A healthy body starts with a healthy mind

Options
Ok, I just want to start off by saying I am in no means “skinny” nor do I really need to lose weight but I DO know what it is like to have the un-healthy mindset that I am overweight or not good enough. I have had many failed attempts to diet and even went as far as to not eat solid food for three weeks and do you know what that did for me? It caused me to feel miserable, lethargic and I even passed out in public, not to mention the embarrassment of having a school official drive me home so she could have a little “talk” with my parents. The fainting episode was many years ago as I was in high school but the notion I am not thin enough has lingered in my subconscious for many years after.

I am writing this in the sincere hope my words can offer even the smallest measure of comfort, if not more, to some of you who are frustrated with the weight loss process and are dealing with a negative self image. Let me stress this point, “The grass is not always greener on the other side” Being thin doesn’t always mean you are happy or even healthy. A healthy body starts with a healthy mindset. If you are not in the correct frame of mind or if your intentions are strictly to improve your outer appearance you will never truly reach your potential because you will always have that negative thought pattern. Sure you may look great on the surface, people tell me I have a “cute little figure”, but unless you clear the negative clutter in your mind your fitness plan will consist of not only battling food choices but also trying to stifle the negative demon that resonates deep within. Over the past few years I have lost weight and even though I received positive feedback based on the changes to my figure, what people didn’t know was the greatest war I still had not won was the war within myself. The mind is a powerful tool and in my opinion even more powerful then the treadmill I often accredit to my new weight. Take it from a girl who has told herself every self damaging word in the book. Unless you can look at yourself in the mirror, yes the mirror, and tell yourself you are worth it and beautiful just the way you are then be prepared to take many detours along the fitness journey. Getting your mind right is not an option it’s a requirement. How many of you have been told “ you look great” and you say “ I still have a long way to go” or you shrug it off thinking someone is just making a lame attempt at being nice? A healthy lifestyle is very important and for many people that does require some weight to come off however we are not defined by the number on the scale. What makes us truly beautiful is the ability to love ourselves. You create what you think so if you believe you will never lose the weight, get fit, whatever the goal, then that is exactly the action that will sabotage your plan You will continue to feel frustrated because you feel you are doing every thing the way you should but what you don't realize is your negative thought pattern is also hindering your success. Been there, done that and now I’m writing the blog on it :happy:

So how do you get the mind ready and healthy? It is different for everyone but I had to literally look myself in the mirror and tell myself I am worth it and that I can do anything I set my, you guessed it,,,, MIND to! The reason looking in the mirror is so powerful is because it really seals the words in. When you tell yourself something positive and encouraging ( even if you don't initially believe it) your whole energy inside changes. Start by saying something negative ( only once though!) and feel every sensation then reverse it by saying a positive affirmation and you will feel a much different sensation within. Repeat the positive phrases as often as needed until you truly believe your own words. It is difficult at first, just like any new behaviour ,but by joining this website you have already demonstrated a desire to be healthy so this is just another important tool to utilize in order to be the healthy and fit person you know you can be! I have learned that by changing my self- talk I have been able to make wiser lifestyle choices because now I finally believe I am worth it.
And so are you!!!

So… what wonderful thing will you tell yourself today?.......

Replies

• redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Wow. Very powerful blog. And so true....
    thanks for sharing. :flowerforyou:
  • Jess1313
    Options
    Very well written and really inspiring. I can relate to this in so many ways and you put it so perfectly into words. The mind is so incredibly powerful and it makes or breaks us in so many ways. I've looked in the mirror countless times and felt disgusted and received compliments and instead of saying, "thank you", I turn it into a negative. I definitely have a way to go, when you spend so long thinking a certain way, it can be hard to change. But I found your writing so inspiring:) Thank you!