White jasmine rice good or bad for you?

Options
I decided to mix up my lunch. Instead of eating tuna and baked chips, I ate grilled chicken and white jasmine rice. Is white jasmine rice healthy for you or not I.e. Too many carbs?

Replies

• chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    jasmine rice is okay as long as it is not your only food.

I lost weight even without eliminating jasmine rice (asian, so I eat rice always)
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS eat Jasmine rice or Brown Jasmine rice. Love it! Can eat a truckload of it and want more, which is one reason why I am here. I now make enough for 1 or 2 servings and am aware of what I am eating now.
    As long as it fits your calories and macros, than go for it.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    No one food is good or bad unless you are allergic or intolerant. Jasmine rice is delicious. Eat it if you want and if it fits your macros.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    No one food is good or bad unless you are allergic or intolerant. Jasmine rice is delicious. Eat it if you want and if it fits your macros.
    Yup.

Yup!
  • slmr75
    slmr75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In terms of calories, white Jasmine rice equals brown rice. Brown rice has a lower glycemic rating than the Jasmine. (The glycemic index is a scientific tool for measuring blood sugar or glucose levels for the purpose of having better control over those levels, such as needed in diabetic diets). I like & use white Basmati rice (57) as well as brown rice (48), as it has a lower glycemic index number than Jasmine (89). I'm not diabetic. but there's a whole literature out there about our spiking sugar levels and its contribution to many health problems in the long run. There are so many hidden sugars in processed foods today it's hard to avoid them..............
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    one thing not mentioned about the gi is that the gi is only when eaten ALONE. but even rice eater asians do not eat white rice alone. it is with fish, meat and/or vegetables and that slows down the effects of high gi
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    In terms of calories, white Jasmine rice equals brown rice. Brown rice has a lower glycemic rating than the Jasmine. (The glycemic index is a scientific tool for measuring blood sugar or glucose levels for the purpose of having better control over those levels, such as needed in diabetic diets). I like & use white Basmati rice (57) as well as brown rice (48), as it has a lower glycemic index number than Jasmine (89). I'm not diabetic. but there's a whole literature out there about our spiking sugar levels and its contribution to many health problems in the long run. There are so many hidden sugars in processed foods today it's hard to avoid them..............

The glycemic index is bunk. It measures glucose levels in a fasted state (overnight fast or afternoon fast) with a carb only meal, all of which are highly unlikely in real world application. Studies show that when carbs are ingested with other macronutrients, glycemic response is blunted. Therefore, glycemic load may be more of an appropriate measure in regards to diabetic diet.

Outside of a diabetic diet, glycemic index or load has no value to weight loss. No one food is good or bad unless eaten without moderation (even excess water within a short time frame can be deadly).

"Hypocaloric diets will promote weight reduction, irrespective of dietary consumption" (Reduced Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load Diets Do Not Increase The Effects of Energy Restriction on Weight Loss and Insulin Sensitivity in Obese Men and Women; Ratz, Torkelson et al. 2005)
  • Alicewtl
    Alicewtl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Not if you cannot stop eating it! Im asian so its a staple but its too good that i keep on eating without feeling full. So i switch to brown rice the taste was blah. Nutritionally they re the same, white might be higher in vitamin (added after). Brown is higher in fiber (which you can get with veg, bean anw) but have phytochems. So its ultimately your choice of which will contribute more to your goal
  • Lcabossart19v9jq
    Options
    I logged in my 1 cup cooked brown jasmine rice from Trader Joes and it has way more calories than my whilte jasmine rice. Am I not logging it in correcty?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I logged in my 1 cup cooked brown jasmine rice from Trader Joes and it has way more calories than my whilte jasmine rice. Am I not logging it in correcty?

You'll never log it correctly if you don't weigh it before cooking. Cooked weight will always vary depending on how much water it absorbs while cooking.

But no, either way it should be similar... but again, you have to weigh it. Typically for me cooked weight is just a bit under twice the dry weight.
  • Lcabossart19v9jq
    Options
    THANKS!!!
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Jasmin rice also known as fragrant rice or Thai Hom Mali Rice. 1 Cup of cooked jasmine rice contain 200 calories, 4.2 g protein, 44.5 g carbohydrates, 2.3 mg niacin, 0.26 mg thiamine, 1.9 mg iron and 11.8 mcg selenium. It is good for health.
  • iambhachu
    iambhachu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Jasmine-Rice-Nurtition-Graph-1638x2048.png

Jasmine rice healthy enough for the human body 3 provides mighty minerals aid in forming our body’s structure and also helps in proper functioning the body’s system. Our body needs only a small amount of minerals but getting a sufficient amount is important for our overall body health.

read more :- jasmine rice nutrition
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @lx1x what say you? :)
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,326 Member
    Options
    Spammer.. 😂

Although it's good with spam and eggs. 😝
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options

Brown rice of any type has a few more calories than white...they are the same thing but white rice has had the outer fiber coating removed. Remove part of it and it removes some of the calories, too. Also that fiber that's important...but it makes it prettier and faster to cook.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Brown rice of any type has a few more calories than white...they are the same thing but white rice has had the outer fiber coating removed. Remove part of it and it removes some of the calories, too. Also that fiber that's important...but it makes it prettier and faster to cook.

I wouldn't bother. It's highly unlikely someone who had 2 posts 6 years ago is still around.