Over 40 Fitness

Options

Replies

• Resolve2B
    Resolve2B Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Well...from one who has managed to be catapulted kicking and screaming into her 60s I can share a couple of "sage" (cuz that's what "old" people get to do, doncha know LOL) thoughts.

First of all, one can change metabolism and adjust body composition at any age. Is it harder as the decades fly by? Yup. Impossible? Nope....at least not in my humble opinion/experience.

When was in my early 50s (which is still a ways down the road for some of you who chimed in on this thread) I decided that if I wanted to enjoy a bikini body EVER in my lifetime it had to be right then. Atkins had been making his pitch at the time as was Agatston (South Beach) and I put myself on a low carb food "lifestyle". I also entered the gym...a place I had not been before!! I bumped up my daily walking pace/distance and did the full circuit of weight machines 2 - 3 times per visit (3 times a week). The pounds came off and I went from 128 pounds (which was my setpoint weight for as long as I can remember) to 112 pounds in 6 months. I had great abs and quads and dropped from size 8 pants to size 2 - 4 (depending on the style/cut).

Then...over time...I got busier/lazier/older...whatever! I also discovered a love for good wine.

I now describe myself as "skinny fat". My arms are skelatal but I have a nice ring of fat around my middle.

Here are a couple of things I've realized in the past decade relative to having an attractive body as one ages: (1) It's DAMN HARD to preserve muscle tissue. It just wants to disappear and starts to do so at an alarming rate at a certain point--for me that was about 5 years ago!! (2) A body with diminished muscle tissues does not burn (require) as many calories as a more youthful body that is comprised of more muscle so to lose weight (at least initially if one has been inactive) it is entirely possible that one has to reduce the calorie intake one could have enjoyed at another time in life. (3) Age and stress contribute to stores of fat in the belly. That's just the cold hard jiggling truth of things. (4) Becoming "comfortable" in one's life makes it become harder to enjoy pushing one's body in uncomfortable ways (such as experiencing "cravings" and exerting oneself to exercise).

So the conclusions I've drawn are: (1) The primary goal as one ages should be to protect and build muscle tissue...that means minutes devoted to exercise should focus on strength work more than aerobic burn. The more muscle one acquires the more calories the body will start to burn. In terms of food, there should be a concerted effort to make sure one hits one's protein goal every day. (2) Because fewer calories are required, there are none to "waste" on junk food. Make every calorie count toward fueling the body in a healthy manner. "Saving" calories to have dessert, or chips or wine deprives the body of healthier fuel. (3) Healthy ways to relieve stress are important to practice. (4) Finding motivation and inspiration are key. Finding ways in which to be "accountable" may be necessary. More "trial and error" may be necessary to find the exercise and food lifestyle that one can truly believe in and stick with.

Where I am with all this at the moment? Still struggling! I joined MFP at the end of December and I'm doing a lot of "trial and error" exploration. I have gotten food management pretty well under control. For me it meant subscribing to a diet of limited grains (bread, rice, pasta, crackers, etc) and limited refined sugar. It also meant that I needed to count calories because whereas at one time all I needed to do to lose weight was cut out the "junk", now I need to stay at 1200 or less to take off that belly fat. Since I've been counting calories I lost the pounds even though I have not exercised with ANY consistency worth even noting. I've also been gaining a "sense" of where I can find the protein I want and also where calories are lurking in the foods I consider --that helps me plan/arrange my choices from day to day. Am I hungry sometimes? Yes at times...but geesh no one ever died from an hour of feeling hungry. I also think those of us who are used to being "well fed" have a hard time distinguishing between true "hunger" and just "craving". And speaking of craving....don't even get me started about how hard it is to give up that pre-dinner glass of wine!! Just kill me now! :(

Bottom line...change is hard....really hard. It's easy to get discouraged because there is a lot of effort required and sometimes there doesn't seem to be enough "payoff" to trade for all that effort. And yet...if that "payoff" weren't so important, then none of us would be here would we? At some level the changes we seek are VERY important to us. How we find the strength and motivation is the real battle.

