Pace or distance? Which would you improve on first?

Options
Would you work on running faster or farther first? Why?

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    My pace increased as my distance increased....went from a 12+ easy pace to an 11:45 easy pace all by increasing distance.

ETA: And from 11+ race pace to a 9:30 race pace in a year.
  • coconuttjd
    Options
    Would you work on running faster or farther first? Why?

I used to run cross country and I am trying to get back into shape to run long distance again, among lots of other reasons - like health. Stopped running and gained weight after a back injury.

So... I have some experience with running and you should mix it up with both. Our training regimen back in the day had days where we trained for distance and other days where we trained for speed. Gradually both will improve. The key is always to stretch and be cautious and avoid injuring yourself. Nothing sets you back like an injury.
  • KatVarley
    KatVarley Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Distance first - a faster pace will come naturally with the ability to go the distance.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Ditto what others said. Work on increasing your distance, you'll get faster the more miles you run over time. Introducing speed work before you have a solid year of running under your belt opens you up for injury as you're body isn't ready for the additional strain just yet (muscles, tendons, ligaments, etc., it takes awhile for them to get in good enough running shape to put the stress of speed work on them). You could always add a "quick finish" to your runs where you pick up the pace for the last quarter mile or so, but that's all the more I'd do right now.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Distance for myself... it depends on the goal. If you want to run sprints, then obviously speed is most important. If you're wanting to run 5ks or a marathon, then work on distance. My first time couldn't even be labelled "running" as I was mostly trotting/ slow jogging. Start slow. Whatever your goal ultimately is, work up to it slowly.

For me, I want to run my first 5k, so I am working on continually reaching that distance. As I have continued to train these last few weeks, I have noticed my pace and endurance has increased slightly as well.
  • monbot
    monbot Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I worked on a distance goal - first one was 5km. Once I hit that, I set a pace goal, of under 30 mins. Then I set a new distance goal of 10 km... etc. Worked for me!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    pace distance means nothing if you can finish it. i learned the hard way I have to pace myself for the first 5K of a 10K and open up on the second half of the 10K. made world of difference no stopping to walk no feeling tired.