Recently quit smoking........

Options
Hello all-
I have recently quit smoking and feel so good about it! However, I am affraid that since I quit I will start to eat in its place! Last night is a great example........I was watching late night news and when I would have gone out for a smoke I found myself eating mindlessly. It was a PB&J so it wasn't to bad for me but I still didn't need the extra calories. It was late @ night so it's not like I would have gone out on a walk or gone to the gym, but I do not want to sabotage myself. Any thoughts?

Replies

081180 Posts: 1
    Options
    I heard of someone who went for a walk instead of smoking every time they got a craving. I won't quit for the same reason but she said it got out the nervous energy and calmed her down like a smoke usually did. On the up side she lost about 15 lbs because of all the extra exercise
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    no, i took champix...so i didn't have those evening munchies...i just didn't want to smoke...but i heard that a huge thermos of green tea works well...it keeps your mind and mouth occupied
  • randilea
    randilea Posts: 140
    Options
    I ran into the same problem when I quit smoking. I put on almost 40 lbs in a short amount of time. I found for me it was an oral fixation. Since I wasn't putting the cigarette up to my mouth I put food up to it instead. Try chewing gum or sucking on a piece sugar free candy. You can also try to do something that keeps your mind busy. Watching tv gives my mind a lot of time to wander and and think about how normally you would be having a smoke right about then. Something that can occupy the oral habit and your mind. For me it was the most difficult thing concur but once you get past the hump it gets easier all the time. Good luck to you!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    There are a few things I do to curb cravings. I would rinse with a bit of mouthwash. Not a full swig, but enough to freshen your breath. It tastes SOOO horrible when you smoke after using mouth wash. I would also do some cardio during a craving. It also helped me. :bigsmile: I hope that helped!
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    Right now....concentrate on the quitting. It is better to gain some weight than to smoke. I quit one year ago today. I waited about two months before I started concentrating on weight loss and exercise. Too hard to change your whole life at the same time. One goal at a time. Then, start slow, walk some....eat less. Trade sweet treats for vegies...smoking was a hand to mouth activity, hence the reason we eat so much after quitting. Good luck to you...feel free to message me if you need support. Always happy to help. It definitely was the best decision I have made in a long time.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I know a few people would suck on a mint or tic tac when they'd get cravings. Or they would chew a piece of gum.
  • luckyinlife
    luckyinlife Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism DOES change but it's worth it! I am 4 yrs quit and just now working on the weight. SO happy to breathe and not feel like a criminal anymore!
  • cuddlegrl
    cuddlegrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I quit 2 1/2 years ago. It took me about 3 months before I went a day without a craving and I am not going to lie I still get them from time to time now- especially during really stressful situations.

For me the problem was 2 fold. I had an oral fixation (people who eat a lot, smoke, talk a lot have oral fixations and its all in the psych) and it was routine.

To combat the oral fixation mints helped me. I still do mints a lot and people think I am crazy but I dont care. The stronger the mint the more it supresses the urge.

Routine: I realized this pretty quick. After I had quit I was walking to my car at work and as I crossed the bridge to the deck I started thinking I couldnt wait to get to the car for a smoke. Then I said "wait I dont smoke anymore!" It was a habit to light up as soon as I got in the car. I also realized it after my husband and I got home from going out to eat one night. The routine was come home, sit down on the couch and light up. (he doesnt smoke so I couldnt smoke until we got home). It was during these situations when I had the strongest urges.

To combat the routine: I broke it up. I walked a different way to work and didnt sit down as soon as I got home. I would do dishes or sweep or dust or clean off the table. Some small thing to break the routine. It didnt need to be big just something different then normal.

I was not to worried about gaining weight since I was already gaining. I was also not interested in lossing at the time and I did not replace smoking with exercise. I wouldnt recommend it either. To most smokers smoking is enjoyable and relaxing. To most people who are starting to workout exercise is not enjoyable or relaxing. It is hard work- and cardio is really hard on smokers.

It was my 3 month mark when I started to feel somewhat normal without the smokes. Everyone is different and this is what worked for me. I hope you can take the advice from this forum and apply it to you and make it work for you. Feel free to message me for support :)
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    This is the second time I have quit using Champix.... it does stop the cravings but you gotta be careful with the whole hand to mouth thing as mentioned above...

The first time i quit it was for 9 months... then i started having a smoke "socially" and then i ended up a full blown pack a day smoker again... just lower milligrams which doesn't really make much difference... still bad for you...

I can now breathe so much easier and yes i may have put on a few kilos... but i am sooo not regretting it!!! Plus I wanna have kidlets one day and did not wanna be a smoking mum!! I wanna be able to go bike riding with my Fiancé and keep up with kids when i have them....

Gum is awesome and so is going for a walk... Just what ever you do.... DONT TRY THEM AGAIN... even if you really really want one!!! Because it only takes one to get you hooked again!!!!

PS if you find your really grumpy and moody try taking Vitamin B(12) OR St Johns wort!! I got majorly depressed and these helped me out ALOT!! =)

Good luck and keep up the Fantastic work!!! =)
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Congrats on Quitting Everyone!!!! :flowerforyou:
    It was my 3 month mark when I started to feel somewhat normal without the smokes. Everyone is different and this is what worked for me. I hope you can take the advice from this forum and apply it to you and make it work for you. Feel free to message me for support :)

I spoke to my doctor and he said the Nicotine is out of our bloodstream in 2-3 days, but its the oral fixation / habit which is in our Subconscious which takes approx 3-4 Months to break!!! How crazy is that!!! :drinker:
  • IAmDanMarshall
    IAmDanMarshall Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yay congratulations! Tomorrow is 6 months of no smokes for me, quit a 10 year pack a day habit.

As far as gaining weight, I think that in the long term you are doing the best thing by quitting smoking. You may gain a bit of weight temporarily, but you can always lose that weight by using awesome tools like My Fitness Pal! Then in the end you'll have lost the weight AND won't be a smoker.

You should be really proud of yourself... quitting smoking is one of the hardest things I've ever done! Congrats again!
  • kkochend
    Options
    First of all, congratulations! You have done something that it is very hard to do.

I recently quit smoking cold turkey. Orbit Spearmint Gum, walking and believe it or not, water helped me. If I thought I wanted to eat as a replacement I would drink a glass of water to help me feel full and chew gum. It was cheaper and low calorie (10 calories a piece). I would relieve the wanting of stress smoking by walking at work. Still taking those 15 minute breaks but walking or taking the stairs! If I wanted one after a meal I found that Kosher Dill Pickles (also 10 calories) really satisfied me and helped with digestion as well as an after dinner walk. Also not eating till full on bloat helped me no longer crave the after dinner smoke.

Another suggestion for not smoking is to avoid hanging out with friends who smoke for 2 weeks. I did this and it was hard not to see friends, but after 2 weeks of not smelling smoke I no longer craved it when i was around them. In fact it smells so bad now that I am amazed I smoked for 15 yrs, at least 1 pack a day.

Keep up the great work!
  • PuppyBandit
    Options
    It's easy to gain when you quit smoking. I lollypopped (and other things) and gained about 40 pounds in a year when I quit.

The thing that helped me the most after I let go of the lollypops were those "curiously strong breath mints" called Altoids. They are very strong and when I breath after chewing one, you can feel it in your chest like smoking. Only it's fresh and not yukky smoke :)

Good luck with staying quit, its the hardest thing I EVER did but once you quit for good, you will be so happy and proud!

(Edited typos)