HRM

Options
Does a heart rate monitor that you wear like a watch going to give accurate readings? I have one that I got from Walmart that you touch with your fingertips to measure your heart rate. But I was thinking, that if it isn't constantly measuring my heart rate through my whole workout then how is it giving me an accurate reading for say calories burned?

Replies

• lexi0616
    Options
    I use a Polar F6, hot pink wrist band, and black chest strap, love it, and it is waterproof, or sweatproof, you can choose your own liquid to add...:laugh:
  • CHeMoTaCTiC
    CHeMoTaCTiC Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've never used one like that, but I suspect you are right. If it isn't constantly measuring your HR, then its calorie calculations cannot be accurate. I wear a chest band HRM so my rate is measured throughout my workout. I use the adidas miCoach system, but Garmin, Polar, etc. all make wearable HRMs for working out that aren't too terribly expensive. If you are getting serious about fitness, its worth the investment.
  • hockeymom95
    hockeymom95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have tride the wrist kind and you need to update your heart rate by pressing it through out your work out to be accurrate. I did not like that. Plus it did ask for sensitive info like height, weight, age. I returned it and bought a Polar F6 as well and I like it much better. Plus it lets you know it you are in the right zone.
  • Chasie
    Chasie Posts: 8
    Options
    Love the Polar F6 too! It's super user friendly and under $100 bucks... worth every penny. I feel that it's very accurate and it helps me to log the different exercises I do.
  • benmarcum
    benmarcum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    the f6 is pretty great. i agree with everyone else. super user friendly.
  • doo1963
    doo1963 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have a sportsline HRM that you can use just the watch or use with a chest strap. I've found the using just the watch is not really accurate. Plus you have to constantly touch the sensors to get your latest heart rate - that is not really convenient.

Based on other members input, I just bought the Polar FT7. Should be arriving soon.