way iv been eating healthy?!

Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Metabolism doesn't stop overnight so there is no need to wake it up.
    Short periods of fasting do no metabolic damage, the science is very clear on that.

I mostly eat breakfast because I enjoy it but I can easily skip it and suffer no ill effects on energy levels or gym performance. It is personal preference
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You DO NEED breakfast. there is plenty of research that says you do. that's why its called the most important meal of the day. its called breakfast for a reason. Skipping breakfast damages metabolism. Even if you have a power bar. smoothie, shake or fruit on the way out the door is great. Breakfast is important for fueling your body at the start of the day. People who eat breakfast weigh 30 to 40% less than those who don't. Also people who eat breakfast are much less likely to binge later in the day

No! Checks my ticker below ... I believe my metabolism is fine and skipping breakfast hasn't slowed down anything. It's called breakfast because you BREAK the FAST, so I wake up at 3:30 am and eat my first meal typically around 1 or 2 in the afternoon that's when I break my fast or have what you call breakfast.

It's called the most important meal of the day because it was a great marketing campaign done by cereal companies. Do your homework as long as you are getting your daily nutrition and calories in for the day when you get them is all about preference.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast is no good... fuel yourself!

Even if its a smoothie (made the night before) you definitely need breakfast
    Actually there is no science to back this up except for in children.

I personally eat breakfast but that is because I have time and I am starved.

To the OP plan and prepare...if you are hungry get portable snacks/meals to take with you. If you aren't hungry ensure you get your calories in at some point in the day.

I just believe not having any food from waking up until lunch is a little silly, no science. Usually my "breakfast" is a shake but in my opinion, some form of food/smoothie/shake should be consumed just to get wake your metabolism & stomach up for the day.

Your metabolism doesn't go to sleep so no need to wake it up. Please do your research
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast is one thing, but skipping breakfast AND lunch is another. You're eating one meal a day with a few very low calorie snacks thrown in. How many calories does your dinner usually consist of? If it's less than 1200 calories (and preferably more), then you're not eating enough. No bueno. Do you just stuff your face with whatever is in sight once you walk into your house, because I sure would if I hadn't eaten a meal all day. Food isn't bad - try it, trust me.

I eat a post-working protein shake, then breakfast, then lunch, then my afternoon snack, then dinner. Make time to put food in your body. Excuses don't cut it. Eating breakfast before you leave for work or even on your way to work takes essentially no time. Throwing something, ANYTHING, in your bag to eat mid-day takes essentially no time. Do you have time to work out? If so, you also have time to eat.

Your profile mentions that you have a trainer. If you're working out, you need to be eating more often. I'd probably pass the hell out if I tried to go 23ish hours without eating and then tried to exercise. How does your trainer feel about you only eating one meal a day?
  • HJO1403
    HJO1403 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

To the OP plan and prepare...if you are hungry get portable snacks/meals to take with you. If you aren't hungry ensure you get your calories in at some point in the day.

I just believe not having any food from waking up until lunch is a little silly, no science. Usually my "breakfast" is a shake but in my opinion, some form of food/smoothie/shake should be consumed just to get wake your metabolism & stomach up for the day.

Your metabolism doesn't go to sleep so no need to wake it up. Please do your research

I don't mean it stops, just get it going a little more - a figure of speech - Not claiming to have done any research as I said its my opinion
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

I've done that. You just shake it up real well before you drink it.
  • ValGogo
    Options

I don't mean it stops, just get it going a little more - a figure of speech - Not claiming to have done any research as I said its my opinion

OMG, this is what is really irritating....I try really hard to stay out of the silly arguments but....

Why does there have to be science and research involved in telling someone to eat breakfast? where is the science and "research" that says "not eating breakfast" is NOT bad for you.

Jesus, he's just telling her to eat something in the morning because she may be hungry later and MAYBE that's not a good idea since, as people who are on a FITNESS website that promotes HEALTHY lifestyle and eating and losing weight, she may be prone to grabbing someing that is not necessarily healthy cuz she's effing hungry. AND he's being really polite about it too (hint hint!)

Lord have mercy and save me from the one-uppers.

Sorry HJO I didn't mean to jump all into your Kool Aid.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    What exactly is your question?

You skip breakfast AND lunch. .ok..so? What are you asking? If you're hungry then eat..grab a protein bar or something.

That's what I was wondering....
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options

OMG, this is what is really irritating....I try really hard to stay out of the silly arguments but....

Why does there have to be science and research involved in telling someone to eat breakfast? where is the science and "research" that says "not eating breakfast" is NOT bad for you.

Jesus, he's just telling her to eat something in the morning because she may be hungry later and MAYBE that's not a good idea since, as people who are on a FITNESS website that promotes HEALTHY lifestyle and eating and losing weight, she may be prone to grabbing someing that is not necessarily healthy cuz she's effing hungry. AND he's being really polite about it too (hint hint!)

Lord have mercy and save me from the one-uppers.

Sorry HJO I didn't mean to jump all into your Kool Aid.

The way I read the bit you quoted was that one person said you must eat breakfast, someone else said that's not true you don't have to, and the first guy said well in my opinion it's a good idea. Didn't sound like a silly argument to me.

The OP didn't say she was hungry or eating badly so I don't think there's evidence that not eating breakfast is doing her any harm. If not eating breakfast led to hunger, and eating badly then it's a good suggestion to grab a protein bar or smoothie or something quick and simple. If people say that she MUST eat breakfast to get her metabolism going etc. then I think it's right for someone else to point out that this isn't true - and that not everyone has to eat breakfast.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    The way I read the bit you quoted was that one person said you must eat breakfast, someone else said that's not true you don't have to, and the first guy said well in my opinion it's a good idea. Didn't sound like a silly argument to me.

The OP didn't say she was hungry or eating badly so I don't think there's evidence that not eating breakfast is doing her any harm. If not eating breakfast led to hunger, and eating badly then it's a good suggestion to grab a protein bar or smoothie or something quick and simple. If people say that she MUST eat breakfast to get her metabolism going etc. then I think it's right for someone else to point out that this isn't true - and that not everyone has to eat breakfast.

So the question remains: what is the OP even asking?
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options

So the question remains: what is the OP even asking?

Oh, I agree, I don't know what the question was, but then that's not rare for either MFP forums or my brain.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You DO NEED breakfast. there is plenty of research that says you do. that's why its called the most important meal of the day. its called breakfast for a reason. Skipping breakfast damages metabolism. Even if you have a power bar. smoothie, shake or fruit on the way out the door is great. Breakfast is important for fueling your body at the start of the day. People who eat breakfast weigh 30 to 40% less than those who don't. Also people who eat breakfast are much less likely to binge later in the day

Wait so skipping breakfast slows your metabolism but eating 400 calories per day is fine? Sure. Makes perfect sense.