Gym Membership fees

Options
fedup30
fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
My small town just re-opened a fitness center, and I would really like to join. Thing is, I am pretty poor :embarassed: My insurance does not cover it either. My question is this; What do you pay per month in fees, and What do you think is a reasonable amount for a membership??

I am going to stop in after work today, to check on the cost, but I heard it's $40 a month....is this good? Remember, I am quite poor!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    20-40 is pretty reasonable.

I think LA Fitness was 35- 29/32 plus taxes so I mentally just rounded to 35.

Currently I pay 25 and change.

anything over 50 and I get really annoyed/balk. I don't want to pay more than 30/40.

If I can get into a big chain gym, access to a pool, hot tub, sauna and all the gyms around the country for 35 bucks- why is your gym so special it's so much more. I get that smaller gyms have to charge more- but I mean my powerhouse is a smaller gym- still only 25$.

100+ dollar gyms better come with a happy ending.
  • perfectlytrained
    perfectlytrained Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think 40 is a bit much, but that's my take. I have a friend that pays month to month at a local gym in a small town and it's 20 for him (awesome equipment, too)...

Do you have a ymca near you? if so, they take into account your financial situation and will adjust fees accordingly (as long as you can provide proof of your situation).... this has been a lifesaver for me since I'm a single parent and the father gives zilch support (financially, mentally or physically) and there's little I can do since he lives in another country. The only downside to the y is no late night workouts and kid zone hours are very limited on weekends
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    It depends. Is it a basic equipment only, no services type gym? If so, $40 seems high to me. I'd check out what you're getting for those $40. Are there any classes that you'd like to take?

Also, gyms are usually priced such that the more you pay up front (considered the "initiation fee"), the less your monthly fee will be. This only works in your favor, of course, if you plan on going to that gym for a long time (usually 2+ years).

My current gym is $20/month, has some classes and tons of equipment, but I'm also currently joining a Kaia Fit which I enjoy much more, but also costs a LOT more, but I think I get more out of those classes than I do on my own.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    The gym here charges $50/month as their lowest rate, it just goes up from there. That fee doesn't include childcare, and they charge per child. This is why I do not have a gym membership despite the facility being walking distance from my house.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I belong to the community center. It has an indoor pool for the kiddo, weights for DH and I that covers our needs, and a decent amount of elliptical machines etc.. to warm up on. It's a small town in TX so no crowds. (Except for about 5 minutes after Jan 1)
  • msurads06
    msurads06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The gym is probably more expensive because it is in a small town. I live in a small town and $40/month is the individual price at the gym/fitness center here. While it is a lot of money, it is less money than someone would spend in gas to drive 1 hr to the closest big town with a gym. It offers weight machines, cardio machines and a few classes like zumba, yoga, etc. I wish it had more free weights but atleast we have something in town now, at one point I was making the drive 2-3x/week to a larger gym. I am fortunate that as a hospital employee I get a free membership.

If money is really tight you could always pick up weights/workout equipment on craigslist or do workout videos/walking/jogging.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My small town just re-opened a fitness center, and I would really like to join. Thing is, I am pretty poor :embarassed: My insurance does not cover it either. My question is this; What do you pay per month in fees, and What do you think is a reasonable amount for a membership??

I am going to stop in after work today, to check on the cost, but I heard it's $40 a month....is this good? Remember, I am quite poor!

It's really going to depend on the gym and what kind of amenities and the like they have. I used to belong to a club that was around $120 for an individual membership...but it was a "club"...it was very nice and you could get massages (add'l fee) and they had all manner of classes as well as an olympic pool, hot tubs, saunas, etc.

Most recently my wife and I and the kiddos had a family membership to the Jewish Community Center which was an excellent facility and only $93 for the family...unfortunately, it is across town from our residence and the commuting on top of work commuting and the like was getting to be too much...to boot, the kids are still a bit young to take advantage of most of the kids activities that come with the membership.

My wife now belongs to a simple gym near her work and she is rather enjoying it...it's $25/month. I now belong to a no frills power gym near my house and it is a 24/7 access and $20/month...but it's just pretty much a free weight room and a boxing ring and two standard restrooms.

$40-$50 is pretty typical for a big box commercial type gym.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I go to Retro Fitness. I pay $20 a month and an annual fee of $40 (I think). Childcare can be added for the year for another $20 and they also have tanning. Didn't check the price, because I am tan lol. :smokin:
  • amw5471
    amw5471 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I pay $65 a month but included in the membership is a 2 hr meeting with a trainer every 6 weeks to reevaluate your fitness plans and come up with new workout ideas and a measurements taking session every 3 months (which really I would NOT pay extra for but is nice). I think the trainer eval pays for itself. Also, my gym is on the road I take to drive to and from work so I save in gas and guilt!
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    That is about what I paid to go to the YMCA. However, I like Planet Fitness now because it is much cheaper. If they have it in your area is 10 dollars a month, 20 if you want to bring along friends with you. They have a lot of equipment and machines, however, they don't do "extras" like zumba, pools, child care, etc.