I do believe though (because at one time I experienced it) that given time and consistent effort the food/exercise lifestyle we seek becomes more our "norm". It won't always be "this hard".

[NOTE: the "realizations" and "conclusions" I've drawn are only MY personal experience/thoughts. I claim no expertise]
  • sartu
    sartu Posts: 15
    Options
    I am 48, always some belly weight but in the last month or two a lot of belly jelly has gathered in my lower tummy area. I experienced my first minor hot flashes too...so I am scrambling to find alternatives to this hormone issue (including dr. visits, but not taking synthetic, yet) . Usually when I consistently worked out I could see results fast but today things arent doing what they are "supposed" to do... There's a lot of supplements I take and have just recently found one that is helping me to naturally curb my appetite even post workout. I am amazed that the two bowls of stir fry I would normally have after a hard workout that if I take it while preparing my meal that one bowl is satisfying. Pine Nut oil..

The jury is still out on the belly jelly .. but
  • sartu
    sartu Posts: 15
    Options
    Body For Life has some simply easy to stick with work outs and you can do them in less than an hour as a matter of fact you HAVE to do them in less than an hour. I have been doing it for years when I don't feel like doing other things, these workouts are programmed in my mind and I can just "do it " and get it over with. Also, In my recent pre-menopausal state, I have been researching like crazy.. If you doubted every having a reason to work out with weights this statement might help.. just google weight lifting and bone density.. :wink:

“High-intensity resistance training, in contrast to traditional pharmacological and nutritional approaches for improving bone health in older adults, has the added benefit of influencing multiple risk factors for osteoporosis including improved strength and balance and increased muscle mass.” In other words, lifting heavy weights (high-intensity resistance training), not to be confused with those cardio classes with tiny dumbbells at the big box gyms, is better than drugs and supplements because it addresses more of the risk factors for osteoporosis.

This is a great site for workouts and information : http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/afterburn-3-ways-to-burn-more-fat-build-muscle.html
  • mkmfrog
    mkmfrog Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For me, in able to lose weight, burn fat and build strength, I did a complete 180 in the way I exercised and what I ate.

CALORIE DEFICIT is not the answer! Yeah, you read that correctly. That seems to be the blanket answer on MFP and it IRKS me! On days that I don't exercise, I am always over...yet because of what I am eating (clean, non-processed foods), I still lose weight and burn fat. I am very mindful of my daily protein and complex carb intake.

For women our age, HORMONAL IMBALANCE is way more a factor than our caloric intake. The foods we eat can play a huge role in that imbalance. Presevatives, gluten, natural estrogen, GMOs. And unless you are a woman whose hormones are imbalanced, there is no reason to even dispute that fact because you have no idea. Seriously!

"You cannot exercise your way out of bad diet."

I heard this statement for years. But it never rang more true than last summer when no matter how much I exercised, no matter how much of calorie deficit I had...I GAINED WEIGHT. Perimenopause aside, my diet mainly consisted of processed foods. Hormonal imbalance to the MAX. As soon as I eliminated those foods out of my life, the bloating disappeared, my body detoxed and I finally was able to lose fat and weight.

Love this - thanks Resolve2b:

So the conclusions I've drawn are:

(1) The primary goal as one ages should be to protect and build muscle tissue...that means minutes devoted to exercise should focus on strength work more than aerobic burn. The more muscle one acquires the more calories the body will start to burn. In terms of food, there should be a concerted effort to make sure one hits one's protein goal every day.

So true! IMO, MFP protein grams are extremely low. I take in between 100-130grms of protein a day.

(2) Because fewer calories are required, there are none to "waste" on junk food. Make every calorie count toward fueling the body in a healthy manner. "Saving" calories to have dessert, or chips or wine deprives the body of healthier fuel.

(3) Healthy ways to relieve stress are important to practice.

(4) Finding motivation and inspiration are key. Finding ways in which to be "accountable" may be necessary. More "trial and error" may be necessary to find the exercise and food lifestyle that one can truly believe in and stick with.

