Crisp-Free May!

Options
Crisps are my most massive downfall. I can eat any amount, and they never come close to filling me up. It's like eating air. If there's a bag open, they get demolished, and I have no threshold for stopping - just when they're gone. I've come to the conclusion that if I can't have them in moderation, I just can't have them, and this is where Crisp-Free May comes in! 31 days, cold turkey. I think it's a winner of a plan....

Replies

• freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Actually that sounds like a really good idea! I'm going for a snack-free May... I want to break the hand-to-mouth habit of constantly putting food in my mouth when I'm not even hungry- especially calorie dense stuff like crisps or chocolate!

I think I'll join you!
  • novembersuse
    novembersuse Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Cool :)

It's GOT to make a difference. I'm trying to break snacking too. I need to re-train myself to watch TV or sit through a movie without a bag of something...!
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I went 4 weeks without eating candy - I have a MAJOR sweet tooth. I seem to be able to eat chocolate in moderation, but not candy. Anyway, I had some Starburst after 4 weeks and didn't care for it much. I think going cold turkey was the best thing I've done, so your idea of going crisp-free is brilliant! Good luck!!
  • novembersuse
    Options
    Really? That's encouraging! I'd love to get to the end of it and not be fussed about crisps, that's the dream.... Thanks!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    what's your favourite type of crisps? and how often do you eat them?

if you ate one 25g packet of walkers salt and vinegar (130 Cal) per day
    then not eating those 31 packets during may - you would be saving:
    31*130=4030

at 3500 deficit per lb of weight lost - this could help you lose 1.15lb during may :flowerforyou: (YMMV)

but long term, i'm not an advocate of avoiding any one type of food, as i find it tends to drive me to biinges, i prefer to log everything and make myself accountable, i find it helps me meake better choices
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Oh.. Potato chips lol.
    Now I want some.
  • novembersuse
    Options
    Nice maths! It's more a jumbo pack on a Friday or* Saturday night. You know when you open the bag and shake a few into a bowl to go with a drink, then fast forward 30 mins and the whole lot is gone...? And then you STILL have a hearty dinner? That!

*and :embarassed:
  • asciiqwerty
    Options
    Nice maths! It's more a jumbo pack on a Friday or* Saturday night. You know when you open the bag and shake a few into a bowl to go with a drink, then fast forward 30 mins and the whole lot is gone...? And then you STILL have a hearty dinner? That!

of you tell me what and how often I'll happily do the sums for you if it helps give you a target :)
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you will all be fine. I have been here for 54 days and not had a single bag of crisps for the duration, not bad coming from someone who could eat 4-5 bags per day!
    I can honestly say I don't feel the need for crisps now, they are there in the cupboard as the boys and husband have them with the packed lunches but they don't interest me.
    Best wishes to those who take up this challenge - for those who want an extra challenge on top, I have also eliminated all fizzy drink - anyone want to add that?!! :D
  • novembersuse
    Options
    I think it's easily 1200 cals per week or something.... grim!
  • asciiqwerty
    Options
    tracking my endulgences *accurately* seems to reduce my cravings

i think of this as the schrodinger kitty principle - you don't realise it's there 'till you look
  • gmove
    gmove Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i was just craving hot chips. lol

you can do it! i think after a while you'll lose the taste for them.

i gave up diet soday for lent three years ago and haven't had it since. i tried once, but the taste was just disgusting.
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I moved to the states a few years ago and couldn't get on board with how the chocolate tasted different. I basically didn't eat chocolate for at least a year as even when I'd got back to the UK I'd sort of lost my taste for it.
    Unfortunately about a year after moving back, I re-remembered my love of chocolate and I'm back to square one. Some kind of purgatory at the moment with easter eggs all around the place and me pacing myself

I don't need to tell you that I was 20lbs lighter when I lived out there hahaha!

On the whole I don't tend to do soda/ fizzy drinks. Ironically the reason I will have a diet coke now is that I don't like drinking empty calories in alcohol- one lovely gin and tonic will be fine. I don't need to keep necking cheap wine to stay socializing at the bar. I work too hard to have to do that! So I guess I will allow myself the diet coke/ lime and soda water as it's the lesser of two evils.
  • novembersuse
    Options
    It's massively encouraging that the things you've given up have eventually dropped off your radar! I suppose it's a case of giving it a chance and seeing it through, rather than just 'cutting down'. If you can condition yourself not to crave junk food and drink, it's easy streets from then on!

May's too far away, I'm starting now! :smile:
  • asciiqwerty
    Options
    It's massively encouraging that the things you've given up have eventually dropped off your radar! I suppose it's a case of giving it a chance and seeing it through, rather than just 'cutting down'. If you can condition yourself not to crave junk food and drink, it's easy streets from then on!

May's too far away, I'm starting now! :smile:

go for it!
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Too funny - I do the same! Sometimes it's all I can do not to nosebag feed them and eat to the bottom of the bag before I run out of oxygen.

I'm in for trying this too!