Does this seem like too much?

Options
I am a 20 year old female who weighs around 230-240 pounds I haven't weighed myself lately. I know I weighed 232 last time I checked, but I feel as though I have packed on weight since.
My goal is to get down to 145-150 pounds as far as exercise here are my plans, though I have no idea if it would be considered okay or too much.
I plan on getting up at 6am each morning 7 days a week and walking from my house to the park walking for a whole hour probably with my dog so I have to keep a pace.
After 3-4 days out of the week I was thinking of doing water aerobics and maybe even a few classes in the afternoon.
The last thing I plan to do is insanity with my mother because I know she is really wanting to lose weight as well.
I know it will be very hard for me to do in the beginning and probably painful and tiring but I've spent my whole life over weight and I feel like now is the time to change that.

Any recommendations or insight would be helpful. Thank you for your time :)

Replies

212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that calorie restriction is going to a bigger component of your weight loss than your workouts. Not saying you shouldn't work out of course.

As far the amount you plan on doing, I don't think it is too much since it is all pretty low intensitity.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    NeverCatchYourBreath Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    That's a lot. The guy who said it was low intensity clearly has never heard of Insanity.

I don't think walking your dog is a bad thing but make sure you're getting enough sleep to be able to walk your dog and do insanity. Sleep is vital for not over working yourself. Also about the dog walking... vets recommend not walking your dog for longer than 20 minutes at a time... so maybe tone that down a bit so you can get more sleep and help out your pooch.

Also, you'll need to be able to maintain a good diet with all that work or you could really wear yourself out.
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    The planning on working out is great, but calories are important also. I would start with a slow work out and build. It is nice to plan until the cows come home, but if it isn't something you can realistically do - it won't help
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If it is too much for you, don't be ashamed to scale back. Weight loss is about a calorie deficit. Exercise can help you create a larger one and improve your health, but it isn't necessary for weight loss. If it's not too much then stick with it but still don't forget to eat at a deficit
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I think its great you're incorporating a lot of cardio because it will jumpstart that weight loss but I got in shape through a calorie deficit and lifting (my cardio is no more than 3x a wk). Two summers ago I weighed less than I do now BUT now my clothes fit better, definitely from the lifting and building that muscle. Cardio is good for the heart though and I think it is good for mood boosting and energy purposes.Maybe swap one of your cardio routines for lifting. Best of luck to you :)
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I agree on starting slower. When I started, it was all I could do to ride for 15 minutes on the bike trainer, and I got tired walking less than a mile. Now 3 months later, I can ride my bike outside for over an hour, and walk 3 miles in an hour, and I do one or the other 6 days per week. I think if I had tried for more right from the start, I would probably have ended up injured and discouraged!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds like a lot to take on right away. I did Insanity and considered myself to be quite fit at the time... it is a tough workout, especially in the 2nd month.

I think you may have better luck with continued success if you ease into a healthier life style... if I were you, I may start out with the hour walks and go from there... perhaps adding in the water aerobics after you see how the daily walks feel.

After completing both Insanity and T25, I would recommend looking into T25. The workouts are shorter and there is a modified version for each workout, so it's a lot easier to fit in other activities with T25 compared to Insanity. I was playing a lot of hockey while doing Insanity and it was definitely too much.

Of course, if you really want to do Insanity, that is fine too, of course! :) In the end, it's your decision to decide which workout program(s) are best for you. My recommendations there are to do as much as you can (take breaks when you need to... no shame in that) and measure your progress by how well YOU are improving. If you can't keep up with the people in the DVD to start, no problem... you will improve as you go.
  • usmcj80
    usmcj80 Posts: 58
    Options
    I see you are very enthusiastic about losing your weight and that is good. As for too much or too little that depends on what you feel you can maintain over the long haul. Walking your dogs for an hour every day seems maintainable since your dogs have to wlak. Throwing Insanity workouts on top of that without easing into it will probably end up making you not want to exercise because it will you will be so sore afterward. That does not mean not to do insanity I am just warning you that from what you are saying you are going from a very seditary lifestyle to a very active one at a fast pace and it could deter you from continuing on. There is no harm in easing into it and taking your time. You didn't gain your weight overnight so it won't come off over night.

Outside of exercise the biggest hting that will start to cut your weight quickly will be calorie restriction. Pick something very doable and maintable once again so you are more liekly to stay on track. I see a lot of people shoot for like 1200 Calorie diets on here and I never understand that..always seems so restirctive and fast paced. Slow and steady tends to keep your weight off and let you slowly change your lifestyle to somethign that can be maintained for years to come. Personally I would tell MFP you want to lose like 0.5 lb a week and then just eat back only 50% of whatever your exercise burns and you should lose pretty quick. Just be honest with your food logging, weigh everything out and have good friends and family to back you up and be a support group for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Depending on your fitness level, doing Insanity may be too big of a jump initially...but really, only you can determine that for yourself. It can be tempting to dive in head first, and many do...and many burn themselves out very quickly doing so.

Keep in mind that your weight loss is going to have more to do with the calorie deficit that has been created for you in your diet...I don't advise it, but you can lose weight without any exercise whatsoever just hitting your calorie goals. Your exercise is largely for fitness and overall health and well being....and it allows you to consume more while accomplishing the same goals as you otherwise would doing less and eating less.