We have entered a whole new ball game gals...one in which our bodies are telling us to make our health and well being a priority! We are so worth it!
  • candace71
    candace71 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    40 and FABULOUS ????. Yeah ok.. If it doesn't already hurt it will! Lmao I'm 42 full of life and very thankful for everyday but dang where has the time went? Hard to believe I'm in my 40's. There was a time when I were a kid I thought.. That's OLD..lol nawwww that's GREAT!!!! Just wanted to stop in and say"HEY" Hope everybody is doing good‼️. Feel free to add me if ya want a nutty old friend????. I dare you.. Hehe
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm in my late 50's and in the best shape I've been in for thirty years. You can lose weight, and get fit at any age. It definitely is harder as you get older, but be patient and stick with it and you will get there.

Two things to remember are that the body doesn't absorb nutrients as efficiently as we age, and recovery time for exercise takes longer. Make sure you're getting more than enough of what you need nutritionally (plus some supplements) and allow yourself enough recovery time between workouts.

Make sure to also get enough fat in your diet. I find the collagen and gelatin from chicken skin and bone broth has really helped me with skin tone. I eat a lot of chicken thighs with the skin on and lots of whole eggs and full fat dairy and can't stress how important fats are in a healthy diet, especially with aging joints and skin. Don't fret about too much saturated fat. As long as you burn all your calories, there's nothing left hanging around in your bloodstream anyway.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and hypothyroid. I'm finishing losing the weight I gained when my body went all wacky bo-bo. What works for me is:
    * Eating a lot of protein, more than my carb intake.
    * MFP is set to 1500--because that's what Body Media is set for and since they sync, it was easier to have them match. I customized my macros. I often eat 1300-1500.
    * I pack all my food and water and take it with me--meals and snacks. No excuse to eat something bad.
    * Working out hard. I love the gym and it's stress relief, so that works. And when I don't really feel it--I just have a light day. But going always makes me feel better. I lift heavy, do HIIT and yoga (and I always stretch after working out). Sometimes I do spinning.

In spite of all the icky I've been through to get here, I'm about to pass my low weight of my pre-thyroid self. And I feel like I'm getting in the best shape of my life. Hang in there, it'll happen! :)
  • sgrmag99
    sgrmag99 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The last few posters really entertained and enlightened me. This thread has made me so happy! You're all so supportive kind and wise. I'm thankful for your input and look forward to continuing our talks. There's so much we are going through! I am the oldest of all my friends by ten years and nobody is even close to understanding my journey, including me! I feel like a kid with a body under revolt. I'm friending all you sweet gals and hope you'll help me float when I'm sinking. I've got a LOT to learn and this is from a girl who is sure she knows it all. Thank you for the love. Random acts of kindness from strangers uplift and restore my faith in people. It's going to be hard to up my protein and harder to watch me go over my calories. I love to eat. I hate what is happening to my once strong sexy form. I feel like my mother at 70+ lately! You gals are helping my mind and my spirit. Thank you.

I'm shocked about the extra fat intake and the effects on your skin! That's an amazing observation I'm almost in disbelief. I usually have to give it to my dog or my husband (haha not in that order!)

I feel like I try but I think I'm trying the wrong things.who the hell knew so SO much would change in such a short time? I had some major life challenges the past two years and on top of the incredible amount of stress I've been dealing with, my body did a complete 360 from the inside out. I'm seriously losing my mind and don't want my body to look gross this summer. I don't want to be old. I don't want to be thick in the middle and creasy and soft and not myself. I'm a summer baby and this season revives me. I can't let let I feel about how I look ruin me. Call me crazy but I've got a few years of sexy left in me and I for sure ain't wasting it!!

Keep your positive thoughts coming, your wise insight, and your love coming. I truly look forward to reading your posts every day!

