Not able to increase weights at gym

Options
I have been working out for about a month and a half. I go to the gym four days a week for about 45 minutes each day (I go on my lunch break). My problem is that I don't feel like I am getting any stronger. Instead of feeling like I need to increase the weight I am lifting, I feel like I get worn out faster. When I first started I was completing all reps and sets. Now before I am done with each exercise I feel like I physically cannot keep going. And once I am completely done with my daily workout I feel so exhausted and just wish I could sleep. Does anyone have any ideas of what I might be doing wrong? Shouldn't I be progressing instead of going backwards?

** I am consuming about 1400 calories a day. I am trying to cut fat without losing the little muscle I have. I drink plenty of water.
**I eat a snack before I go to the gym. I normally have a piece of low calorie bread with almond butter, sometimes I eat two pieces of this, depending on my hunger.

I do 5 minutes of cardio to warmup everyday.

Upper Body Day: Monday/Thursday

Dumbell curls: 12.5 pounds 3 sets of 12
Bent over Tricep kickbacks with dumbells: 15 pounds 3 sets of 12 on each arm
laying tricep extension with barbell: 20 pounds 3 sets of 12
chest fly machine: 30 pounds 3 sets of 12

Lower Body Day: Tuesday/Friday

Smith Machine squats: 25 pounds 3 sets of 10-12
Seated Leg curl-55 pounds 3 sets of 10-12
Leg extension-55 pounds 3 sets of 10-12
Calf extension-70 pounds 3 sets of 12

And I do abs (crunches or hanging knee raises) all four days.

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Eating enough protein? Getting enough rest? Eating enough period? Drinking enough water?
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    What are the exercises? How much weight? Etc.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but as I understand it ,losing weight and gaining muscle is quite difficult with small gains over a large time frame. It can be done while on maintenance with out gaining weight, but it still goes slow, just not AS slow. Gaining weight and going heavier is the easiest with the fastest results.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    what are you doing exactly...there is more to weight training than just randomly picking up a dumbbell and knocking out sets and reps...to make gains you need to have a properly programmed routine and you need to follow that routine.

I would add that strength gains come slower in a deficit of energy, but you should be making some gains over the course of 1.5 months with a properly programmed routine.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    what are you doing exactly...there is more to weight training than just randomly picking up a dumbbell and knocking out sets and reps...to make gains you need to have a properly programmed routine and you need to follow that routine.

this.

and what is your food situation like?
  • karenburnsbot
    karenburnsbot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It really does depend on what your lifting program is, but my first two impulses are to say 1. Eat more protein, and 2. Lift 3x per week and do something else the other day you are at the gym. Maybe you aren't getting enough recovery time between workouts.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but as I understand it ,losing weight and gaining muscle is quite difficult with small gains over a large time frame. It can be done while on maintenance with out gaining weight, but it still goes slow, just not AS slow. Gaining weight and going heavier is the easiest with the fastest results.

She wants to preserve muscle and is looking to make strength gains, not mass gains…from the looks of her post anyway.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Now before I am done with each exercise I feel like I physically cannot keep going. And once I am completely done with my daily workout I feel so exhausted and just wish I could sleep. Does anyone have any ideas of what I might be doing wrong? Shouldn't I be progressing instead of going backwards?

** I am consuming about 1400 calories a day. I am trying to cut fat without losing the little muscle I have.

Sounds like one or a combination of any of these:

1) Not eating enough calories.
    2) Ensure macro intake is enough. Maybe not enough carbs....maybe not enough protein?
    3) Possibly over-training

It could be that since you arent eating enough, your body isnt fully recovered from the last time you worked out and you are just tearing yourself down some more. Having sufficient carbs should get you through the workouts and sufficient protein should aid in the recovery process.

Not sure what else to say based on the limited info regarding your routine and your diary being unavailable.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your workout routine, this reads to me like you walk into the gym, pick up a weight and do the same amount of weight and sets each time. You need a proven routine. You're not going to get stronger if you do the same thing over and over. Up your weight while lowering your reps. Lift heavy, knocking out 5 sets of 5 reps, then next time add more weight by a few pounds. Do that each time and you'll get stronger. Look into Stronglifts 5X5 or one of the other greawt routines.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I've found that when I stall out a couple of rest days and a heap of protein helps a lot. I usually come back with a PR or two. I'm still not lifting very heavy, but 3 or fewer barbell workouts per week with cardio and yoga on the off days seems to get me the best strength results.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't lift weights every day, at least not in the same muscle groups. Find a program that splits you or do a full body workout every other day and do some light cardio on the days in between if you still want to get a workout in. I recommend New Rules of Lifting (for Women, but the programs aren't very different.) It starts you from the beginning and is designed so that you can take on progressively more heavy weights. It also includes a sample eating plan that might help.

Eat more protein. If you're aiming for 1g/lb of lean body mass now, up it to 1g/lb total body weight.

Eat back your exercise calories. Try logging your weight training as "calisthenics" for better numbers. Or consider decreasing your deficit until you are losing at .5lb/week. You will still lose weight and cut fat, but you'll have more energy for your workouts which seems to be the problem.

Play around with meal timing to see if you can better fuel yourself for the workout. You may need a pre-workout snack to get you through it: protein, quick carbs, and/or caffeine might help. Make sure you're getting a dose of protein either after your workout or before bed as well for muscle recovery.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Get a fitness assessment and work with a trainer a few times. You can then make appointments with him or her a few times a year, to see how you are progressing.
  • sheilamcd329
    sheilamcd329 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I edited my post and added my routine. I am not wanting to make huge gains. I just want to increase my strength and endurance. I do not want to put on size. Just lean out.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    sounds more like you don't have enough energy, as in your not eating enough

other then that, if i really want to force some strength gains i go to forced negatives
  • sheilamcd329
    sheilamcd329 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your workout routine, this reads to me like you walk into the gym, pick up a weight and do the same amount of weight and sets each time. You need a proven routine. You're not going to get stronger if you do the same thing over and over. Up your weight while lowering your reps. Lift heavy, knocking out 5 sets of 5 reps, then next time add more weight by a few pounds. Do that each time and you'll get stronger. Look into Stronglifts 5X5 or one of the other greawt routines.

I edited my post and added my routine. I am not wanting to make huge gains. I just want to increase my strength and endurance. I do not want to put on size. Just lean out.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Your program is not really geared for strength gains - more for endurance with the higher rep ranges.

More informed people will help you out, I'm sure, but you'll want to look at programs like Starting Strength, Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLW), and All Pro's Beginner Workout (not as focused on strength, but supposedly more forgiving of a calorie deficit).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1400 total? on all days?

not adding exercise in and the food for that?

you're NET should be 1400.

so if you say I am eating 1400. But I worked out- which was 400... that's 1800 you need to eat for the day.

As I suspected originally: you aren't eating enough. Being tired and not getting anywhere- especially with a program like the one you listed- you just aren't eating enough.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You likely need to eat more and/or rest more.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

You won't put on any size while in a deficit, assuming you're not obese (didn't check your stats). You will lean out. You will get more muscle definition. You will get smaller and more firm over all.