ETA: as you establish a baseline fitness level, do not neglect resistance training for cardio, cardio, cardio....resistance training is equally important to your general fitness.
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    You can do as much exercise as you want, but if you continue old eating habits you won't get very far.

Your calorie and macro content is far more important than working out every single day, and at the weight you are currently I don't think you will be able to do that much to start off with - I weigh less than your goal weight and I certainly couldn't jump into that amount of exercise a week from nothing because my fitness levels are bad.

If I were you I would change eating habits significantly over a gradual time period and ease into exercise at the same sort of rate. Start logging now to realise how much you are eating, and cut out a couple upto a few hundred calories a week and gradually replace the bad with good. You'll come to find in time you barely miss the things you thought you couldn't live without. I was a carb freak a few months ago - bread, pasta, rice, every sort of cooked potato etc, and I would eat big servings daily. Now I haven't had any of them for a while and feel much better for it. I still treat myself every once in a while, but I certainly couldn't gorge myself on them like I used to.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    As someone who has tried and failed and tried and failed multiple times, let me just say that if you bite off more than you can chew, you're gonna choke!

No need to walk for an hour AND take aerobics classes AND do Insanity. That's a recipe for burnout. If I were you I would definitely take your dog for daily walks (20-30 minutes is enough for pooch) and then do a serious workout 2-3 times a week. Do that for 4 weeks and see how you feel.

Don't forget to take a look at your food consumption. Weight loss is about eating fewer calories, not necessarily exercising 2 hours a day.

Good luck!!
  • jessmama
    jessmama Posts: 1
    Options
    You can do this! And calorie watching will be your biggest friend! Be honest with the counting and don't get discouraged. It took me about a month to get used to the whole thing!
  • Wandering_1
    Wandering_1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea. The only thing I would worry about is burning out and then giving up. When I started a couple of months ago my starting weight was 228 and my goal was 125. For me it seemed an unattainable goal because the pounds to lose was high. I changed my goal to 175. Once I get closer I will change it to 150 and so on. Now it's not so overwhelming and seems more reachable. I have my exercise goals too but am slowly adding more as I get stronger. If you are unsure of walking as much as you say you will, cut it down and work your way up to what you want. Same with the water aerobics. Moderation is very important.

We are all different so if you know your schedule will work for you then go for it. It's a great plan!
  • teanerhig21
    teanerhig21 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    IMO you should either take insanity or water aerobics and do it for a couple weeks until your ready to up your activity. It sounds like your wanting to make a lifestyle change and if you aren't used to so much physical activity your going to burn yourself out doing it all...really quick. I have never done insanity but I hear that its insane ;) plus it is an everyday thing. Not that working out everyday is bad, but if your walking brisk every morning, doing an hour of insanity (? if I remember right) 7 days a week and trying to add a water aerobics or some other gym class on top of that 3-4 times a week... thats a lot in my opinion. Especially if your body is used to being sedentary.
    Your diet should be your main focus if your wanting to lose weight. Working out is important but (speaking from experience) you can work out everyday, that still doesnt mean your going to loose. I ran 3 miles everyday for months ... MONTHS, and couldn't understand when I wasn't loosing weight. I was eating doritos as a treat to myself after my runs! Your already taking the steps to change your life and thats something you should be super proud of. Over doing it right off the bat may have you feeling overwhelmed, which may undermine your weight loss goals. If you get your diet all lined out (MFP is a great place for that) and start off with working out an hour a day, whether its walking or insanity, you will loose weight.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    You won't know if it's "too much" until you do it. Listen to your body and do what it tells you to do. Pushing yourself is one thing, but forcing your body to do more than it can is a good way to get injured. If you've got the time to do all of this (I sure don't), then give it a shot. Just remember that weight loss is about calories in vs. calories out. Workouts are great, but whether or not you lose weight comes down to whether or not you're eating at a deficit.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I didn't catch the Insanity part. It was written as kind of an afterthought, so I didn't notice it.
    That's a lot. The guy who said it was low intensity clearly has never heard of Insanity.

I don't think walking your dog is a bad thing but make sure you're getting enough sleep to be able to walk your dog and do insanity. Sleep is vital for not over working yourself. Also about the dog walking... vets recommend not walking your dog for longer than 20 minutes at a time... so maybe tone that down a bit so you can get more sleep and help out your pooch.

Also, you'll need to be able to maintain a good diet with all that work or you could really wear yourself out.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good advice on here. I am afraid your expectations may be a little high in the exercise department, you should take it one day at a time and do activities you enjoy! If you say "Every day I am going to do this..." that is putting a lot of pressure on yourself. Calculate how many calories you can eat in one day and weigh and measure everything. Drink lots of water and Log daily!!! Bad habits develop over many years and it takes a long time to develop new habits. Open your diary and find MFP friends who have the same goals. It is a great source of encouragement. Good Luck!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making a commitment to your health! You seem to have a lot of great ideas and activities planned, and like so many others have said, it may get to be too much. If you are currently totally inactive, I think you need to pick one physical activity and commit to it for two weeks, then add in something else for another two weeks, then the final one two weeks following that. This gets you doing all of these great things, but in a realistic (and more likely to stick to it) time frame.

I also agree with the other posters who advise you to change your eating habits and reducing calories along with your new exercise programs. You should take your time with all of it, because you want to make long term changes which you can maintain.

Good Luck!