asking about it isn't promoting it, but eventually you'll get some strong first posters popping in and THEY will be the ones trying to promote and encourage this. And this, per the CG, has been deemed a promotion of unhealthy weight loss practices.

Then those posts should be removed, I would think..

Ugh selectively removing posts seems worse actually because then you are censoring one opinion above another. Perhaps it is better to just censor the topic rather than selectively censor responses in which case you are biasing opinion not just avoiding a topic.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I understand why threads promoting dangerous diets aren't allowed by why aren't threads asking for advice on them are?

I mean the point is to have people avoid and not consider these diets right? Isn't a thread of someone asking about a diet and providing information on why its a bad idea useful to the community?

Not sure why this is reportable in otherwords. Making something so taboo that it cannot even be discussed causes more problems than it solves.

Asking about it isn't promoting it, but eventually you'll get some strong first posters popping in and THEY will be the ones trying to promote and encourage this. And this, per the CG, has been deemed a promotion of unhealthy weight loss practices.

Then those posts should be removed, I would think..

But then it's arguable that the OP was asking for experiences and why should those with good experiences be removed?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

OP:
    Read this link and all of the links in it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1#posts-16625920
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    poehr9cqow2abk.jpg
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    To be clear, I didn't report it to be an ***. A lot of times though, when these threads get locked, it can help the OP go "wow, I'm not even allowed to talk about here, it must be a really bad idea!". When these thread are allowed to run rampant (we've had a few in the past that popped up and became several pages long before the mods were able to get to it) you'll usually have at least one person pop in and go "it's great! best thing ever, you have to try! I'll even sell you some!"...and then the OP latches onto that one person and ignores everyone saying NO!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Please... just don't :flowerforyou:
  • bear2303
    bear2303 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    My mother in law and her sisters all did it. All lost an enormous amount of weight, I think like 40-60 pounds each in a few months. Looked great but ate practically nothing. They ALL gained it back in a few months!! NOT WORTH IT!!
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I had a friend do it under the supervision of a doctor, and she liked it. But, she was also morbidly obese, so I imagine it would be very similar to a doctor-supervised VLCD.

To me, it looks like a bad idea and causes way too much muscle loss. I wouldn't recommend it personally.
  • Togi11
    Togi11 Posts: 20
    Options
    I tried it - both injections and drops. You can lose weight if you suffer through it but it WILL screw up your metabolism forever more and make you totally carb sensitive. Now the only way I can lose weight is if I have a few days VLC like the 5-2.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Looked into it, as soon as she mentioned 700 cals a day I thought Hell no, get me out of here. I did some research after that (yes should have done it before) But there doesn't seem to be any real research showing any effectiveness. Anyone who eats 700 cals a day is going to lose weight, how can they attribute it to the hcg? I would steer clear.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I tried it - both injections and drops. You can lose weight if you suffer through it but it WILL screw up your metabolism forever more and make you totally carb sensitive. Now the only way I can lose weight is if I have a few days VLC like the 5-2.

Have you tried taking a break from dieting for awhile? While VLCDs can screw up your metabolism, it is rarely forever. A lot of people have success with bringing their metabolism back up this way.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

25 years old, Male, 7 pounds to lose, and this is how you want to do it? TDEE-10-15% and lift heavy. Not that you're going to listen.

Rigger
  • vpcastano
    vpcastano Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried it briefly, then suffered from a heart attack.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Looked into it, as soon as she mentioned 700 cals a day I thought Hell no, get me out of here. I did some research after that (yes should have done it before) But there doesn't seem to be any real research showing any effectiveness. Anyone who eats 700 cals a day is going to lose weight, how can they attribute it to the hcg? I would steer clear.

The hormone "theoretically" is supposed to help surpress appetite and do something else for the fat burning (I can't remember, it's been awhile since I bothered ot read about it). But as I said earlier, this failed to be proven in lab trials which is why it is not allowed to be labelled as a weight loss drug.
    But yeah, it's the 500-700 calories that attribute the weight loss.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

This...

Also, don't do it. It's very unhealthy, very dangerous. I know in some of the other threads a girl talked about how it actually killed her mother.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    IN because thread longevity is always amusing.

OP:

snlno.gif
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a week. Yes, I lost 10 pounds, but I had scary heart arrhythmias and severe agitation. I don't know if it was the starvation or the HCG drops. Either way, no thank you. I read somewhere that part of the reason you need fat in your diet is because it helps regulate your central nervous system, which of course helps keep your heart beating smoothly. I think I'd rather be alive, eat with moderation and lose slowly than be dead.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a week. Yes, I lost 10 pounds, but I had scary heart arrhythmias and severe agitation. I don't know if it was the starvation or the HCG drops. Either way, no thank you. I read somewhere that part of the reason you need fat in your diet is because it helps regulate your central nervous system, which of course helps keep your heart beating smoothly. I think I'd rather be alive, eat with moderation and lose slowly than be dead.

Yep, this gets my vote for the win.
This discussion has been closed.