Lastly. Friend me. I really need the support of chicks our age on my side
    Have a wonderful day!! ????
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I am 61 years old and thought I couldn't lose because my metabolism was slow. I even had my doctor test me, but everything came back negative. I know a lot of people on here say to up your calories, but it didn't work for me. I had to stay at 1200 calories until I hit goal. Then I was able to up it a bit for maintenance. I am often hungry, but find that when I stay away from junk food and try to stick to healthy natural foods (lots of fruits and veggies), I feel satisfied longer. That doesn't mean I deprive myself of sweets, but it does mean that I take them in moderation. As a matter of fact, portion control has been the most important key to my successful weight loss. As for exercise, even after several years, I still have to force myself to get started, but after I finish, I always feel better. An added benefit is that I don't feel the urge to graze as much on days when I exercise. I try and switch it up so I don't get bored (alternate TM with circuit training). I won't give you advice, as you have to find what works for you, but drinking lots of water has been very helpful to me. You CAN DO THIS!!!! We all support you! Good luck.:happy:

I'm 58 and agree with all ^^^^^^^ Eating good food and avoiding c---p works for me - I only feel really hungry when I have wasted calories on food which doesn't give me much nutrition. I do get hungry before meals and never feel really full but I am used tot hat now and prefer not feeling stuffed.

I enjoy my wine and build in a measured amount into every evening (150 - 175 ml); I save it until after my meal so that I can savour it - I am happy adding a bit of water to make it go further (can't drink it without now!). I used to drink a lot more than that - arguing it helped alleviate stress - it didn't really.

Good luck and take good care of yourself
  • mkmfrog
    Options
    I'm 43 and hypothyroid. I'm finishing losing the weight I gained when my body went all wacky bo-bo. What works for me is:

* Eating a lot of protein, more than my carb intake.

* MFP is set to 1500--because that's what Body Media is set for and since they sync, it was easier to have them match. I customized my macros. I often eat 1300-1500.

* I pack all my food and water and take it with me--meals and snacks. No excuse to eat something bad.

* Working out hard. I love the gym and it's stress relief, so that works. And when I don't really feel it--I just have a light day. But going always makes me feel better. I lift heavy, do HIIT and yoga (and I always stretch after working out). Sometimes I do spinning.

This ^^^!

Stress is a vicious cycle. Last summer, before I went on my program, stress came from external and internal forces. The internal ones --- myself. I was stressed out about perimenopause, hormonal imbalance and how these two factors negated any efforts I made to lose weight. We know stresses causes the release of cortisol, which is one of the causes of belly fat.

Gained belly fat - stressed that I couldn't lose weight - gained belly fat - stressed that I couldn't lose weight - gained belly fat - stressed that I couldn't lose weight - vicious cycle

Once I decided to SERIOUSLY do something about my weight and hormonal imbalance, the stress caused by internal forces slowly dissipated. Once I saw that in the first month I had lost 5 lbs and 10 inches, I really felt relief and realized that there is viable solution. I am no longer in the "stress caused by internal forces" vicious cycle.

IMO, stress caused by external forces is easy to deal...GO WORK OUT!

In order to be successful, I had to change my mindset -- this is journey with no destination. But it is journey that requires commitment, dedication and doesn't allow for excuses. At 46, I AM in the best shape ever! I may have been smaller in my 20s and early 30s, but I am more solid on the outside and healthier in the inside.

OP - You can do this!!!
  • sing1998
    sing1998 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    jillian michaels recommends no alcohol until you're at maintenance weight. I replaced evening cocktail with herbal tea. sounds like stress may be a problem for you, keep trying something that helps you wind down. yoga? reading? music? gabbing on phone or online? bubble bath? replace the fat packing habits to create a new lean lifestyle. not so easy to do! I'm always struggling too.
  • Resolve2B
    Resolve2B Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just another comment about stress and belly fat. I am SUCH a believer! Before I retired I was a public school Speech/Language Pathologist. Spring was THE WORST time of the year for so many reasons. By that time the caseload had expanded to almost a breaking point. Kids had been referred for testing (usually the second half of the school year) and there were SO many meetings and SO much paperwork.

