Can't eat most things or I'll get sick. I have no idea why.

Options
This feels pretty personal to me, but I really would like to reach out and ask if there is anyone that knows what this is like. Please be nice, I'm already upset over it.

There are periods of time over the past several years where it seems one day I am completely physically unable to eat certain foods. Usually it's chicken, well that's been the most common one. It's progressed into different things over time, things with certain textures, strong flavors. I love food, I mean I really love it, so having this happen is frustrating. Usually it will last between a day or so, but the longest I've gone completely being grossed out by certain foods is a couple weeks. Then one day, it will just be okay again.

This time it feels different. I'm TRYING so hard to incorporate more foods into this weird restrictive thing that my body does.
If I try to violate the rules that my body sets forth, I will gag and throw up.

I am able to eat hardboiled eggs, fruit, 1 type of sourdough bread roll (in severe moderation and it has to have a hard rubbery texture), air popped popcorn, RAW unsalted almonds, bananas, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I've been eating like this for several days now, but this is the most restrictive that I've gotten before. In the past I was still able to cook for my husband and daughter, but now I had to have fans and incense burning while they made dinner last night because I almost threw up.

Does anyone else go through this or does anyone have any ideas of why it could be happening?

Replies

• imaginaryplant
    imaginaryplant Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I mentioned it to the doctor the last time I went, but he said he had no idea, took several blood tests and couldn't pinpoint anything. I made another appt for tomorrow.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to your doctor? Because you should.

this.

it's not normal to not be able to eat without being sick.
  • imaginaryplant
    Options
    It seems like it creeped up on me. One day I was eating fairly normal and then it got less and less normal. The last time I tried to have something "normal" was a small bite of a burrito this weekend and it threw me into gagging and had to give it to someone else. Burritos are usually my favorite food.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    aw that makes me sad for you.

throwing up while eating is bad news bears.

food is delicious-not being able to have it sucks- can you try smoothies? at least drink some calories?
    Good luck tomorrow with your doctor.
  • imaginaryplant
    Options
    aw that makes me sad for you.

throwing up while eating is bad news bears.

food is delicious-not being able to have it sucks- can you try smoothies? at least drink some calories?
    Good luck tomorrow with your doctor.

Thanks JoRocka. Can't do smoothies. I started taking vitamins though. I'm wondering if this is more mental than anything else. I can have a nonfat cup of milk, haven't been able to go higher fat that that. I'm just sick of this happening as frequently as it does. I'm not even weighing myself during this because I'm totally not proud of these stupid restrictions. It feels humiliating.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I have gastroparesis which is where my stomach empties slower than it should, leaving me feeling full when I shouldn't be. And if I try to eat when that happens, I will get sick. and it's random as far as what food sets it off. So that could explain why weird foods will make you sick.

It is identified by means of a "gastric emptying study". Mine seems to be intermittent, but my sister who is a type 2 diabetic has a consistent problem with it.

Just something maybe to ask your doctor about.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to base this on, but here is a theory, it's some sort of allergy and your body is trying to protect itself thorugh the gagging unable to eat thing. You are okay in limited doses of whatever, but at some point in time your body is overwhelmed by whatever it is and reacts. The strong reaction to chicken makes me think of very severe allergy to anything in the penicillian family. My mom is so allergic to anything in that family, that she can't eat most chicken or eggs unless it antibiotic free and even then she's had too many reactions that she doesn't like to tempt fate and will generally avoid both.

The only thing I can think to help is log your food and make notes when you start reacting to something and if it starts reactions to something. You maybe able to track it down to a filler or dye or something along those lines. also, try to increase the self-made food to better control the ingrediants.

Again these are just ideas that I'm kind of making up, so take them with a grain of salt.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend seeing a different doctor, preferably a gastroenterologist. I do have a question though-- do you find yourself afraid of/agitated by/ the concept of eating foods that stray from your list? Or do they just make you barf? Because it is possible that this is psychological rather than a problem with your GI tract. Your list of "acceptable foods" are what's throwing me I guess. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this with a grain of salt.
  • thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    There's no way anyone can really possibly know what is going on with you, but it sounds a lot like being pregnant. I would get the most INTENSE food aversions during my pregnancy. If you're not pregnant, then perhaps a hormone imbalance is to blame. Any changes in your birth control? Have your doctor test your progesterone levels.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Doctors test for IgE allergies, but you can also have IgG allergies- also known as food sensitivities. They are just as serious to the person suffering from them as IgE allergies are to those requiring an EpiPen. Ask specifically if your doctor can test for IgG allergies- if he cannot go to a Naturopathic doctor.

I had daily headaches for over 2 years, nausea, tiredness, weight gain, stomache symptoms and more-- and my doctor tested for just about everything with no results. Turns out I am sensitive to: eggs, milk, wheat, yeast, honey, sugar, coffee, bananas, cranberries, mushrooms, and whole lot of other foods. The nice things about this type of allergy is that if you can avoid the foods for a long enough period it is possible to lose that sensitivity. Even if you cannot get a referral to a ND, do some research on the elimination diet.

EDIT: PS- IgG allergies are dose related too so it could be why you can tolerate some amounts and not others. If its the milk fat or other high fat foods you are reacting then ask about your gallbladder health...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Is there any chance that you're pregnant? Because randomly being unable to eat food, especially if it's based on taste, smell or texture, and the fact that the food causes it varies over time, sounds pretty much exactly like what I was like in the first trimester of both pregnancies. And this thing can last into the second trimester too.

Sometimes women can be pregnant without getting all the usual symptoms and it's even possible to have period-like bleeding (called deciduous bleeding) during pregnancy, which can be mistaken for actual periods, resulting in the person going for several months (or even full term on rare occasions) without realising they're pregnant. .......... but if you've actually missed periods then it's most likely pregnancy.... I just mentioned the deciduous bleeding thing as pregnancy can still be a possibility even when you think you haven't missed a period.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It is smells, textures, and flavors? I agree, it could be hormonal. And the fact that it seems to change from one type of thing to another. If it was an actual physical reflex problem then you would think that smells and flavors wouldn't be a factor, only texture.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend seeing a different doctor, preferably a gastroenterologist. I do have a question though-- do you find yourself afraid of/agitated by/ the concept of eating foods that stray from your list? Or do they just make you barf? Because it is possible that this is psychological rather than a problem with your GI tract. Your list of "acceptable foods" are what's throwing me I guess. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this with a grain of salt.

I am also not a medical professional, but it almost sounds like a form of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder).
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I've thrown up foods because I have an intolerance/allergy to it. This happens to me with cow's milk and peanut butter & peanuts.

Do you have a lot of stress in your life? Are you anxious about anything? I worked for an ENT doctor who had pts who had gagging/repulsion to certain food issues and he never found anything wrong with their mouths/esophagus, but they were usually either pregnant OR stressed out, or anxious about something in their life causing mental issues which exhibited themselves as gagging often to food.

But if this is your issue, you *definitely* need to see a medical professional, mental or not, you gotta talk to someone who can help you get to the bottom of this!
  • imaginaryplant
    Options
    Thank you for all of the responses. I get grossed out by the foods, which makes me vomit. I think it's probably psychological because it's not after I eat the foods, it's that I'm so sickened by the look and smell and IDEA of eating the foods.

Also not pregnant, just wanted to throw that out there.

This has to be a brain thing I'm thinking.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    My first thought was that this is mental. My friend's daughter had something similar and she ended up seeing a psychologist about it who helped her through it. If your practitioner has ruled out everything else maybe a trip to the psychologist?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    get it checked out with a doctor - some hormonal disorders can cause pregnancy symptoms in non-pregnant women, because many of the symptoms of pregnancy come from hormones (including morning sickness/food aversions). Also if you're on hormonal birth control it can be a side-effect.

Don't diagnose yourself with a psychological problem unless/until possible physical causes are ruled out.

Even if it's not hormonal, it could be a digestive system problem. The food aversions may be due to an intolerance, i.e. you eat it once, get ill because you're intolerant, then have an aversion to that food because of the bad experience.

It could be psychological, but see a doctor to rule out other things first.
  • meejay69
    meejay69 Posts: 1
    Options
    I had some digestive issues it was because I have a low tolerance for sugar, cut out sugar most of the time things went a lot better.