help logging pedometer

Options
I just bought a pedometer to see how much I actually move during a day so I can gradually increase over time. I looked last night but never really saw any where to log steps. How would I estimate how much time over the course of a day I spent walking to enter it as just a basic walk?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Its hard to say...

I have a Fitbit which estimates my calorie burn based on activity and syncs w/ MFP. I have my settings at Lightly Active and I seem to earn 'exercise calories' if my Fitbit activity is 10,000-12,000 steps per day. I think I've read 10,000 is a good base level to aim for.

Perhaps take your #s without changing your routines for 7 days. Then aim to add 5-10%. In a few weeks, increase again.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Unless your pedometer had you judge your stride you will have to work with averages.

Average walker walks 2000 steps per mile. You have to keep track of time walked to figure out mph.

Unless you are simply attempting to tell how far you walk in a day (eg. the 10,000 steps for health) then wearing a pedometer all day will do nothing much for you. If you wear it specifically when "exercising" and you note duration of the workout, combined with the steps, you can use the MFP cardio to determine an approximate calorie burn.

My advise, and it is just mine, not anything medical or anybody elses; do NOT eat back all the calories MFP says you can. There is too much estimation going on with all these variables. That being said, maybe you walk faster than you think, burn more calories and could get away with it. If you do, you are exceptional! :wink:

Good luck, and happy walking! That's the important part. Do it because it feels good and makes you feel great!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I use the Fitbit as a way to monitor my overall activity. Its been a good tool, so far, to keep my moving more throughout my day. I'm lazy by nature - its a work in progress to change this nature. :)

Any pedometer can be used in the same way, if you hold yourself accountable for reaching goals.
  • arheasn
    arheasn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. As I am more interested in the amount (or lack thereof) of movement in each day, for now I will just keep count of my steps and not worry about the possible calories expended.

I looked at the Fitbit, but as it is worn like a watch I decided not to get one for the simple fact that I tend to kill watches within 4 - 5 weeks of wear. I have a high electrical current apparently. :(

@dward59, I try not to eat back the calories MFP says I have earned. As you say some of the amounts seem to vary greatly and it feels to me tha tit should be used more as a guideline rather than rule. Good job on your weight loss as well. :) I am aiming to lose in that range as well so it makes me feel good to see that others have managed to do it. Gives me hope that this time it will stick with me or me with it as the case may be.
  • Canuname
    Canuname Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    arheasn said

I looked at the Fitbit, but as it is worn like a watch I decided not to get one for the simple fact that I tend to kill watches within 4 - 5 weeks of wear. I have a high electrical current apparently. :(

Actually you can get the fitbit zip or fitbit one, both of which you wear like a pedometer and not a watch. As for the flex it is a very sturdy device and is not like a watch at all.
  • arheasn
    arheasn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @Canuname, Thanks for the heads up. I will check further into the Fitbits and see if I can find one I like. I had not realized there were any that were worn like a pedometer.