Extreme Red Face from Running

Options
Does anyone get so extremely red and/or have any idea how to minimize this side-effect of a hard workout? I have fair skin, so I blush easily anyway... but this is so much - I never see anyone as red as me in the gym.

Replies

• kmkgurl
    kmkgurl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I feel the same exact way. lol its kind of embarrassing. I wonder what other people have to say to this cause I don't really know how to avoid it, but I don't think you can.
  • hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    wet towel! take ur work out towel and wet half... that way when ur running it cools u down... sometimes i even put it on the back of my neck... but i take it as a throphy... u worked out hard being red means u pushed urself... u should be proud of it... who cares what others think...
  • tl_dr
    tl_dr Posts: 96
    Options
    I think it's genetic, at least for me. :( Even when I was a scrawny little kid, my face always flushed if I ran or got hot. I have a lot of friends that are in good shape but still turn red when they work out. I don't know if there's much you can do about it.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It's genetic. I stay red for about 30 minutes after a really hard workout. If I work out with friends I usually warn them that I am going to look like I am dying and in fact I am fine.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Genetic. judging from your pic, we have similar skin types - it happens to me too.

Just have to suck it up, I suspect. :(
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have been asked by a trainer if I was holding my breath during exercise. I am also often asked if I am ok. Not only do I turn really red, I sweat a ton too. I've just learned to embrace it, maybe crack a joke or two if I am around someone I know.
    I am also very fair and blush easily. I do not believe there is anything you can do to stop it. I will wear a powder foundation to the gym to try to balance it a little. For running, forget it, I sweat it off (I will pack some to apply after the race though).

ETA - I also stay red for awhile afterwards too.
  • Jesygfbaker
    Options
    In the same boat! I flush easily at any time, but esp working out. I've heard it's a histamine reaction taking place in overactive MAST cells of the skin. I would guess that a histamine blocker would help, but who knows how that may affect your energy! Red wine does it to me like crazy!
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same - any kind of exertion and I'm beet red for a LONG time afterwards. It has happened since PE class in school. I also go severely red when I drink alcohol, or get embarrassed (e.g if more than one person looks at me). I don't know how to stop it happening, but I am starting to stop caring. Yes, I come out of the gym with a red face - I worked hard! Then I stay inside and drink water until I'm not as red any more lol.
  • KatVarley
    KatVarley Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys... nice not to feel so different from others :blushing:
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I turn pink. But when i get a good cry on, my face flushes really hard. I splash cold water over my face 10 mins, and no only does that calm me down it get s the red out.

Yes I know crying and a good work out are not the same thing, but cool water may still help in this situation.
  • nurssassy
    nurssassy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    OMG me too! It's not uncommon for the cart of shame to pull up during a race and ask if I need a ride :blushing: