Help with recording recipes!

Options
I have the read the often referred to post about the recipe database and I'm still confused. EVERYTHING I type in brings up recipes with *. It's very rare I find something that doesn't have it, so then I look for confirmations....again hard to find them with multiple confirmations. How would I record something like this. I had pork baby back ribs. I weighed them before cooking them, I used a slow cooker and a package sauce (of which has nutrition info on it). Now how do I record this when serving multiple portions that aren't all the same size? Do I weigh my portion? I did do that...both with bone in and bone out, but I'm not sure which to use and how to record this?

Replies

• weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Well, weighing it is the best place to start.

Make a recipe adding the raw weight of pork, the sauce and whatever else you may have added. Then, weigh it when it's cooked and divide that final weight in to an easy to count number of portions or in to 100 gram servings. 100 gram servings is probably the easiest to do.

For example, your cooked recipe weighs 2000 grams. That would give you 20 servings.

You eat 250 grams for dinner - that's 2.5 100 gram servings. You eat 400 grams, that's 4 servings, etc.

It's a pain, but that's the most exact way to do it. In reality, pork ribs is probably one of the harder things to calculate, lol, since they vary in size.

ETA: When you are entering your recipe, check the NI for the ribs you are having and make sure you choose the entry that matches your product.