Even though that would be the time that I'd up my exercise (the weather got nice enough for regular brisk walks) and start really watching my diet (in prep for summer clothes) I would gain a horrific "belly". Then it would take me several months of summer relaxation for it to go down. Fall would be "ok" and then spring would bring on the belly.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked about the extra fat intake and the effects on your skin! That's an amazing observation I'm almost in disbelief. I usually have to give it to my dog or my husband (haha not in that order!)

Fats are essential for your body to do cell repair and other important things. Collagen and gelatin are proteins, but the best sources of them are skin and connective tissue. Chicken thighs with skin on give plenty of both if you cook them slowly (baking, grilling, etc...) to break down the collagen and release the gelatin. There are also several fat soluble vitamins and nutrients that you won't get much of in a low at diet.

Fat doesn't make people fat and doesn't have that correlation to heart disease that we all grew up hearing constantly. Eating excess calories causes weight gain regardless of the source and more recent studies suggest that insulin levels and high blood sugar have a much stronger correlation to circulatory problems than dietary fat fat alone does.
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    As someone in her late 60s, I agree 200% about the importance of building and maintaining muscle, because if we don't do anything about it, that age-related muscle loss is very real. When that happens(the muscle loss that is)all sorts of bad things set in even besides one's body going to pot(literally). Things like falls, injuries, decreasing ability to do daily activities and living independently, etc. Flexibility and balance work becomes important too, for many of the same reasons.
    The stress connection is huge too. Unfortunately many women are stressed-out from a variety of angles, making it even more challenging. Sadly, many middle-aged and up women still haven't gotten the message about weight training(or the equivalent, as in certain very strengthening forms of yoga, acrobatic/circus training etc.). Meaning that the group who stands to benefit the most is doing it the least. I read a totally depressing statistic a few years back - post-menopausal women are the group that's least likely to get any exercise, period, let alone any resistance training! The sooner one gets started, the better. For myself, I found weight training in my early-ish 30s and have been doing it pretty much ever since, even when I had no access to a gym for awhile.
    Also, don't forget that even with being active, one's calorie needs do go down by 200 per decade, so by the time one is in late middle-age verging on the beginning of older age, for some women it really does take sticking to a much lower calorie count along with eating superbly(as in really cleanly - no junk), AND more exercise to make inroads on extra weight. The perfectly healthy maintenance diet that was fine for one at 40, becomes over-eating by the time one is say, 65 and it continues from there.. But for some people as they get older, their appetite naturally diminishes anyway, so it might not be quite as hard as it sounds to stick to a lower calorie range.
    Another HUGE factor in this that it doesn't seem that people have touched on much is the fact that the hormonal shifts leading up to menopause and after, often render a woman insulin-resistant, and with a higher fasting blood sugar than formerly, even if she never had a problem before. Same with cholesterol, for the same reason. Fat will not be lost until insulin has gotten under control. That means watching what kind and how many carbs one is eating, along with solid exercise. The type and amount of carbs that was fine before might not be now, depending on one's sensitivity. One's digestion and assimilation of carbs changes in general at middle age too. As in, they take longer to go through the digestive tract, and more calories are absorbed as a result. Guess what that means! For some people, they're carb-sensitive even when they are young, so it's going to be extra-challenging for them when they get to be middle-aged.
    Anyhow, just some thoughts here to add to the thread!:)
  • sgrmag99
    Options
    jillian michaels recommends no alcohol until you're at maintenance weight. I replaced evening cocktail with herbal tea. sounds like stress may be a problem for you, keep trying something that helps you wind down. yoga? reading? music? gabbing on phone or online? bubble bath? replace the fat packing habits to create a new lean lifestyle. not so easy to do! I'm always struggling too.

