Sauna...Naked Or Clothed?

Options
barracudamuscle
barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
Hahaha Now I got your dirty mind in here I have a question!

I just tried out the sauna at my gym the yesterday and today. Yesterday no one was there (Sunday night) and I got in with my gym clothes on after a long work out. It was so uncomfortable and ending up making me wash them right away due to the combined sweat from working out and the sauna.

Fast Forward to today....I jumped in there again all by myself naked besides a towel wrapped around my lower torso. Well My luck 3 other guys happened to come in shortly after each other all wearing gym clothes! I got kinda a weird look from 2 of them.

Perhaps I've been desensitized and don't care who's naked around me and who see's my fat *kitten* naked from all my time on business overseas.

So what say you? Is it frowned upon to be naked besides a towel? By the way no signage or anything to give guidance on this.

I figure there's more meat in there walking around changing or walking from the showers than a Johnsonville bratwurst festival whats a couple more in the sauna.

Replies

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    My gym has a sauna and they specify that we need to wear clothes in it :sad:
    I think you should ask your gym if they have any standards on the issue. If not, I say go naked! Life is too short to wear clothing when it isn't required!
  • barracudamuscle
    Options
    Haha, clothes... just another way for the man to keep ya down! Maybe later I'll go streaking down at the quad! (Old School Reference)
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Naked for sure! If the facility wanted you to keep your clothes on there would be a huge sign saying so. Saunas and hot tubs are so much more comfortable without clothes. Birthday suit baby!!!!
  • pamestla
    pamestla Posts: 2
    Options
    I think it is weird to wear gym clothes in the sauna ;)
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Or...........you could do what my kids did...........they were talking about this very same subject last year, so for Christmas .......I made them "Robels"............yup, that's MY name for it........it's a cross between a robe (sleeveless) and a towel (It's made with the lightest possible terry cloth), and it wraps around you like a hospital robe (3 arms), It also has ties and pockets, and is the size of a bath sheet (to the knees). It's the best of both worlds because nobody can say you ain't clothed, but it can be tossed in the wash with the other sheets and towels. I found the vintage pattern on Ebay (for a wrap dress) and I had a whole bolt of terry cloth, so it worked out good (and still has, as far as I know.) Good luck!
  • barracudamuscle
    Options
    Well at least I can rest assured I wasn't that creepy guy haha. Nobody want's to be that guy! I guess I'll do it till I get yelled at.

I didn't want to ask the girl at the front desk as that seems like an awkward conversation, if there was a male there maybe.
  • hnewman24
    hnewman24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Definitely naked!! :)
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Definitely naked. But I have my own. so it's moot.
  • HughJerektion
    Options
    I usually hit the pool first, then hit the sauna. The norm here is to just wear shorts/ no shirt / sandals in the sauna.

Women wear bikinis.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    OH GOD CLOTHED.
    All the freaks that go in there trying to start conversation..
  • barracudamuscle
    Options
    I guess I should have also clarified that the sauna at my gym is in the men's locker room so male only. Seemed obvious but looking back they could be quite awkward! :)
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Its a public sauna, for the love of God, wear SOMETHING
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    definitely only wear towel and preferaby solo :D
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    definitely only wear towel and preferaby solo :D

I clicked on this topic solely to see what alex wears in a sauna
  • nomad1966
    nomad1966 Posts: 74
    Options
    Naked....comando.... Wearing naught but what I was born wearing.
    To many years going to the Caracalla in Baden Baden I guess. Lol
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I always go naked in a sauna. It's more comfortable and totally relaxing that way. Plus it boosts your confidence if you keep it up!

Go naked unless the man tells you no! BE FREE!
  • barracudamuscle
    Options
    old-school-streaking-o.gif
  • CleverClone
    CleverClone Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    As a Finnish person who has spent a good deal of her life in a sauna I can say with confidence that the answer is naked. Always naked (also a good rule of thumb for non-sauna related situations)! :bigsmile:
    (I'm appalled someone would even consider wearing clothes (let alone a gym requiring you to do so) to a sauna, I'm pretty sure that's blasphemy of some kind. :indifferent: )
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    As a Finnish person who has spent a good deal of her life in a sauna I can say with confidence that the answer is naked. Always naked (also a good rule of thumb for non-sauna related situations)! :bigsmile:
    (I'm appalled someone would even consider wearing clothes (let alone a gym requiring you to do so) to a sauna, I'm pretty sure that's blasphemy of some kind. :indifferent: )
    Some things are better left unseen.
  • tombetlej
    tombetlej Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Preferably naked, but at most a towel if that's the culture at your gym.

Wearing sweaty gym clothes in a sauna or steam room is just gross.