circuit training or Strength training?

Options
I am doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. However, in her book she requests that you do the 5 circuits of exercises as fast as you can twice through...

Since I am not trying to lose weight, only trying to gain muscle and stay fit, I usually do....
1) cardio for 30 min first then....
2) the circuit ONCE w/heavy weights & not as fast as I can, but no rest between the exercises either.....

would this be considered circuit training still or just plain old strength/lifting weights???

Calorie burn is completely different that is why i would love to know what you guys think! THanks :)

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    are you lifting to technical failure? I.E. at the end of each routine, could you do more if you really wanted to? If you can, then you're probably more in the circuit training arena.
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have the same question when I do p90x weight lifting routines because the movements don't have reast between...especially in the Legs & Back workout....Althought I have been loggin them as Weight liftin/ weight training because I don't want to overestimate my calorie goal....
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    :happy: Some of the exercises I do until muscle failure (because that's what the instructions are to do) and some I just do how many the circuit says to do but I make sure I use 70-80% of my maximum amount of weight I am able to lift.

Example: Circuit 1

Hammer curls
    20 reps
    Mid underhand grip Lat Paulldown
    until Muscle failure
    Crunches
    25 on body ball

Etc...etc...etc...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    :happy: Some of the exercises I do until muscle failure (because that's what the instructions are to do) and some I just do how many the circuit says to do but I make sure I use 70-80% of my maximum amount of weight I am able to lift.

Example: Circuit 1

Hammer curls
    20 reps
    Mid underhand grip Lat Paulldown
    until Muscle failure
    Crunches
    25 on body ball

Etc...etc...etc...

At that number of reps, you are doing more circuit training. I'm not sure you an do anything else using exercises in 30DS.

It's important to have clear goals for your lifting routine and then follow the appropriate protocol. For example, if you are lifting in a medium/heavy 6-8RM range, the rest interval should be 2-3 minutes between sets. For a 3-5RM intensity, recovery should be closer to 4 min. That time is necessary to replenish fuel stores.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I would say you're doing circuit training as opposed to weight lifting because you have a set amount that you're doing. You do have a weight lifting element to it when you're pumping out as many reps as you can after finishing a circuit, but because the mentality is to do a set amount of reps per exercise, my guess would be circuit training. My trainer guides me through a routine that sounds similar. For instance, one circuit called for leg curls, lat pulldowns, and planks then repeat (doing 2 sets), but she may have me do as many lat pulldowns as I can after completing the second set.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Definately more circuit training at those reps... I'm totally pimping a site right now and I hate it when people do that but... check out www.nerdfitness.com if you're looking to build muscle and get stronger and more fit. His most recent blog was all about it and he's got some AWESOME ideas and routines. :drinker:
  • lordofultima
    Options
    A little of both are important to bust plateaus, to build in mass and tone. low rep at high weight are great, and high rep burn sets at lower weight, I like to alternate every couple of weeks on my muscle groups just to keep things interesting.
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks MFP friends :flowerforyou: This is why I love you all and this site!