what is helping me

Options
Hi everyone,

I have started back on my journey after stalling for a while. I started by really looking at what I need as an individual and what tends to work for me.

I need and like hard and fast rules that I have to obey. These rules have worked really well for me and my personality style.

-I have to work out everyday that I'm at home or in the studio. If I'm out for the day and can't that's ok. (i work from home in a studio so it works well) I do 30mins of intense (for me at the moment) exercise at the local park.

-I can't eat after dinner no matter what. I have a cup of tea then brush my teeth and put in my retainer:)
I did a lot of after dinner eating alone, bowls of cereal, chocolate, biscuits.......

-I log everything I eat

what are your rules that you make yourself live by that work for you?

Replies

• lyoill
    lyoill Posts: 59
    Options
    bump. I'm really interested if you have any??
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Here is my current program:

- Do something active every day
    - Elliptical 6 days/week
    - Strength training 2 days/week
    - Circuit training 2 days/week
    - Eat within calorie goals

It really comes down to eating within my calorie goal.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    My personal rules:

- Nothing is off limits. Life is going to throw a lot of delicious things your way, and learning moderation is key.
    - Food is fuel. Don't label things as "junk" or "bad". If they fit into your macros, they are fuel.
    - Stay on your feet. I walk to work, then walk home for my break, then walk back to work, then walk home after. I can easily get in a 20-30 minute walk daily by using my feet to travel, rather than my car.
    - Don't live by the scale. Sure, I love seeing a drop on the scale, but I've noticed good changes with my body as well. I try not to focus on that number, but rather the changes I am seeing with my body, and the changes I am feeling with it.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I have no hard and fast rules. The problem with having 'You must do this rules' is when you don't do them it can make matters worse. The only thing I go by is 'Do the best you can' if you do that you can't go far wrong.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Only rule I have is never eat food I don't like.. and log it all

Everything else is subject to change and do what I can to be better than I was yesterday.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

Everything else is subject to change and do what I can to be better than I was yesterday.

That's my rule too! An fit woman in her 80's once told me (when I asked her her secret): "I never put anything in my mouth that isn't delicious." It has really helped me over the years; where I used to eat things like Chips Ahoy in large quantities, those just aren't delicious to me. Homemade chocolate chip cookies ARE delicious, so I have no problem using calories for some if the occasion comes up.
  • lyoill
    Options

That's my rule too! An fit woman in her 80's once told me (when I asked her her secret): "I never put anything in my mouth that isn't delicious." It has really helped me over the years; where I used to eat things like Chips Ahoy in large quantities, those just aren't delicious to me. Homemade chocolate chip cookies ARE delicious, so I have no problem using calories for some if the occasion comes up.

I love that rule! think I may have to adopt it too.
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Im keeping it simple, Im doing tdee - 20%. If I want to eat more i will work out more. Ive definitely over complicated things which is why ive been at the same weight for months. I finally see the scale going down!
  • lyoill
    Options
    Im keeping it simple, Im doing tdee - 20%. If I want to eat more i will work out more. Ive definitely over complicated things which is why ive been at the same weight for months. I finally see the scale going down!

This is me...
    I had the same 3 kilos or so lost and gained. My aim is to loose the 11 kilos that have sat with me for years! I have been kind of maintaining this weight and didn't have the head space to do anything for the last 5 years.

I started by trying to address why I eat a lot and when and why I don't exercise. I bought Michelle bridges book a few weeks back and read it. This got me asking these questions of myself.

I eat well all day, bar the muffin with the coffee :) then when everyone goes to bed I eat a lot. Bowls of cereal and chocolate...
    Making the decision not to eat after dinner at all saves me 100s of calories! Restrictive no, a good habit for me to embrace? yes!