I love Jillian. I've done all of her DVD's at one time or another, and always get results. It certainly depends on my level of dedication though! Those DVD's aren't doing me a bit of good on my shelf lately. I wish I could rub one against my belly and make it all go away :)

I ran into a swimmer for fitness person yesterday. I found her story interesting. She never swam before, but started because she was 40 and didn't want to hang out at the gym with the kids. She lost 2 inches on her waist and belly just by swimming. Maybe I need to change up my fitness for a while. I do yoga and some light weight machine training, but find the training boring. I also hate water, so maybe swimming will get me over that. We'll see.

Just a note about not wanting to be in the gym with kids. Its not them, its us. We're just jealous we're not that young anymore. At least I am. I'm also sad I can't keep up with them. A note to the kids, be kind to us old ladies!! we're just like you wondering what the heck happened!
  • MichiganJen
    MichiganJen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I swear I am going to friend you all just for the constant reminder that I'm not alone in this battle. :)

I'll be 44 next month. In the last year I lost a thyroid and gained 40 pounds in about six months. I started doing stregnth training and trying to stick to about 1700-1800 net a day two weeks ago and it's been bumpy! This week I'm starting to cut way back on processed carbs to see if I can encourage things along. The scale isn't budging, but I'm hopeful I'll get the week ten "woosh" that I've read about here a few times.

This getting older...not for wimps!
  • sgrmag99
    Options
    I agree! I'm so glad I started this thread! You gals (and guys!) have been great
  • mkmfrog
    Options
    Just a note about not wanting to be in the gym with kids. Its not them, its us. We're just jealous we're not that young anymore. At least I am. I'm also sad I can't keep up with them. A note to the kids, be kind to us old ladies!! we're just like you wondering what the heck happened!

Whoa..I am not jealous of any of the 20-30 something gals at the gym. Most will be lucky to look as good as me at 46! Heck, I look better than many I see now and I have the self- confidence that comes with age. Many young gals at the gyms I go to are overweight...and this at an age when their metabolism is the highest.

The trainer I met with last week said I was "buffest" 46 yr old lady he has ever seen! :) Gotta love that from a 23 year old dude!

Do you think the young ppl are judging you or noticing that you cant keep up with them? I have never experienced that, but that is because I am just as self-absorbed as they are and dont notice much...except my buffness! Ha! Ha! :)

Find exercises, classes that you like and will keep doing. I dont know many women who love to just do strength training and the cardio machines. Sure, they will do them...but not many will sustain. Why,...because we are social creatures. We like to socialize. So find classes that mix weights and cardio. Find a place that you will be excited to go to! Dont just do an excercise for the sake of exercising. You will not sustain it. There are some wonderful cardio and HIIT classes out there now.

The goal should not be just lose the belly fat...because it will come back. The goal should be to begin and sustain a healthy lifestyle. Beat the effects of aging! Well, at least that is my goal!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Speaking of the the effects of aging..............wondering how many of you use anti-aging products? I had been hesitating to use them because I wondered if, over time, they did more harm than good. Now I am also wondering about the safety of the ingredients being used over time. They Vitamin A, which is what is in most of these products, has been shown to cause damage to the skin when exposed to sunlight. Well, I already have very sun-sensitive skin, and a suspicious area on my face as it is............what do you all think?
  • sgrmag99
    Options
    mkmfrog you're totally right, and I didn't mean it to sound weird about the kids at the gym thing. I think what I meant was sometimes its a bit overwhelming for us agers to get into the swing of working out and seeing younger, more fit people can sometimes work against us mentally. Believe me, if I were in your shoes I would be thrilled to be at the gym, and while I look great for my age I know I can't keep up with them. I didn't want to feel like I was insulting the younger generation by saying what I said, so I tried to add a disclaimer, which I guess worked against me. Did all that make sense? I'm really not thinking clearly lately. Please excuse me.

Im not looking to spot reduce. I am looking to get in total shape, meaning I want to be strong fit and active going forward. I don't need to have rock hard abs, or a killer butt, but if thats what happens along the way then I'll take it. :)))) My goals have changed recently and I'm just looking to find my way now… I want to find something I love to do every day and have it fit into my crazy life.