Skinny fat! Please help!

Options
Hi guys!

Been using MFP for a while now. Ive recently had a workout overhaul and have introduced heavy weight lifting. Im currently at around 23% body fat so whilst I the scales tell me Im a healthy weight for my height (5'3" and 54kg) I really want to "tone up". So my question is... Do I need to be eating a calorie deficit in order to turn my unwanted fat into muscle?

New to this so any help would be much appreciated! :) x

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

Been using MFP for a while now. Ive recently had a workout overhaul and have introduced heavy weight lifting. Im currently at around 23% body fat so whilst I the scales tell me Im a healthy weight for my height (5'3" and 54kg) I really want to "tone up". So my question is... Do I need to be eating a calorie deficit in order to turn my unwanted fat into muscle?

New to this so any help would be much appreciated! :) x

I can relate to the "skinny fat" syndrome. Although different for me being a male, I had about 20 pounds of visceral fat that was easily disguised or at least not seen by others wearing my normal clothes. But it was there and here I am 18 pounds lost (a pound a week) and feel great!

At your height and weight (my wife is also 5'3" and she weighs 112 - or 50.8K), depending on your build might have 7 - 12 pounds of the skinny-fat that could be shed. Yes, running a slight caloric deficit to reach your goal would be the way to go. Combine it with weights and some cardio and it shouldn't take long at all (7-12 weeks) if you use a very attainable weekly loss of 1 pound per week. The fat is not going to "turn to muscle". Rather, you will lose the fat and the muscles you have will get toned through the training effect.

Plug your height, weight, and goal of losing 1 pound per week into the MFP profile and I would suggested choosing "sedentary" and then add your workout/exercise in manually to get your daily caloric needs to accomplish your goals. Track everything you eat with proper size/weight/portion to keep tabs, weigh yourself every morning at the same time - and have at it!!!

It's actually quite fun and not that difficult if you give it patience and stay disciplined.

The calorie deficit is like having a daily per diem budget of money. Once you've spent your daily per diem - you stop and can no longer buy anything. Same with the calories, once you've eaten your daily quota - you stop.
  • kristencali32
    kristencali32 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That my issue right now too, try a healthy diet and weight lifting. I dated a body builder for awhile when I was 18 and was in the best shape of my life I think. Now people tell me all the time how "thin" I am but I jiggle when I wiggle ya know :) back to the gym for me :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The heavy weights for exercise is great! To lose fat you want a small calorie deficit - this helps lose the fat while maintaining the muscle. You may want to custom set your macros to ensure you're getting enough protein, fat & carbs as well.

Great article on this very subject right here: http://www.livestrong.com/blog/lose-fat-without-losing-muscle/
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You can't "change fat into muscle". This is a fitness, not alchemy website. Keep eating at a small deficit while heavy lifting and you'll reduce body fat.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    You can't "change fat into muscle". This is a fitness, not alchemy website. Keep eating at a small deficit while heavy lifting and you'll reduce body fat.
    yes this:drinker:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

bingo.

I wish I could go back in time and find the first person that ever thought that fat magically turned into muscle... just so I could give them the stink-eye.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

bingo.

I wish I could go back in time and find the first person that ever thought that fat magically turned into muscle... just so I could give them the stink-eye.

Like this?
    301plc0.gif
  • ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's all about nutrition. If you have a solid nutrition plan to compliment your health goal, you can reach your goal. The key for you is to eat five meals per day, and to consume more than your daily intake of calories. You have to eat clean, however. That is the hardest part. I have helped a few people who were "skinny fat" add muscle mass and reduce body fat, and they are now at their ideal weight. I have done the same myself. When I got on my nutrition plan, I was 152 lbs., and 13% body fat. It was not good. Now, I'm at 159 lbs., and 5.4% body fat. I did this by eating, lifting, eating, eating, and more eating. I didn't get to see all of the replies, and I don't know how you feel about sports nutrition, but that will certainly help your cause. Some are better than others, however, and I used what I felt was best, that being Herbalife. Not pushing Herbalife on you or anything, but nutrition is the key for you, not just lifting. No matter how hard you train, if you don't get the right nutrition in your body, you are not going to see results.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    It's all about nutrition. If you have a solid nutrition plan to compliment your health goal, you can reach your goal. The key for you is to eat five meals per day, and to consume more than your daily intake of calories. You have to eat clean, however. That is the hardest part. I have helped a few people who were "skinny fat" add muscle mass and reduce body fat, and they are now at their ideal weight. I have done the same myself. When I got on my nutrition plan, I was 152 lbs., and 13% body fat. It was not good. Now, I'm at 159 lbs., and 5.4% body fat. I did this by eating, lifting, eating, eating, and more eating. I didn't get to see all of the replies, and I don't know how you feel about sports nutrition, but that will certainly help your cause. Some are better than others, however, and I used what I felt was best, that being Herbalife. Not pushing Herbalife on you or anything, but nutrition is the key for you, not just lifting. No matter how hard you train, if you don't get the right nutrition in your body, you are not going to see results.

