How do you make your Quonia?

Options

Replies

• pharris888
    Options
    I sneak it into steel cut oats 3/4 oats to 1/4 quinoa. My son never noticed.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I use it as a substitute in cold pasta salads (Mediterranean salad includes kalamata olives, low fat feta, cucumbers, fresh tomatoes, lemon juice, salt and pepper)

I also have used it to make hot breakfast cereal...adding raisins, apples, almond milk, cinnamon and brown sugar.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/10/apples-and-cinnamon-breakfast-quinoa.html

*edited to give you the recipe! :D *
  • BrittDoesIt
    BrittDoesIt Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    in a quesadilla with some black beans cheese and salsa nom nom
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've been making it into a salad lately. Quinoa, diced red pepper, diced cucumber, radishes, sundried tomatoes, feta cheese and Newman's Own Balsamic vinaigrette. That and a bit of protein = amazing lunch that powers me through.
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    Quinoa - the food that is so trendy in the U.S. that the people who live in the areas where it is grown can no longer afford to eat. I quit buying it, at least until supply catches up with demand.
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I add some parsley and or cilantro, tomatoes and cucumber for a Mediterranean salad:love:
  • Angurla
    Angurla Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My hubby eats it plain with chicken. I have made it with cucumber, tomato, feta etc. A spicy version with black beans. I want to try it as a breakfast. I have stuffed peppers with it too. I stuffed plabanos once with black beans and spices it and it was good.
  • jramaral
    jramaral Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can also toast and then grind into a flour and use in recipes instead of oat flour.
  • JennafurC
    JennafurC Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Avocado, edamame, some feta cheese & balsamic vinegar. SO GOOD.

I use it in place of pastina in soup now too.
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hot Breakfast Quinoa

1 Cup Quinoa
    2 Cups Water
    Salt
    1/2 Cup chopped apples, pears, raisins, soaked almonds or dates (optional) - I use apples and raisins
    1/2 Cup rice milk
    1 TBS maple syrup
    Pineapple bits, toasted shredded coconut, and/or 1/2 tsp cinnamon (for garnish) - I don't garnish - good with just the milk and syrup

Rinse the quinoa and drain. Place the quinoa in a saucepan over high heat, add the water and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add whatever fruit you desire and continue to simmer until all the water is absorbed. Serve with rice milk and a drizzle of maple syrup. Use garnishes if you want.

When I make this I only ever use apples and raisins and then I garnish with the rice milk, maple syrup only. I'm sure cooking with golden raisins would probably be really good too but I've only ever used regular raisins. This makes enough for several days and you just portion some out, warm it up and add the rice milk and syrup and stir right before you eat it. Easy to take to work if you are like me and eat at your desk once you are there.
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My Mom's friend made this recently and it was delicious:
    Quinoa Tabouleh

2 cups water
    1cup quinoa
    1 can drained blk beans
    1 seedless cucumber peeled and chopped
    1red pepper, chopped
    Scallions chopped
    1/3 cup minced parsley
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper

Cook quinoa, fluff with fork, cool, add the rest and pour lemon juice and oil salt and pepper.
  • tasha_c
    tasha_c Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I, too, love to make a greek quinoa salad with feta, tomato, olives, cucumber, tzatziki & chicken.

My latest favourite recipe for quinoa is:

Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Salad:
    quinoa cooked in chicken broth
    grilled chicken
    celery
    a few crumbles of blue cheese
    Frank's Red Hot
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I mix it 50:50 with oats for a porridge with a nutty flavour and hint of crunch, but not for protein: Oats actually have MORE protein than quinoa per 100g (approx 17g vs 14g).
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My ex got me hooked on quinoa 12 years ago when he started making breakfast skillets with it. He'd mix it with onion, garlic, tofu, and whatever veggies were on hand. Mix in a touch of honey mustard dressing and fresh ground black pepper and it's freaking delicious.
  • hei_ma_ma
    hei_ma_ma Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I know what quinoa is. What is quonia? Is it a new version of quinoa? Or something else altogether?
  • tinglesby
    tinglesby Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I like mine as a slightly warm Greek Salad

Kalmata Olives (chopped)

Feta Cheese

Diced cucumber, tomato, and red onion

Drizzle w/ olive oil

I usually have it w/ Charred Chicken skewers that I rub down with garlic, oregano, and mint (squeeze lemon over it after it's grilled)

holy moly that sounds amazing!!
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Quinoa - the food that is so trendy in the U.S. that the people who live in the areas where it is grown can no longer afford to eat. I quit buying it, at least until supply catches up with demand.

So it's better to not support agriculture in the regions it's coming from?
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa with pretty much everything.

In salads, as a warm side dish on its own, but my fave way to indulge is to make Quinoa Pizza Bites! SO delish :)

I've been craving pizza like crazy! How do you make them?
  • ezloshead
    Options
    I know what quinoa is. What is quonia? Is it a new version of quinoa? Or something else altogether?
    Seems I spelled it wrong. Sorry.
  • ezloshead
    Options
    in a quesadilla with some black beans cheese and salsa nom nom

NOMNOMNOM indeed.