Is eating 1000 calories a day to low?

Options
I'm 138 pound 5'3 female and I thought eating this caloric intake along with daily exercise would speed up my weight loss. Is this unhealthy?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Too low.

Slashing cals too low leads to all sorts of problems. You may lose some weight at first, but you're saying goodbye to lean muscle along with fat. Eventually you'll stall out, become grumpy, lack of energy, some report hair loss, brittle nails, screwed up metabolsim & hormones...fun fun! NOT.

Food is fuel. Don't sell yourself short by trying to create some huge deficit to lose faster. Your daily MFP goal already has you at a deficit - eat all your cals, do zero exercise and you'll lose weight. If you exercise, log it and eat back at least a good portion of those cals, bringing your daily net cals at or near goal. You'll still be in a calorie deficit and lose, and be well fueled for daily activities and workouts. And you'll lose the fat while hanging onto the lean muscle, which is what you want.

Why eat drastically low cals when you can eat more and still lose?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    And so is trying to burn 800 calories per day to lose eight pounds for a concert in three weeks. (your other thread)

You are setting yourself up for failure.
    Set reasonable goals.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I'm 138 pound 5'3 female and I thought eating this caloric intake along with daily exercise would speed up my weight loss. Is this unhealthy?

YES, eat more.

Rigger
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Don't be foolish. 1200 is the MINIMUM amount of calories for a chick. Even that is too low IMO. Eat more and be patient.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    ** too

you should go TO the store and buy more food because you are eating TOO little
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    YES, it is too low, YES it is extremely unhealthy, if you can even keep up with it long term. (Most people can't.)

Find your TDEE, and eat 10-20% less than that number.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Do you even MFP?
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    It is too low and could cause your weight loss to be slow, actually. And it's not sustainable.
  • cmoncmonshake
    cmoncmonshake Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to listen to your body and eat when you're hungry, and until you're comfortable. There are days when I am a bit below my calorie goal, and I don't think that's an absolute terrible thing, as long as I'm eating healthy and I am no longer hungry.

I don't recommend doing 1000/day in the long term, everyday, however. In many ways, even though it's a bigger deficit, it doesn't help you lose more weight than eating 1200/1300 does - and if you're not taking care of yourself and eating enough, your body will work against you. Eat to your body's content!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    The fact that you asked this question means that you already know the answer.

Yes, its too low. Its not sustainable.

Set a moderate deficit, weigh your foods, shake your booty several times a week and be patient.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    eat more.