What exactly does Herbalife have to do for nutrition? I'm genuinely asking. Because usually people believe that helps weight loss (it doesn't a calorie deficit does)...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

bingo.

It probably started with the inverse, that muscle turns into fat when you stop playing a sport...because look at top level football players who stop playing (ignoring the fact that they continue eating like they did when active, but completely eliminate their activity level).
  • lyndso11
    lyndso11 Posts: 6
    Options

Thanks for the science lesson. Being a Veterinarian means that I am fully aware that fat doesnt 'turn' into muscle. Forgive me for thinking that everyone on here would assume I meant lose fat and build muscle!

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys, seems like some people think I need a deficit and some people think I need to eat more! ARGH! So confusing! Anyone else have any advice?

Also, Im currently hitting the weights 3 times per week (spilt into upper, lower and then combined core/cardio days), is this enough? I have a a summer holiday coming up in 6 weeks, is this enough time to see some decent changes in body composition?

Thanks again! x
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

Thanks for the science lesson. Being a Veterinarian means that I am fully aware that fat doesnt 'turn' into muscle. Forgive me for thinking that everyone on here would assume I meant lose fat and build muscle!

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys, seems like some people think I need a deficit and some people think I need to eat more! ARGH! So confusing! Anyone else have any advice?

Also, Im currently hitting the weights 3 times per week (spilt into upper, lower and then combined core/cardio days), is this enough? I have a a summer holiday coming up in 6 weeks, is this enough time to see some decent changes in body composition?

Thanks again! x

Aside from the whacko suggesting Herbalife, everyone else says a small deficit. Think 250-500 cals below TDEE per day. However, the smaller the deficit, the more accurate your tracking is going to need to be so if you don't already have one, look into getting a food scale and weighing your food (or a measuring cup when consuming liquids). It can make a world of difference in sustaining a small deficit.

Three days a week is a good start with lifting because it will allow for adequate recovery time. If you go hard and heavy you can get a lot out of just three days a week. Continue with that along with keeping a small calorie deficit and you'll probably see some moderate amount of change in your composition in 6 weeks, a considerable amount in just 12 weeks.

And if you need more help, like with calorie goals and other good advice, check out this link: www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • kateangel2312
    kateangel2312 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think I may be skinny fat at 22%bf can't decide if I am or if I'm just fat:ohwell:
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you ladies are getting the idea that a sub-25% body fat percentage is considered skinny fat in the first place. Especially the last poster who is starting to get abs judging by her profile picture.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Thanks again! x

Aside from the whacko suggesting Herbalife, everyone else says a small deficit. Think 250-500 cals below TDEE per day. However, the smaller the deficit, the more accurate your tracking is going to need to be so if you don't already have one, look into getting a food scale and weighing your food (or a measuring cup when consuming liquids). It can make a world of difference in sustaining a small deficit.

Three days a week is a good start with lifting because it will allow for adequate recovery time. If you go hard and heavy you can get a lot out of just three days a week. Continue with that along with keeping a small calorie deficit and you'll probably see some moderate amount of change in your composition in 6 weeks, a considerable amount in just 12 weeks.

And if you need more help, like with calorie goals and other good advice, check out this link: www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

Thanks again! x

6 weeks enough time? Yes, with the 3 weight days per week you are doing (upper/lower/core), the definition will be showing in 6 weeks.

How much cardio are you doing per week (in minutes)? Taking advantage of keeping the metabolism fired up, using the other days of the week you are not lifting for cardio would help you meet that 6 week "looking great" goal.

Scooby calls it the afterburner effect...

http://scoobysworkshop.com/afterburner-effect-melts-away-fat/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you ladies are getting the idea that a sub-25% body fat percentage is considered skinny fat in the first place. Especially the last poster who is starting to get abs judging by her profile picture.

I was wondering the same thing.

20-22% is considered Athletic to fitness for women...
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I'm 5"3 and 50 kg. Nor sure of b.f.% but I think I'm skinny fat too!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Thanks again! x

how new are you to lifting? You should probably do a full body type routine three days a week ..an an upper/lower split four times a week < however, this is considered more of an intermediate to advanced type workout.

are you doing compound movements - squats, deadlifts, pull ups, chin ups, rows, overhead press, etc?

also you cannot add muscle and lose body fat at the same time. IF you are a newbie to lifting then yes you may get some newbie gains but those will taper off after a few months. i would suggest keep eating in a 15% deficit and lifting heavy and then slowly transition to maintenance, and then to a small surplus...