Basically, the more bare bones of a gym you find, the cheaper it will be, but the more "extras" it has, whether you use them or not, the more expensive it will be. It will also depend on your area and the competition in that area.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am in New York City and pay $79 a month...that is pretty low (for a place that includes classes and has a pool) for this area. It was similar when I lived in DC
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    What do you want to get out of the gym?

For $40 you could start to build up a pretty decent setup at home if you've got the space - secondhand stuff for weights.
    Go running outside, get a cheap push bike for getting cardio while going A to B.
    Can get quite a lot on freecycle and similar if you keep an eye out.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I go to a big club gym and our couple membership is $125 including tax/fees, so it's about $63 per person. I like to go to a nicer gym that has indoor and outdoor pools (somewhere to cool off in the hot Texas summer!) and lots of classes, so that's why I picked this one. It's definitely worth it to me and I go regularly, but I can see how people also like the basic gyms that are $10/month. I've tried them but I really prefer classes and pools and never went.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I pay $50 a month for my gym membership. I enjoy my gym and use it. So worth every penny.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I currently live in a small town and there is the community centre and a private fitness centre. The fitness centre is around 40-60/month and it really well stocked and large, but it is still basic, lots of equipment, but just a locker room and some showers.

The community centre for a gym is expensive for what you get, I once paid $80 for a month with access to the pool and gym. Any classes were extra and they are expensive at $11/hour. It would be $50 for just the gym which consists of a couple cardio machines, a few dumbbells max 20lbs, and one universal gym. That was too much in my opinion.

In the city where my boyfriend lives he pays $10-15/month with my corporate discount with a 30$ yearly fee paid in May. Its a decent gym, but does have more cardio and circuit training machines then actual weights. If you go to one of the gyms in the chain with my corporate discount it is $5/month.
    Check to see if they have a corporate rate for your work place.

When I lived in the city as well I went to the local community centre which was $50/month which included the fitness centre, access to the gym, hot tub, indoor running rack and included drop in yoga plus other classes I didn't go to. It was worth it for me to pay that amount.

One thing to consider which a coworker pointed out to me, so many of us will think nothing of going and spending $5 on a fancy coffee a few times a month and yet a gym membership or a 1 hour class is deemed too expensive. *This also depends on your own personal priorities as well
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I pay $20 a month and a $45 annual fee. It's a pretty small gym but it's close to home. I'm looking to switch this fall to another one - it's $50 a month with $125 to join BUT it's HUGE, it has a pool (which is what I really really want) and their fitness classes are included in membership. It's also in a decent location - I can get there by driving a different way to/from work.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, it all depends on where you are/what the gym has to offer.

For here, a $40 monthly fee is a good deal. You cannot get a monthly membership anywhere here for less than $60 (plus tax). Most gyms will offer a special for $120 plus tax for 3 months, but you have to pay the $120 up front. Yearly memberships work out to less per month but again, it is an upfront cost.
    I signed up for th YMCA today and it is $55 a month for the "perpetual member ship" meaning it keeps coming out every month and I am committed for at least 3 months. Just to go for one month is over $70.
    That said, our YMCA does offer a program that will adjust the fee for you if you can't afford it.

In some areas you get big box gyms with super low fees, we don't have that option.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I live in the Chicago suburbs and currently am a member of L.A. Fitness. I am on a deal through my husband's employer, so it is about $30 per month, no initiation fee, and I can use any L.A. Fitness anywhere.

I used to be a member of my community center, which was around $10 per month. It was equipment only, no pool, no classes, and the weight machines were limiting. Also, it was mostly older folks on physical therapy and such, which I completely understand but didn't give me motivation by being around impressive peers.
  • s_ramthun
    s_ramthun Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I log into melissabender.com and workout for free right in my living room. You need minimal weights since she uses mostly body weight exercises and then after a 12-20 min session you can go outside and walk or jog! Totally free! There are other countless free workout sites on You tube.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Yes that is reasonable more if they have a pool but by looking at the price i am assuming they do not. Also if you have a FSA, and a Note of medical need to treat (doctors note) a medical condition you will get reimbursed from your FSA account for the membership dues. A medical condition could include family history of diabetic, high blood pressure ect ect the list is endless.